Post-rock content (no metal, sorry!)

ze kink

THE BLACK WIZARDS
Thought I'd post this here too, even though it not metal. Finished mixing this finally yesterday. It's my band's (Jobspeak) demo, which I recorded this autumn. I play bass in the band, I'm not a bassist at all, but we're basically playing just for fun. This is my first real recording (second if we're honest, but the first one was so bad I never talk about it :lol:) too, and first thing I post here!

http://www.kolumbus.fi/lassi.salo/jobspeak_viides2.mp3

Whole demo will be released soon (probably today), so I'll link to the rest of the songs then if anyone's interested.

Recorded in our garage with a laptop running Reaper and a Presonus FP10. No click, we used my X3 Live so the guitarist could play to the drummer's earphones (we were in the same room all the time, because as I mentioned, it was recorded in a garage) though the delay acted as a sort of a click I guess. Some of the scratch guitars were used too for the intro guitars of the songs, because they would've been too hard to record again without a click. I think the intro swells to this song were one of the places where scratch parts were used. When the drums begin it's all amp though.

Drums were my Yamaha Stage Customs and Ludwig Acrolite snare, the kit has old heads but I slapped some new Ambassadors on the Acro before recording. BD miced with a T-bone BD300, snare with a Sm57, two T-bone Sc150's as overheads, Glyn Johns style. I had two room mics, a AKG condenser (can't remember what it was, it was something the guitarist brought) and a Sm57, I only used one and I'm pretty sure it was the Sm57.

Guitar was the Tiny Terror I still owned back then, with my Framus 2x12" with v30's, which I've also sold already. Miced with a Sm57 and the random AKG which was something like 3m away from the cab. We also recorded some stero stuff with a battery powered mini Marshall and the Tiny Terror, but they didn't end up on the recording, because I somehow lost the files :erk: the MS2 miced with a Sm57 sounded suprisingly good though :lol:! Guitar was a JV Squier strat (I think the guitarist used the middle pickup for everything), and the pedals were a couple fuzzes, a Line 6 Echo park and a Crybaby.

Bass was an Ibanez Btb406 and a Behringer BDI21 plugged straight to the Firepod, and a EHX Little Big Muff for the fuzz parts.

Beautiful stuff.
I'm whore for post-rock aha so seeing this on sneap forum is a nice surprise.

Excellent production. Can't really fault it. Some of the guitar delay is a bit jarring, just because it's a bit too fast for the rest of the band at times.
Shiiiit. Bass fuzz just kicked in. Very nice, very nice indeed.

That sounds great to me dude. I'm also a sucker for post-rock like Pelican and Russian Circles.

I always love hearing results like this with non-wallet emptying priced gear. Nice job!

-Joe

Thanks a lot, I really took my time mixing this so it's cool to see it paid off :) It's still not entirely how I'd like it to sound (e.g. the low end is a bit muffled IMO) but overall it was good enough for me to release it. It was indeed recorded with cheap gear, but all of the stuff we used performed rather well! The BD mic was the only thing I had problems with, but I think it was because I'm not very skilled at micing the kick anyway, and the heads were quite old as well.