Practise room challenge mix/master song. Rewards!

iampax

New Metal Member
Dec 10, 2015
Hello everyone.
I hope I am posting in right place. Based on forum observation I've notice that many people joining here because they like to practise their mixing skills and we know its really difficult kind of art! My band HOLD UP www.holdup.org.uk currently looking for a new mix engineer to help us with upcoming ep (2017) but we are still looking for a sound and we love to see what you guys can do. We are looking for modern sounding post hardcore . I have made a very rough version mix of the song just to give you brief look into whats in the folder (I understand it may not be everyone cup of tea) .Please receive my apologies but I am not mix engineer myself so hopefully you won't be pushed off :D

[LINK INVALID ANYMORE] ,DEADLINE 13TH OF NOVEMBER

I would like to kindly ask you to keep that in thread and not sharing in on youtube or soundcloud.
If you willing to to participate in this challenge you can send your mp3/wav in link to holdupband@mail.com
or on pm .
We will listen all the work and choose best mix.
Winning song mix will be released as a video where we will also promote winner , 50$ paypal transfer just to say thank you + mixing/mastering of two more songs (negotiable stake between us and producer)
We really appreciate your time .

Last edited:
Hey we got arranged video shoot on the last week of November .Until then we need to choose winning mix ,I would say deadline ( middle of the month) if its possible.

had nothing to do this morning so I gave it a shot, but I have a few issues:
The DI bass is clipping and there are a few clicks on it, seems like bad editing (ack of crossfades)!
The vocals distord a lot too, is that on purpose?
Cause I really find the distortion unmusical and harsh...

Reactions: Vihaleipä
Nice song, but has some recording issues. Can i upload to my soundcloud in private to post here?

Yes ,unfortunately there is a few vocals parts that there are distorted , when they has been sent for a vocals tuning it was just too late .. i just hope there is any chance to cover them somehow with effects to reduce that distortion ..please receive our apologies..

Yo guys, i really dig this and just wanted to know if you are alright with some extra effects(filters/Sub drops etc) thrown in to enhance the song/mix? If not then absolutely no proplems :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Yo guys, i really dig this and just wanted to know if you are alright with some extra effects(filters/Sub drops etc) thrown in to enhance the song/mix? If not then absolutely no proplems :)

Cheers
hey yes u can add samples,change the way you think it sounds right, filters or sub drops ,you can even change the structure of the drums if you like... as long a whole structure of the song will stay the same :)

First of all, Great song guys!

@Vihreff - good job on the mix man
I noticed you changed the drums a little, so if you guys liked the changes I can change them too.

Here's my quick mix, If you have any comments or notes about it (like: More volume on the drums, more vocals, less cymbals, guitars too strong ect) just tell me and I'll fix it in the next version. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Made a Fade-In in the beginning
And for everyone, upload your mixes here so we can all hear them!:headbang:

Last edited:
Just to let you know guys ,the deadline is until end of next week ( 13th of November) but also bear in mind that link with stems will expire on 7th) . We then gonna spend time to listen all mixes again and choose the winner, we will annaunce here on forum. Song will be officially released as video clip at the begining of December . Good luck

Thanks for the multi, this was very fun to mix ! Some recording issues, but I enjoyed it.
I sent you a mail, check you're spam folder if you didn't receive it, I often get issue with my mail address.

@Kevin Hawke - Nice mix, it's powerful, and I love your bass !
A bit too reverb on scream vocals for me, but it's a matter of tastes. Except for this, sounds pretty good for me.

Her's my try :

Def. not a killer mix, tho I did my best !
If there's something harsh bout my mix, tell me please :)

Last edited:

Quick (one lateee night, haha) beta mix of the song! Only quickly touched up the drums... just wanted to post up where I was at w/this song so far!

Listening back I know the OH's are a little harsh / loud but I've learned to not obsess too much when trying to just have fun, haha... :)

Reactions: iampax
Hey @iampax ! Here is my mix of the song, i really enjoyed the song, more than the references hahahaha. Hope you guys like and i´m totally open for any changes ok? Mp3 on the email.

Some infos:
- Guitars reamped through a 5150 preamp and a brazillian boutique poweramp, eminence v128 and a shure sm57

- Bass reamped the DI through a MXR Bass DI+ for the clean sound and a Darkglass b3k for the dirty, Ownhammer impulses.

- Drums are humanized note by note and i use Superior Drummer (metal foundry, music city and avatar extensions)

- All vocals sincronized for more tight sound

hello guys , First of all we would like to say BIG THANKS to all of you who sent mixes . It was amazing to see how many of talented guys are out there . There is a bright future for many of you. So many good mixes ,we have had really hard time to choose a winner! Out of 23 mixes we had to choose only one . Decision was really tough because there were so many bloody good mixes ,and we were listening each of them on repeat over and over again Decision has been made and the winner is @EmpireStudios .Congratulation.!! Your mix is absolutely great ,everything mixed and compressed to the high standards ,great effects and interesting transitions . There is 5 members in the band and everyone agreed at the end that this is our winner! The link to the song will be uploaded with video release on 4th December . Best Regards