Pre-Progpower pick up.

dargormudshark

Sep 25, 2003
houston,Tx
www.dreamspaceonline.com
I am going to buy 2 cd's to listen to on the way to progpower. So far I have chosen Tad Morose's Modus Vivendi and I am leaning toward Dreamscape's End of Silence. Any other suggestions other than Modus Vivendi because I know I am buying that.

The Dreamscape album is very well done, but perhaps due to the type of material (serious prog) it is lacking in a bit of dynamics...

Modus Vivendi is a great choice, especially as you're rocking down the road. For pure listening enjoyment, I would recommend Brainstorm's Metus Mortis album. That way you would have 2 crank-'em-out-and-scream-along albums as you eat up the miles.

Good luck!

Rock on!

General Zod said:
Are you looking to buy CDs by bands that will be playing at PP?

For what it's worth, I'd avoid the Dreamscape CD. It's flat out dull.

Zod
Zod, I respectfully disagree. All 3 of Dreamscape's albums are great imo. The first is very moody and atmospheric with great vocals. The second is just a masterpiece since I love Hubi Meisel's vocals, and the songs are very strong, and the current one just rocks. I am a sucker for keyboard laden prog metal with great vocalists! I think End of Silence has alot to offer the prog metal enthusiast...

I would have to agree with both of the Brainstorm selections, and agree with Zod on the DS, nothing doin there for me either. It's got some very good vocals in points, and great riffs in others, but the music just isn't well put together for my taste. I don't know, maybe I need to hear it more.

dargormudshark said:
I am going to buy 2 cd's to listen to on the way to progpower. So far I have chosen Tad Morose's Modus Vivendi and I am leaning toward Dreamscape's End of Silence. Any other suggestions other than Modus Vivendi because I know I am buying that.

There is a British band called Panic Cell that is pretty good. The lead vocalist sounds a little like really older Phil Anselmo on Phil's lower ranges. Twin guitar attack and good drummer as well. They really defy classification though. Most of it is somewhat thrashy. Very unique band their first (and only) release "Bitter Part of Me" is quite solid.
You can't beat "Modus Vivendi" though. That's a good release to get. I have had it for a while and might not listen to the whole thing, but I stil llisten to a few tracks everyday. I can't praise it enough. It is frankly a masterpiece in my ears.

Bryant

Bryant

This might sound retarded but it has come to my attention that alot of people do not have Holy Diver....

I'm gonna assume you have it and if you dont its because you already bought it and lost it in a horrible gardening accident so if that's the case you should replace it posthaste.

Seriously though, is it just me being a geezer or does it seem that the younger generation of metalheads miss out on the Priests, the Maidens, the Dios, and all the other classics of the day?

Ben

Daybreaker said:
This might sound retarded but it has come to my attention that alot of people do not have Holy Diver....

I'm gonna assume you have it and if you dont its because you already bought it and lost it in a horrible gardening accident so if that's the case you should replace it posthaste.

Seriously though, is it just me being a geezer or does it seem that the younger generation of metalheads miss out on the Priests, the Maidens, the Dios, and all the other classics of the day?

Ben

Yeah I have been working on him trying to get him into Accept, but I haven't made it around to Dio though. The good thing for him is his Dad is a metal-head and is "our" age. He has been exposed to a good bit of the classics.
Having said that, though Dargor is young enough to be my Son, I try to treat him more like a brother (though I goof sometimes) because he carries himself very well and maturely and deserves to be treated that way. Whether he is sixteen or not, he is a quailty poster here (and I know him even better at the Tad Morose forum) and if I can help it, I will do my best not to talk down to him nor about him in a way that would sound I am above him because of his age.
Most metalheads at sixteen are fighting with each other in the gen mus forum about who has the most phlrgm in their throat when singing death vox.
I think Dargor belies his age and kicks ass as a mature metal-head.

Bryant

Oh yea, I didnt mean to "talk down" or anything. I hate that shit, when someone who happened to see a band play some closet in 78 thinks they;re the end all be all in knowledge. I'm not really all THAT old myself, I was just thinking though about how there's a few people that I talk to that I discuss Power Metal with like Sonata and Edguy but then I started to play some Dio and Iron Maiden and they were like "Man! What's this shit? This is classic rock!" *sigh* I proceeded to go into an education lightning round. Hahha, yea dont get me wrong I wasnt being a biotch DArgor, BUT you will love Holy Diver!

Ben

Daybreaker said:

Ben

Once again may I say this , RAINBOW IS MY FAVORITE BAND!!! I think I would have all the dio, which I do. "The Last in Line" was my first metal cd along with "Powerslave". My cd collection is mostly prog-rock and classic rock. My dad really isn't a big metal head so that's why I lean more towards 70's stuff than stuff now. My stepdad is one who got me into alot of the metal, but my dad bought me dio and maiden cd's so I would realize that Kiss sucked, which I now realize that they do. I think I have said it before but when I was in fourth grade I would look at my Judas Priest Photo book and I didn't even know halford was gay, that is innocent I was :dopey: It was when I got into Rush that I didn't have any real freinds anymore from about 5th grade to later in junior high. But I prefer that because most kids are stupid anyway. The reason I am probably into this stuff is that when I was in 5th and 6th grade I went a bad school and all I had was music, I would play guitar all day and hang out at the local music store where I learned about tons of other bands. When Napster came about is when I got into bands like SX and stuff, until then I wasn't a huge metal junkie. I'm not pissed off or anything but I just want you to know I know my music.

BTW, Deep Purple is today!

dargormudshark said:

Both the Tad Morose CD & the Dreamscape CD are excellent. Don't listen to Zod. He will change his mind when he hears them live. As for other CDs, both Adagio Cds are excellent and Wuthering Heights new one is excellent as well.

Cheers,

EB

Yo Dargor,

yeah man I wasnt trying to be dickish. I was just in a Dio mood hahah. Nah man you post here, you come to Prog Power, and people who go here know their shit.

I'm gonna hold you to buying Pyramaze at the show though...

Ben