Powerglove

Crazy Booduh

May 19, 2009
Anyone heard of these guys? They primarily do video game covers a la Vangough's "Game On" but they take take some pretty awesome creative liberties with the original music and have some badass guitar solos. These guys can seriously play. Apparently they formed from the pieces of a defunct melodic death metal band.

As someone who grew up in the golden age of video games, this brings a big smile to my face. However, even if you don't recognize the material you'll find some really awesome instrumental power metal.

You will recognize a few of their songs if you bought Vangough's "Game On," though technically these guys did it first :D

Here's a couple samples:
Vanquish the Horrible Night (Castlevania):
Red Wings Over Baron (Final Fantasy IV):
Holy Orders (Guilty Gear X):
So Sexy Robotnik (Sonic the Hedgehog 2):

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought their "Saturday Morning Apocalypse" CD after seeing them open for Symphony X. The younger folks went nuts for 'em, they put on a great show. Tight musicians, hilarious stage props, throwing candy into the audience- they really went all out!
The CD I have is mostly instrumental metal renditions of old cartoon themes, but two tracks have guest vocals from Sonata Arctica's Tony Kakko. Definitely a nostalgia factor at work here. It's a fun little CD, and their shows are a goofy good time! Always thought the X-Men cartoon theme was metal :kickass:

Yeah, that's their last album and they kind of strayed from their usual video game theme. Their next CD returns to video games.

"Saturday Morning Apocalypse" was a good album and definitely pulls on the nostalgia strings since I grew up with those shows. However, I think using video games as your source material is much more conducive to great metal music so I think "Metal Combat for Mortal Men" is the superior album, but I don't think it's readily available.

I heard that the rhythm guitarist is left-handed but uses a right-handed guitar flipped 180°, so the string configuration is completely backwards. That's crazy!

I watched a live video on YouTube of them performing the Pokemon theme song. It's pretty great to hear a bunch of metal heads yelling the words to that song. "Gotta catch 'em all!" :kickass:

I dig the cartoon themes because I was never much of a gamer but I'd see 'em live any day, and will definitely check out the next album!

Hi hi, new here and all that. Anyway, this band gives me a HUGE nerd boner. They just released a video for their cover of The Batman Theme by Danny Elfman that was great.