Potters Field.

Jockthrax

Mar 9, 2002
Glasgow
www.anthrax.com
Now maybe im just looking at modern day Thrax though rose tinted specs but i cannot believe how over looked "potters field" is. This is the song that launched Anthrax into the 90's. I can remember watching an old Uk show caled Raw Power or Noisy Mothers as it later was know and hearing a few tid-bits from SOWN. I had always liked POT and ATL but was more into Megadeth and Sepultura, but i heard the intro to Potters Field and my nose was turned......Why the hell dont the Thrax play this little jem anymore................?

johnnieCzech said:
What does the "Potters Field" really mean? What is the place?

From what I've read in Justin's Madhouse, the tune is about abortion but doesn't take a particular stance as the band members have different opinions on the issue.

Potters Field the actual physical place is the generalized name of a cemetary where the nameless and in some cases prisoners who have no one to collect their bodies are buried.

They're everywhere.

"Potters Field" may not be getting play on this tour, but I recall them doing it several times over the years. And yes, there are potters graves all over the world. I think the one that actually inspired this song was the island near LaGuardia Int. Airport where all of those crack babies are buried. Hence the theme of the song, ' would it have been better if I were just not born at all????'

Loved the whole album, potters field, black lodge, sodium-pentathol & not an exit are great music!

I remember that we used to have a local show here based off of the U.G.A. campus called 30 MINUTES of ROCK, which was oddly enough, 2 hours long. They were local metalheads who got EVERY major star who came through to intro the show before the credits, ala Jackass style. MC Hammer, Pantera,
Denis Leary....list gos on and on. Anyway they would play Hy Pro Glo and Black Lodge like mutherfuckers on that show. Hy Pro Glo was, and still is my fave Thrax song to date, and I thought the whole 50's retro- atom- bomb- war- propaganda film take on the vid was sweet!
Anyhoo, the very last episode aired (the station was bought by christians for their "send god some money" crap) and they did it live and took requests by phone. Heres the play list.
HyProGlo
Train of Consequences - Megadeth
walk - Pantera
Sad But True - metallica
Estranged - GnR
Bring the Noise
Thunderstruck - ac/dc
One - Metallica
When Will It Rain - Jackyl
Sweating Bullets - MegadetH
and the very last video ever, that I requested:
Black Lodge

twas a sad day. At 12:01 the multi colored screen came up and I had nowhere to get my metal anymore. The ball on mtv got lame and were playing shit then, alternative was oozing into the ball and I knew metal was dead. Almost 10 years later,as w/ all things - it's being revived. I'd love to get some local time and do another show like 30 minutes of Rock. I talk to the old host, Chris a few times on radio ( he's a dj at a U.G.A rock station that I can BARELY recieve..and he said that the damn christian company threw out all of his video library b/c he didn't remove it all from the storeroom in time. That is pure evil my friends.

anyhoo, that has nothing to do w/ Potters Field, but this thread made me think of it anyways.

I'm GregadetH, and this is 30 Minutes of Rock! Let's Start it off w/ a little SLAYER! \m/
( Just imagine Mc Hammer saying that, what a fuckin' hoot!)

TD said:
"Potters Field" may not be getting play on this tour, but I recall them doing it several times over the years. And yes, there are potters graves all over the world. I think the one that actually inspired this song was the island near LaGuardia Int. Airport where all of those crack babies are buried. Hence the theme of the song, ' would it have been better if I were just not born at all????'

Yeah, there was a movie a couple of years ago with Michael Douglas playing a psychiatrist and they go there. I forget the title. They also bury paupers and aborted fetuses there too.

In the bible (in case you believe that thing), the money Judas Iscariat got for betraying Jesus was used to buy such a field. http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030611.html

In '93 they usually opened with "Potter's Field." I have a bootleg from Paris very early in the tour where they open with that and go straight into "Only." Later as "Only" got big they pushed it further back into the set, where it remains to this day. In '94 (Raging Bull tour) in the US they opened with "Caught in a Mosh" and "Got the Time" and put "Potter's Field" a couple more songs back into the set. I've never seen a set after SOWN with it in there, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

jdelpi said:

In the bible (in case you believe that thing), the money Judas Iscariat got for betraying Jesus was used to buy such a field. .

Seriously, the Bible is a good read. And that's high praise from someone who does not attend church. Kinda like Beavis said, " Hey Butthead, you should check out this book. It's got like burning bushes, and a naked chick and this guy knocking over tables and stuff!"

I'm glad Thrax lyrics make you think. Too many bands have "filler" lyrics.
Cool titles too...it took me days to realize that c11 h17 n2 o2 S Na
was Sodium Pentathol. o_O That was fucking genius.

jdelpi said:
Yeah, there was a movie a couple of years ago with Michael Douglas playing a psychiatrist and they go there. I forget the title. They also bury paupers and aborted fetuses there too.

In the bible (in case you believe that thing), the money Judas Iscariat got for betraying Jesus was used to buy such a field. http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20030611.html

In '93 they usually opened with "Potter's Field." I have a bootleg from Paris very early in the tour where they open with that and go straight into "Only." Later as "Only" got big they pushed it further back into the set, where it remains to this day. In '94 (Raging Bull tour) in the US they opened with "Caught in a Mosh" and "Got the Time" and put "Potter's Field" a couple more songs back into the set. I've never seen a set after SOWN with it in there, but that doesn't mean they didn't.

Cleveland '96
Cincy '98
and I know of one other time, but I can't remember the exact show, but I was there.