Powerless situation

First of all, @Lordenlil I don't know at all what to say...but anything that I could think up, you've probably heard before. I feel for you, because I've been there. <---I bet you've heard that once or twice already huh? :cry:

Secondly...I'll have to agree with Blackspirit...for me it's better to feel emotions (both good and bad) rather than just turn them off when the don't suite me. It keeps me grounded, and makes me appreciate life from where I stand.

Sometimes when things are just so shit and I want to die, I remember that no matter what...it could always be worse. There will always be someone else worse off than me. It's not the nicest thing to think, but it helps to a degree.

Shutting off your feelings is very practical. Go through enough shit, and it's simply a matter of choosing wheter to do it or not. I guess you know allready.

I'm just saying what I consider healthy.

I didn't mean to post such a depressing story here. I kinda had
my regrets afterwards. But since you're all such a nice and
lovely bunch, it's really no problem :D

When my father died, it's, what, 6 years ago, I was dewvastated. Obviously. But life goes on, I never talked about it, and never will. It's better that way. 4\5 of my family's gone, one way or the other. I just keep it inside, mainly.

Or maybe I'm just that kind of guy who lets the shit build up inside, and then blows. Time will tell. Sooner or later, time will tell.

I'm mentally strong enough to keep it going, at least that's what I hope. A minor breakdown every few months, where I just don't want to live anymore, well, that's normal. But as long as I keep going, and don't go down, all is well.

Originally posted by Blackspirit
More powerless situations; The situation I am in at
work. It SUCKS! I have _NO_ power over my self. I
have to sit there and wait for other people to make
decisions for and OVER me!!

Yeah! I know EXACTLY how you feel. We have layoffs coming in 2 months... we've known that they were going to come for the past 3 months, but the meeting I had today made it MUCH more foreboding. I thought that people in my position (long story) would be safe from the layoffs, but we're definitely not. And to a certain extent, we're more vulnerable than others.

To expound on that a bit, I was supposed to start traveling for my company in November. We make a lot of money from people consulting like this. And you have to get "invited" to do this. (It's sort of automatic to get invited. It's done by seniority). Well, I was invited before, but that has been revoked, and they're doing the invitations again. I may get re-invited, or I may not. No one knows. If I am invited, I'm pretty much guaranteed a job. If not, I get thrown into the lottery like everyone else in the company. (It's not an actual lottery for layoffs, but from my end, it makes no difference).

Foreboding: Since several English speaking folk that I've been talking to don't know this word, I should say something about it.
Essentially, it's a sense of something bad happening in the future.

I'll go back to drinking...
At least there's only 9 hours until the world cup starts... I should get to bed!

I know what you mean about the blue jays - that's the most hateful bird on earth. I have seen them even give cats grief too. They will go after squirrels - and sometimes people.

Anyway, I would rather myself be hurt than for an animal to be hurt. My son found a baby bird (turns out it was a blue jay) - it was newly born and had fallen from the nest. He got stroppy when I told him we couldn't keep it . There is this one veterinarian in our town that does bird rescue so I put the bird in a box with some cedar shavings and we took him up there. They hand fed the bird and kept it in an incubator and released it about a month later. There's no way it would have lived if we hadn't taken it there.

Allison...you are a good person indeed! How many people would even give a second thought to helping the poor little guy?!

And yes the blue jay is a very mean bully, but it's common for larger birds to go after the eggs of another bird nest and even younger birds. They'll even kill their own if it was handled by a human, because the scent has changed and they no longer recognize the bird as their own.

@Nattestid - We did what we could! I'm sure the little bird is ok now, she just needed to catch some air before flying home. :)
(Although I wish we could have brought her with us). hehe

Rune Fairy - Thank you :) I see animals as my equal. if I found a newborn baby abandoned I'd take it to hospital, a bird or any other animal is no different in my eyes. Some people think I'm stupid to think that way but that's too bad.

Lordenlil.........I just read through the whole topic. I can't begin to imagine the pain you felt about losing your brother........I am so very sorry that happened to you. :( I know it must have been difficult initially for you to write all that here too.

I don't usually tell deeply personal things on the net but hell, your strength inspired me so here I will tell about my powerless situation:

The situation I feel totally powerless in right now concerns my younger sister. she is going through what is about the nastiest divorce one could imagine. I have 2 nieces aged 9 and 11 who this has taken a toll on. The asshole she is divorcing is violent, abusive, he's an alcoholic, drug addict, and he's going out of his way to make this as difficult as possible for my sister and nieces. All of my family are in New orleans and I am here in Florida. I wish I could do more and just take her and the kids away from there. I go about every 3 months to New orleans to see them - I just got back from there last night in fact - and it kills me to see my eldest niece - a lovely little girl - so ridden with hatred for her father and depression. And I don't know what more to do about it. I feel helpless because I should be able to do something more than just counsel them - but what?

I have this habit of disregarding myself because I feel other people's pain and hate to see anyone suffer for anything. I feel that my problems are secondary to anyone else's and my place is to help others first. I have long ago lost the ability to panic so I just instead worry about everyone around me and if they are alright. I do have a lot of emotions but I think I must have at some point reached an understanding of them or something because it even baffles my husband no end that I remain totally calm and passive in the face of a crisis. Maybe I process emotion differently. I guess too much visualisation over the years does that to you.....I don't know. this might sound strange, but it would be nice if i could fall totally apart sometimes I think. I don't know, if there's a purpose to all of this, I haven't found it yet.

Thanks again! I appreciate it. :)

And Allison;
What you describe truly sucks, and it's one of the most
devastating things that could happen a child. It's taking away
one of the most basic things a human (in particular a child) needs,
which is the trust, loyalty, support etc. from their closest family.
The mother and the father.

I really hope he leaves them alone after that divorce..
Men who beat women are some of the most pathetic humans
I know of. And there are lots of them. :mad:
Fucking loosers! :yuk:

Indeed. There are two things in the world I care about. Animals, and female humans (to a certain extent. After all, they're still humans).
Allison: I suppose I'm very much like you, from what you described in the second paragraph. Which is odd, seeing I've got more than a couple less years on my back than you.

yeah, I'm feelin' powerless now. From what I said on another post, jobs at my company are up in the air for the next 6 weeks. But the first people to find out if they are "guaranteed" jobs are those going on the road in November. I was previously chosen to go, and just yesterday, they made a new list for the assignment. I'm still on that list, so I have a job.

But one of my good friends (Becky for those of you taking notes at home), didn't make the list. And friendly feelings aside, I KNOW she would do better than many others that were chosen instead of her. (She was also on the "first draft" list I spoke of).

Fucking hell. If it comes to it, I will crack some heads to get her in, but I still need to keep my job. :(

I don't really care that much about animals
if it's animal against animal I don't have a problem
I have a problem with people who messes up with animals
but I do think some animals are way better than mankind
like wolves