PP Band Recommendations

Harleyguy

Savaholic
At this risk of sounding like a total dweeb......

I am attending Progpower for the first time this year...
I am primarily going to see Savatage and Taj Mahal....As i am a BIGGGGG tage NUT!!!!

I also cant wait to see EDGUY....

But the others i have heard of but am not overly familiar with.....

Any recomendations on what to get from who???

I am not a big fan of the Rhapsody style vocals and nothing but double bass drum....
I like Metal!.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....I look forward to maybe meeting some of you there!!!..

Raise The Fist Of The Metal Child!!! :headbang:

I'm not familiar with any of the first 3 acts on either night. I just picked up the newest from Tad Morose and Into Eternity though. Tad Morose is pretty impressive so far, but Into Eternity is not...though others seem to disagree :p.

I HIGHLY suggest checking out Pain of Salvation. They may not be completely metal, but you get raw emotion and great music, whether it be heavy or not. Check out these song, most are heavier:

!(forward)
Beyond The Pale
Used
Ashes
Idioglossia
Ending Theme
Undertow
The Perfect Element

I wholeheartedly disagree on Into Eternity; I think they are awesome, but they certainly aren't for everybody. If you primarily like Savatage and things like Savatage, you probably won't like Into Eternity. both of their more widely available CDs are good if you want to give them a try; most people prefer Buried In Oblivion, from what I've read.

Far From the Maddening Crowd seems to be Wuthering Heights's best album, and it is amazing, to put it briefly.

My favorite Kamelot CD is The Fourth Legacy, and several people seemed to agree on the Kamelot thread. No one album of theirs is horribly different from the rest, in my experience, but Fourth Legacy seems to be a slight cut above the others.

The rest i don't really know enough to comment.

Ryan

Just a matter of opinion and from what I have read on previous threads it seems that Kamelots "Karma" album is best. Although "The Fourth Legacy" was the disc that really launched them, "Karma" is just so damn good, first song to last, and unfortunately I know I'm going to get blasted here but I doubt that most people would not agree with me there.

http://www.meta-fan.net "Your Source For All Things Metal!"

Well actually my tastes are all over the place....

I like ENCHANT, Opeth(Damnation Stuff), Royal Hunt, Artension. Masquarade.Pegans Mind...Stuff Like that

I am VERY openminded....I'm not stuck into 1 mode at all...

I just dont go for the Operatic type vocals ala Rhapsody and the like....
I am a drummer and i cant stand just straight on double bass drumming thru the whole song...

I love feeling......I have to feel the music...

I'll to see if i can find some samples of the tunes somewhere... :headbang:

I've been on a buying spree since the lineup was announced, buying at least an album or two from all of the bands except Into Eternity (no death vocals for me, thanks).

Here are the CD's I'd recommend if you want to get a good taste of what's in store at PP5:

Dreamscape - End of Silence
Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi
Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy
Adagio - Underworld
Wuthering Heights - Far from the Madding Crowd
Brainstorm - Soul Temptation
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane
Edguy - Vain Glory Opera

If you guys are not familiar with Adagio, I HIGHLY recommend you get Sanctus Ignis and Underworld. They are gonna blow the place away, mark my words!

Harleyguy said:
Well actually my tastes are all over the place....

I like ENCHANT, Opeth(Damnation Stuff), Royal Hunt, Artension. Masquarade.Pegans Mind...Stuff Like that

I am VERY openminded....I'm not stuck into 1 mode at all...

I just dont go for the Operatic type vocals ala Rhapsody and the like....
I am a drummer and i cant stand just straight on double bass drumming thru the whole song...

I love feeling......I have to feel the music...

I'll to see if i can find some samples of the tunes somewhere... :headbang:
What up, HarleyGuy? I remember you from the Savatage board. Looks like we have some similar tastes (Enchant, Royal Hunt, Masquerade). My recommendations:
Brainstorm - Ambiguity //heavy melodic metal done right, very good album ... kind of Angel Dust-ish
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane //think less goofy Faith No More with unbridled emotion ... very powerful and dynamic ... super melodic
Edguy - Theater of Salvation //some typical double bass power metal, but better than most ... Helloween with more broadway drama ... great sava-like vocals in some places

Wuthering Heights' "To Travel Forevermore" is also very good.

Check out the reviews on my site.

-matt
np: Gamma Ray - Watcher in the Sky

Sup Matt!!!!......Yeah i remember ya

Savatage Website????...Whats that??......LOL

Cool....I will definately check out all the recomendations, i definately dont want to go in there blind...

Hey Glenn.....Imagine that....LOL...I saw that after i posted....DOH!!! :loco:

for some reason when i first heard adagio i didn't like them. a few months later i gave underworld another spin and i fell in love with it. it is probably one of the METAL albums recorded(top 15). to describe them i would say they are a dark orchestral symphony x w/ outstanding keyboard/guitar/bass work. The drummer does do double bass alot but he does alt of cool stuff with it although they have a new guy now. And the singer DAVID READMAN has so much feeling in his voice. He sort of reminds me of Tony Martin from sabbath who is also awesome.

Here's my favorites of a few of the PP bands

Kamelot - the Fourht Legacy
Brainstorm - Soul Temptation (my #1 pick of 2003)
Adagio - either of their 2, both are equally liked by me
Into Eternity - Dead or Dreaming
Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi (the newest) or Undead
Edguy - Mandrake
Wuthering Heights - Far From the Madding Crowd

I have yet to pick up a Dreamscape album, and I really didn't like POS at PPIII, but will give em another chance this year.

Pain of Salvation is a must.

Hard to pigeonhole their sound really. Part Faith No More, Floyd, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Simon & Garfunkel and Jesus Christ Superstar with a very modern sound and edge (you can hear some slight nu-metal influences as well as some grunge and rap). Nu-prog-emo metal maybe, but even that is selling them short and not even close to the ideas it might conjure. You just have to hear them, and you have to hear an entire album...undistracted...giving it your full attention and allowing yourself to become enveloped in the music and storyline (they are all concepts).

pAran0id anDr0id said:
Pain of Salvation is a must.

Hard to pigeonhole their sound really. Part Faith No More, Floyd, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Simon & Garfunkel and Jesus Christ Superstar
Don't forget Alan Parsons Project. My equation would look like:
PoS = DT + FNM + JCSS + APP + System of a Down.

-matt
np: Enchant - Tug of War

DT Jesus said:
Don't forget Alan Parsons Project. My equation would look like:
PoS = DT + FNM + JCSS + APP + System of a Down.

-matt
np: Enchant - Tug of War
I regret that I haven't heard APP. Can you recommend me an album to get me started on them?

pAran0id anDr0id said:
I regret that I haven't heard APP. Can you recommend me an album to get me started on them?

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination !!!
APP is an awesome band, I love them