Pre & Converter suggestions to use with MBox

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Hey everyone

Wanted to pick your brains and get some ideas/suggestions/opinions on this. I've been using ProTools LE and I'm pretty much happy with it so I'm not looking to change my DAW but the only interface I have is my MBox. Now this isn't really much of a problem since I have access to a couple of studios to do actual tracking on a larger scale (drums and such) and only use my Mbox for when I need to do some overdubs for projects at home, various guitar parts, keys, etc ... things that I like to spend more time with and of course, so that I'm able to run PT. Now I've been thinking for a while about upgrading some of my own recording gear but I have no need for anything with 8-16 channels blah blah blah since the most I would ever be doing is the stuff I mentioned above. Now a lot of people say they pres in the MBox are pretty nice but the converters suck ass. That being the case, can you guys make some suggestions of how I could improve my signal chain to go into PT without having to buy something like a 002 or 003 and the using the lightpipe for to hook up something better? I'm thinking any type of 2-4 channel pres and either seperate converters or something that is just overall better than the MBox with both ... and then also how I could hook that up to work. Any ideas would be appreciated. This isn't something I'm looking to do immediately, would just be nice to have some good ideas on what to look at. As far as budget, well, I would say anything in the $2000 - $4000 range just to see what you guys can come up with. Thanks in advance

Cheers!:kickass:

www.myspace.com/shadowdancemusic

Yeah, true that, that thing rules (my school got one last semester, and I had the pleasure of using it on guitars for a session, kicked ass!)

Or if 2 g's is above your budget, there's always the ART Digital MPA Gold, which I've heard is actually really good

Thanks for the ideas guys, I just looked at the API ... looks pretty much exactly like what I'm looking for and the price is not bad at all, something on ebay for like $1600 ...

So I would just fly out of this thing into the MBox using SPDIF and would be good to go from there right?

Wait, i thaught you coul'dnt use pro tools without a DIGIDESIGN interface ? like if my 002 is off, i can't open pro tools.

If youre gona use an external pre-amp, it might be tough because the mbox (old one at least), has no analog un-pre-amped ins...

Yes you need a digidesign interface connected to run PTLE. The external preamp would be connected via the spdif in, which all but the mbox mini/micro have...