Preamp comparison API/UAD/Vintech/TL Audio

MetalSound

Nov 14, 2006
Haven´t been around here for ages I guess...
Well, I just did a comparison with some nice preamps on high guitars and even bass.
The preamps used were API 3124+, Vintech X73i, Universal Audio 6176 and TL Audio EQ 2.
A single SM57 on a MESA 4x12", no EQ.
I think I may have forgotten to turn off the phase flip on the Vintech...but that way you know exactly where the cut is. ;)
I was quite surprised how it all turned out...especially on bass guitar.
Enjoy!

Reactions: newamerikangospel
Whiule it`s fun to spot differences in mic pre`s here and there, no one ever said in a mix contest that the wrong mic pre was used, or even which one was used. Can you tell in a mix? No one can. Use what you got. I personally go for low noise and features over supposed "vibe" and magic fairies inside of age old mythological designs. It`s a Tool to power a microphone signal. I did not say there is a quality difference though, just that so many other Things make far more impact. A Little turn on an EQ for example.

I would disagree, and say the mic pre is way overlooked. I hate my sm57 into my tascam, too dry and brittle. Put the sm57 into a coloured 1073 clone though, and I love it. The even and odd harmonics, as well dynamic "temperance" and even resistance rating make changes that I dont beleive can be amended/simulated with eq.

Whiule it`s fun to spot differences in mic pre`s here and there, no one ever said in a mix contest that the wrong mic pre was used, or even which one was used. Can you tell in a mix? No one can. Use what you got. I personally go for low noise and features over supposed "vibe" and magic fairies inside of age old mythological designs. It`s a Tool to power a microphone signal. I did not say there is a quality difference though, just that so many other Things make far more impact. A Little turn on an EQ for example.

I used to think that way before I had real regular first hand experience with hi-end gear. Everything in the chain is important. Sometimes you even have to refrain from using the more expensive stuff, it's all a matter of context and sources. But everything counts. There's a cumulative effect that you can't ignore.

Did anybody download the full project?
I think the difference on the DI of those preamps is quite interesting.

I used to think that way before I had real regular first hand experience with hi-end gear. Everything in the chain is important. Sometimes you even have to refrain from using the more expensive stuff, it's all a matter of context and sources. But everything counts. There's a cumulative effect that you can't ignore.
Agreed. There really is a "mojo" in high-end converters and preamps. It won't make or break your recordings, and your ability to engineer and mix is still more important, but they provide those intangibles that we all attempt to seek out. I did one recording in a studio with Neve preamps, and another with an SSL Duality, and in both recordings there was a warmth and girth to the tracks that came across in my mix with no extra effort on my part. It made my mixing much easier and the songs came together much quicker.

I agree with you. I think you misunderstood me. While good gear is good gear, changing one thing in a chain of good stuff makes Little difference, especially the mix pre compared to other gear in the chain. Even the guitar speaker makes more impact. My Whole point is that you can obsess with " i wish i just used a better preamp etc." but it is not what makes the song. I am a major gearslut myself and i used to borrow and buy to test all kinds of equipment and it never made much of a difference in the end. Sure there where quality differences in noise and what kind of noise, some noise can be good. We have such good gear today, even beginner stuff like a 2 channel usb interface, you can make a record on that and no one would ever Wonder about it if the song is good and well made. I am old school though, i mix and monitor through a board and have rack converters on the side. I like twisting knobs and pushing faders but i recognize that it makes it hard to set up the same chain Again, but then i changed my attitude to, maybe this should be a one time thing, that`s what makes it what it is.