Pre-production demo progress/update

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
We've been working through pre-produciton for nearly 6 months now, almost the same amount time it normaly takes us to record an actual album. The reason it has taken longer than normal to record the demo's is due to a few learning curves:

a.) I am the only one that lives in Salt Lake City, Utah and have the studio space here, thus the other members have been phoning in (not literaly) their parts peice by piece as they have them.

b.) Darrin and Kris have been learning a majority songs writen for the album on the go while tracking them.

c.) Pro-Tools: it's not your daddy's recording software... or is it? Just when you have it all figured out, you need something else to get the job done right. $$$$

The bad news is that I was hoping that the demo would be comeplete by now, however, the good news it that we are only slightly behind my predicted schedual by over a month, and in theory, recording the album itself should take less time and commence in early 2010.

The plan at hand now is to have things wraped up by the end of October so we can hopefully start shopping the demo around before the hollidays hit and get some feedback (and hopefully something secured for Europe). Around this time, we also antcipate that we'll be releasing some demo clips for everyone to hear! That's right, the first ever song clips with the all-new line up should be available for everyone to hear in a few months, and will be the first taste of new Katagory V material in almost two years!!!

I am very proud of the material thus far, and Bizzaro, Albert, Darrin and Kris have been working very hard to raise the bar for this album. It is far more melodic and hook laden compared to the previous album, and in some sense, much more riff-oriented too. Some of the songs have also taken on a more progressive direction as well, which I know many fans have been missing and will be happy to hear again. In a nutt shell, there are a myriad of directions happening with the songs, with a lot of variety, and this was my goal since day one when forming this band and should be what Katagory V is known for. From melodic hard-rockin' songs, to fist-bangning thrash metal anthems - this will have it all! One thing I have disliked about past Katagory V albums however, with "The Rising Anger" being the only exception, is the guitar tone (no offense to my mate Curtis of course!), if anyone is going to notice a change with the new material, this will be the most obvious.

Also, Unlike previous Katagory V albums that were entirely prodcued and/or mixed by Curtis (former guitarist) and Mike Foweks (local engineer/producer), I am outsourcing the post-produciton work this time to someome that has an ear for our style and sound. I will be getting in touch with a few producers/engineers very soon to see what their schedual and rates are, and to find out who I might be able to get to participate in the post-prodution, mixing and/or mastering for the album. Right now I'm hoping to work with either Jacob or Dennis (my two favorites at the moment) or maybe even Devin, Andy, Fredrik... or Neil? ...we'll see where it goes once I get to that bridge...

Cheers!:kickass:

In about two hours, I'll be on a plane headed for Salt Lake City to start pre-production for the album. Now is as good a time as any for the nerves to make their appearance. Here goes!

On a side note, I know that I owe you faithful readers a few concert reviews and a recap of the Kansas City Power Metal Fest. I apologize for the delay, but life has thrown a heap of stuff on my plate this past month or so. I think I'll use my breaks from pre-production to make those posts. Stay tuned!

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I must admit, though we're terribly behind schedual......we're actually moving along quite quick. From what I've heard the pleminary mixes on these pre-production tracks already sound better production wise than other things available by the band. (I hope the metal God's (or Curtis) will not hit me with a bolt of lightning........ or bus!))
I for one am beside myself with excitement to get this product out there. Dustin has to keep a tight rein on me so that I don't blurb too much info.
Bizzaro

UPDATE 08-31-09

As of today, I just sent Albert home to get some much needed rest after three days of tracking vocals for pre-production. We were able to knock out a good majority of the material, and will only have a few odds and ends to work on when he comes out next month to finish the remaining songs. Al has been a total trooper, and I worked him over pretty good. For a singer that has never really been in a professional recording situation, I have to admit that he took it in stride, and was willing to push the envelope and do what it takes to get the best performance possible. 8-10 hours of tracking a day is a lot for a singer and will eventually take a toll on their stamina and vocal performance, but he stuck to it, fought off exhaustion, kept himself hydrated and barreled through the songs as if he had been doing this for years. I have come to terms that after this weekend, Albert was born to sing, and I feel blessed that he is willing to be a part of Katagory V. His style will certainly shape the sound of the band in a new way, but in my humble opinion, in a very good way.

Aside from Al's remaining tracks that we didn't have time to get to, there are only a few solo sections left for the guitars that need to be recorded, and we'll be able to wrap things up by mid October and spend a few months rehearsing before we start tracking the album in February/March next year. This will also leave me some time to mix things down and select the songs that we'll showcase, and will hopefully later end up on the album as finished product.

At this point, things are coming together rather well, and the results are sounding fantastic and far beyond my initial expectation. This would be in part to Al, Darrin, Kris and Bizzaro putting their talent and unique style to the music written, and giving it 110%. I'm going to take the high road, and NOT repeat the ol' standard of what other bands say about their new songs being the heaviest, most progressive, technical and melodic material that they have ever written… oh wait, I just did. Well, everyone will have a chance to decide for themselves very, very soon, as we are only a month or so away from having clips available for you all listen to.

In the interim, and now that things are winding down, we'll also be working out a set list and planning to play live at the beginning of next year. It has been exactly a year since the band last played live, and It will be a challenge being that 2/5 of the band now lives outside of Utah, and those that do live close to the studio, are still several hours away, but with everyone being proactive, professional and dedicated to the cause, I feel we'll be able to squeeze in a show or two before tracking the album next year. Any fans hoping to catch Katagory V live in their hometown in 2010, just might get the chance soon enough.

goodtimes.jpg

That picture turned out awesome!!!!! Kris looks like he's way too cool to be enjoying himself.
Strange....he's the youngest so you think it would be Darrin and Dustin that would be the most embarrased as the father and grand father of the band!:loco:
Bizzaro

Isn't the frontman supposed to stand (or in this case, hang upside down) out from the rest of the band?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

YOU ARE CORRECT AL!!!! STAND, HANG, SWING, ETC.ETC.ETC.ETC YOU HAD TO DO SOMTHING BECAUSE, BEING ON A KIDS PLAY THING MEANT THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE IN FRONT OF, SO YOU HAD TO COMPENSATE!