Pre-birthday mini-haul

Spiff

I have the power
Apr 14, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Because it's my birthday next Thursday, I decided to buy myself some pressies. They are:

Dream Theater - Octovarium (their new - 8th! - album)

Bruce Dickinson - Alive (the remasters thingies of his two solo live albums, which I believe I sold when I was after some quick cash)

Dwight Yoakam - Blame the Vain (his new one, without Pete Anderson producing or playing guitars - I think that's the first time in Dwight's 20-something year recording career)

I was going to buy a jazz CD because I've been listening to "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis a bit this week, but I didn't have a clue what to get. So, to you jazz gurus, what does someone who likes "Kind of Blue" (which I've heard is the jazz album for those who hate jazz) get next? I saw a three-disc compilation of Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker stuff for $23 but, because I'm an idiot, decided not to get it.

So, yeah.

Yes massah!

Kids, the Dream Theater CD is surprisingly good. I've been pretty much just buying their CDs for the last five or six years out of loyalty without really being that keen on them, but this one is good so far (halfway through it), probably because it sounds so commercial. Well, that song I just listened to ("I Walk Beside You") does, anyway - it's begging to be released as their break-through (or sell-out) single.

Yah... I've had Octavarium for a few weeks now and it is good. Kind of a step back in the Falling into Infinity album in a few places.. But still has some rockin tracks.

Has TOT heaviness in the opener The Root of all Evil which is the next in the 12 step epic (Glass Prison > This Dying Soul > The root of all evil)

I walk beside you sounds like U2. Never Enough is VERY muse-ish.

Panic attack is pretty heavy.

The 24 minute title track is an absolute masterpiece. Some Pink Floyd/Yes influences to begin before getting heavier half way through... There is even a whole megadeth/Dave Mustaine style section where James almost speaks the lyrics. I love this song so much. Some parts remind me of that song that Metallica always open with at concerts 'Ecstacy of Gold' (??). When the orchestra kicks in at the end of Oct together with Petruccis final solo... Just gives me shivers every time

Surprisingly, there aren't that many real guitar solos on the album. Jordan is pretty prominent throughout.

I agree Spurcey. First listen I noticed a few very Muse-ish moments and I Walk Beside You sounds very U2 but is a great song.

And Spiff, im not sure if I would call it a sell-out song, they have done songs before like it - Solitary Shell and a few others.

I like the album. Jordan rocks although I am a bit disappointed with the lack of solos.

But JP's final solo at the end of Octavarium with the orcestra playing beneath him makes up for it! Fuckin brilliant :headbang:

Also... I think this is James best effort in years. He is very tasteful and restrained.. Especially on songs like The Answer lies within and the first half of Octavarium

Yeah, I was just kidding about the sell-out bit, but it's definitely their most chart-friendly song since Hollow Years IMO.

I still haven't listened to the last track yet, I don't seem to stay on the computer long enough, and I only listen to CDs when I'm on the PC, but I'm ripping it to my iRiver so I can listen to it at work. Wikkid.

Glaring error in the Brucey Live Albums booklet by Dave Ling:

"Welcome to the third installment of Bruce Dickinson's solo catalogue re-vamp. You join us for two intriguing concert recordings made some 14 years apart. The first of these, Alive in Studio A, captures the former Iron Maiden singer shortly after the release of his band's second album, 1994's avant-garde Balls to Picasso."

OK, so let's have a look. The 14 years part is dodgy - if it Alive in Studio A was indeed recorded in 1994 then that means that Scream For Me Brazil was recorded 14 years later, in 2008.

And then later on he says that Alive in Studio A was released on 27th February, 1985. Good to see quality control is still alive and well.