Possible in reaper

John_C

formerly Skeksis268
Dec 30, 2008
Coventry, UK
www.myspace.com
I get the idea of grouping then transient splitting then quantizing with automatic crossfading etc. for editing drums in reaper

BUT

i get a sound like a machine out of it, it just doesn't have that human quality of not quite perfection to it. This is especially evident in fast sections where a lot of quantizing is taking place.

Is there any way to make a macro or whatever that would only move hits that were out by over a certain threshold, leaving the small mistakes in place?

As a matter of fact, is this possible in any DAW? I hear people talk about how tightly quantized they want something so i guess it must be possible.
Sorry for the ignorance

sonar does it, and you can convert the transients to MIDI, all included in the Audiosnap feature.

And sonar does multitrack editing/quantise too.

I dunno... tell the drummer to play better! Always works :D

haha yeah

What i'm working on atm is a three track demo for my band, and we did the drums in one weekend at the drummers,

recording to an old soundscape SSDR1plus through an 8 channel soundcraft interface and a sony DAT recorder (to get 10 channels into the soundscape overall),

a couple of neumann LDCs as OHs, a studiospares own brand kick drum mic :)

2 sm58s with the pop shields taken off for the snare

some beyerdynamic reporters mic on the high tom
2 old unidynes from the 60s on the mid and floor

another 58 on the low tom

a c1000 under the ride (mistake, sounded god awful, fine as a trigger track though).

No treatment in the (small) room other than curtains on some walls and nowhere near enough mic stands so a few lighting stands were pulled in, and some mics had to be attached to cymbal stands.

had to record at 16 bit 44.1 due to the limitations of Soundcape.

As you can probably tell, there wasn't much time spilling over to shout at the drummer to play better :heh:

He's not exactly used to recording at all, and never practices to a metronome.......

to cut a long story short, this project is taking a LOT of work at the mixing and editing stage, hence the OP

EDIT: as dreadful as all that sounds, i am actually beginning to be pleased with some of the results i'm getting. It's taken a lot of work but i'm learning SO much as i go

can you not manually move the hits about so they are a bit out of time?

a bit time consuming, but if its bothering you that much....

i'm starting to find compromises. Like i'll edit everything except the kick by hand, then quantize the kick. Also i'm starting to listen more and only edit where it actually SOUNDS wrong as opposed to looks wrong on screen

i'm starting to find compromises. Like i'll edit everything except the kick by hand, then quantize the kick. Also i'm starting to listen more and only edit where it actually SOUNDS wrong as opposed to looks wrong on screen

Yea, it's easy to get caught up in the millisecond-world with computers :) It's all about how you perceive it...

... and you're right about the learning as you go thing, it's incredible how much you can learn from shitty projects!

Yea, it's easy to get caught up in the millisecond-world with computers :) It's all about how you perceive it...

... and you're right about the learning as you go thing, it's incredible how much you can learn from shitty projects!

yeah, far far too easy.

It was pretty shocking when i first listened back to the sound i was getting (the whole thing was recorded with me wearing a set of DT100s outside in the corridor haha) on my speakers back home, but with a lot of work and sample replacement/reinforcement it's sounding quite good. I think the best sounding drum was probably the kick in the end, just a £30 SD101 on a mapex m series kick drum :lol:

I appear to be derailing my own thread :erk: