Post the pictures of the Three Definitive Masterpieces of Power Metal

oh boy...ok, this is REALLY hard to pick three...but here goes:

coversmall.gif
covlotf.jpg

..%5Choly.jpg

I almost feel stupid for not including Keepers Pt2 but I prefer Gamma Ray to Helloween. I was also torn between Powerplant and Land of the Free for GR, tho I think LotF is more "classic." Same goes for why I chose Holy Land over Rebirth, even tho I love Rebirth.

Yngvai X said:
oh boy...ok, this is REALLY hard to pick three...but here goes:
I almost feel stupid for not including Keepers Pt2 but I prefer Gamma Ray to Helloween. I was also torn between Powerplant and Land of the Free for GR, tho I think LotF is more "classic." Same goes for why I chose Holy Land over Rebirth, even tho I love Rebirth.
I sure don't want to send this thread into a genre thing, but I'm curious about your choice of adding "Holy Land". I would never have considered "Holy Land" or..."Rebirth" as POWER METAL. What am I missing????

Pharoah said:
I sure don't want to send this thread into a genre thing, but I'm curious about your choice of adding "Holy Land". I would never have considered "Holy Land" or..."Rebirth" as POWER METAL. What am I missing????

Angra is a powermetal band. Yes they do have a bit of progressive influences, but so do bands like Blind Guardian and Nightwish. They really don't have many odd time signatures or very long songs, and much of their stuff is dugadagadugadaga. So...powermetal, tho very unique powermetal ;).

Yngvai X said:
Angra is a powermetal band. Yes they do have a bit of progressive influences, but so do bands like Blind Guardian and Nightwish. They really don't have many odd time signatures or very long songs, and much of their stuff is dugadagadugadaga. So...powermetal, tho very unique powermetal ;).
OK. Angra goes into my new category of "VERY UNIQUE POWERMETAL" music.
And a dugadagadugadaga to you too, kiddo! :Spin:
P.S. The "Holy Land" CD is great, one of my favs!

Whats up with all the Kamelot. I heard them once and didnt think they were anything super special...

And how come I'm the only one who's mentioned Gamma Ray or Helloween??? How can you NOT have a list of powermetal masterpeices without mentioning the band that created the genre? Or in the case of GR, the man that created the genre (Kai Hansen).

Yngvai X said:
Whats up with all the Kamelot. I heard them once and didnt think they were anything super special...

And how come I'm the only one who's mentioned Gamma Ray or Helloween??? How can you NOT have a list of powermetal masterpeices without mentioning the band that created the genre? Or in the case of GR, the man that created the genre (Kai Hansen).
What disc of Kamelot did you hear??

In some way Dream Theater created the genre of progressive metal but that doesnt mean they have made the masterpieces of progressive metal the same with Gamma Ray and Helloween.
Another exmaple: Eddy Van Helen invented the tapping technique, however some guitarrrist have polished it and developed it, in other words they play better the tapping than Ven Helen.

^^ I guess there's no use to put a pic of The Land Of The Free here, since you already did that for me ;)

So, I'll just add two.

images

images

Luis said:
What disc of Kamelot did you hear??

In some way Dream Theater created the genre of progressive metal but that doesnt mean they have made the masterpieces of progressive metal the same with Gamma Ray and Helloween.
Another exmaple: Eddy Van Helen invented the tapping technique, however some guitarrrist have polished it and developed it, in other words they play better the tapping than Ven Helen.

I didnt hear a specific disc from Kamelot just some mp3s. One of em was Nights of Arabia I think.

I would most certainly include Images and Words amung a definitve list of progressive metal albums. I think any originators of a genre needs to be given credit amung "definitive" albums...for example, there is no argument that Keeper of the Seven Keys pt 2 helped to define the genre of powermetal, hence it is one of the most definitive albums of the genre. You might not, for example, think Images and Words is the best of progmetal, but it certainly defined the genre.

Luis said:
Soul of Ice: I think Fates Warning is more progressive than power.
Yes Fates Warning today is Progressive, not when they first started though. Just like the Angra debate, this album was power, but with prog tendencies ;)

Nights of Arabia is one of my favorite Kamelot songs. But the album Karma is way better. Kamelot should definetely be mentioned when talking about awesome power metal. But I've never heard any Gamma Ray or Helloween (well except for that awesome cover Sonata Arctica did :p ) so I can't really compare. Epica should not be considered Kamelot's best.