Practicing Metalcore mixes (AxeFX)

sounds good to me even the soloed guitar at 0:22 sounds horribly distorted, seems like it works in a mix!

the axe-fxand it's possibilities, dunno if i like /hate it.

i had a few great (IMO :D) patches but i deleted them as i wanted to
create a few completely new ones, got tired of retweaking the same few patches again and again.

cheers
S.

Could you share some information on the axe patch? I just picked one up and having a frustrating time getting started. I love that I have 2772937383030 features at my disposal but it has also made getting an acceptable tone a nightmare. So some info on guitars would be much appreciated. I see that you are not completely happy with your tone but aside from it being a little over gained I think it sounds great.

general tips:

- turn off the gate, it may be helfpul but try to dial in a sound that does not require a gate
- keep the gain low
- keep patches as simple as possible

amp block tips:

- keep the "boost" off, except you are using a model that does not have enough gain
- keep the "bright" switch off, if your tone is too dark, lover the bass!
- keep the bass low in general, also you can work with rather extreme low cut options, then add bass afterwards to get some more ballls
- in the advanced options keep depth at "0", the higher you go the mudier the sound gets
- turn "damp" up, turn "sag" down, this helps to get more bite/definition. do not turn "sag" too much 2-3 should be perfect.
- leave "warmth" and "thump" down, may be good for blues but not for crushing metal tones.
- just as in real life you can use a TS808 to boost some mids, just leave the gain at "0" and turn up the "tone" high settings may sound nasal, i have it set to 6-7
- use low cut/hi cut settings to ger rid of unwanted frequencies. the axe has about 10000 places where you can set hi/low cuts, i haven't found the one setting where it works the best but i often set it in the drive (TS808) block

cab block tips:
- find a good IR! :D
- i could upload some good free IR's i've collected in the past few years btw, just let me know

hope this helps a bit! :)

cheers
S.

general tips:

- turn off the gate, it may be helfpul but try to dial in a sound that does not require a gate
- keep the gain low
- keep patches as simple as possible

amp block tips:

- keep the "boost" off, except you are using a model that does not have enough gain
- keep the "bright" switch off, if your tone is too dark, lover the bass!
- keep the bass low in general, also you can work with rather extreme low cut options, then add bass afterwards to get some more ballls
- in the advanced options keep depth at "0", the higher you go the mudier the sound gets
- turn "damp" up, turn "sag" down, this helps to get more bite/definition. do not turn "sag" too much 2-3 should be perfect.
- leave "warmth" and "thump" down, may be good for blues but not for crushing metal tones.
- just as in real life you can use a TS808 to boost some mids, just leave the gain at "0" and turn up the "tone" high settings may sound nasal, i have it set to 6-7
- use low cut/hi cut settings to ger rid of unwanted frequencies. the axe has about 10000 places where you can set hi/low cuts, i haven't found the one setting where it works the best but i often set it in the drive (TS808) block

cab block tips:
- find a good IR! :D
- i could upload some good free IR's i've collected in the past few years btw, just let me know

hope this helps a bit! :)

cheers
S.

This has helped indeed thanks dude.

I would love to try some new irs if you got em. I'm using the axe 2 though and I know there is conversion issues. At least with amps and effects (idk about cabs though). Could try though.

Thanks

i have axe-fx standard IR's only, they can be converted but i think you'll better with IR's that were made for the axe-fx II. i'm sure you have already checked the Redwirez and Ownhammer IR's?
they have axe-fx II ready IR's!

cheers
S.