post your sexy pics here

Final_Product said:
Terminal velocity. It's when the speed your travelling and the force you exert begins to exceed the wind force being thrusted at you. I think.

The terminal velocity of an object falling towards the ground, in non-vacuum, is the speed at which the gravitational force pulling it downwards is equal and opposite to the atmospheric drag (also called air resistance) pushing it upwards. At this speed, the object ceases to accelerate downwards and falls at constant speed.

For example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a normal free-fall position with a closed parachute is about 195 km/h (120 Mph). This speed increases to about 320 km/h (200 Mph) if the skydiver pulls in his limbs—see also freeflying. This is also the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey, and of a typical bullet according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study [1].

The reason an object reaches a terminal velocity is because the drag force resisting motion is directly proportional to the square of its speed. At low speeds the drag is much less than the gravitational force and so the object accelerates. As it speeds up the drag increases, until eventually it equals the weight. Drag also depends on the cross-sectional area. This is why things with a large surface area such as parachutes and feathers have a lower terminal velocity than small objects like bricks and cannon balls.

Mathematically, terminal velocity is described by the equation
1b9a42b435227fbe11d9b3054b09fdc6.png

where

Vt is the terminal velocity,
m is the mass of the falling object,
g is gravitational acceleration,
Cd is the drag coefficient,
ρ is the density of the fluid the object is falling through, and
A is the object's cross-sectional area.

This equation is derived from the drag equation by setting drag equal to mg, the gravitational force on the object.

Note that the density increases with decreasing altitude, ca. 1% per 80 m (see barometric formula). Therefore, for every 160 m of falling, the "terminal" velocity decreases 1%. After reaching the local terminal velocity, while continuing the fall, speed decreases to change with the local terminal velocity.

Approximating terminal velocity is much more easily done than calculating the terminal velocity because of the difficulty in finding the value of Cd. One simple small scale method is to hang an object out a car window by a thin string. The terminal velocity of the object is the speed of the car when the object hangs at a 45° angle. This can be easily proven mathematically because it is when the atmospheric drag (in the horizontal direction) is equal to the force of gravity.

LadyValerie said:
The terminal velocity of an object falling towards the ground, in non-vacuum, is the speed at which the gravitational force pulling it downwards is equal and opposite to the atmospheric drag (also called air resistance) pushing it upwards. At this speed, the object ceases to accelerate downwards and falls at constant speed.

For example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a normal free-fall position with a closed parachute is about 195 km/h (120 Mph). This speed increases to about 320 km/h (200 Mph) if the skydiver pulls in his limbs—see also freeflying. This is also the terminal velocity of the Peregrine Falcon diving down on its prey, and of a typical bullet according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study [1].

The reason an object reaches a terminal velocity is because the drag force resisting motion is directly proportional to the square of its speed. At low speeds the drag is much less than the gravitational force and so the object accelerates. As it speeds up the drag increases, until eventually it equals the weight. Drag also depends on the cross-sectional area. This is why things with a large surface area such as parachutes and feathers have a lower terminal velocity than small objects like bricks and cannon balls.

where

This equation is derived from the drag equation by setting drag equal to mg, the gravitational force on the object.

Note that the density increases with decreasing altitude, ca. 1% per 80 m (see barometric formula). Therefore, for every 160 m of falling, the "terminal" velocity decreases 1%. After reaching the local terminal velocity, while continuing the fall, speed decreases to change with the local terminal velocity.

Approximating terminal velocity is much more easily done than calculating the terminal velocity because of the difficulty in finding the value of Cd. One simple small scale method is to hang an object out a car window by a thin string. The terminal velocity of the object is the speed of the car when the object hangs at a 45° angle. This can be easily proven mathematically because it is when the atmospheric drag (in the horizontal direction) is equal to the force of gravity.
I SWEAR GOD I KNEW ALL OF THIS AT SOME POINT BUT I'M A-D-D SO I TOTALY FORGET EVERYTHING THAT ISN'T APPLICABLE TO MY DAY-TO-DAY LIFE

and of a typical bullet according to a 1920 U.S. Army Ordnance study

yea, u dont know much about what u wear talking about, but in 1920 they didnt have supersonic bullets like they do nowadays, but otherwise, good job on that.

LadyValerie said:

where

Consider me told :p Although, had i remembered any of my high-school physics classes, i shoulda known that.

Zygote said:
Yeah, you don't know much about what you were talking about, but in 1920 they didn't have supersonic bullets like they do nowadays, but otherwise, good job on that.

I didn't write the article, Chief ;)

P.S. If you take a semi-automatic pistol of the time, for example, a standard Colt 1911, and compare it to a modern standard Colt 1911, you'll see that it's been virtually unchanged. Besides, I don't think they were talking about a .50 BMG, thus, they said "typical bullet."

Have you ever noticed that when you're in a car and you stick your head out the window, the wind (air) rushes into your face and it's sometimes hard to breathe? I'm guessing falling from a very high building will have the same effect...

...but, I don't think the person would die due to loss of breath while in the air. Loss of breath causes a person to pass out first and not die, but if the person doesn't regain conciousness in time, they'll die. So the person would probably pass out while in the air, then hit the ground and die, probably not feeling the impact.

LadyValerie said:
Have you ever noticed that when you're in a car and you stick your head out the window, the wind (air) rushes into your face and it's sometimes hard to breathe? I'm guessing falling from a very high building will have the same effect...

...but, I don't think the person would die due to loss of breath while in the air. Loss of breath causes a person to pass out first and not die, but if the person doesn't regain conciousness in time, they'll die. So the person would probably pass out while in the air, then hit the ground and die, probably not feeling the impact.
KICK-ASS

LadyValerie said:
I didn't write the article, Chief ;)

P.S. If you take a semi-automatic pistol of the time, for example, a standard Colt 1911, and compare it to a modern standard Colt 1911, you'll see that it's been virtually unchanged. Besides, I don't think they were talking about a .50 BMG, thus, they said "typical bullet."

Okay first off, I made a typo, I meant to say, I don’t know much about what u were talking about, sorry that u misunderstood me.

And you’re are right many guns of the time are very similar, to guns in use nowadays, but the first mass produced supersonic gun was the M1 Garand, which comes out of the WW2 era.

If there is on thing I know a lot about it is guns, I own 9 rifles, 1 shotgun and 6 pistols.

By the way, don’t correct my spelling, I know I make errors, if I really cared, I would take the time to fix them, the only reason I wrote this in proper grammar was to prove this to you.

P.S. the 1903 springfield was supersonic as well, I have no idea how I forgot about that, you were right, I admit it...