Preamp? Soundcard? Home gear

reg3n

Señor Miembro
Feb 17, 2009
Argentina
reg3n.bandcamp.com
Heya mates, i'm thinking on upgrading my hyper lame home setup... i mean... only real thing i have is my guitars and mics but besides that, i have nothing (hardware speaking) so i was thinking on buying some preamp for the guitars and a soundcard that fits, so to record in 24bits and shite i guess... so, (pardon my lame existance) for a home setup, wich will actually be for guitar reconrding only, is a preamp a must? wich one would you suggest? and about the soundcard... im still running on line-in in an onboard thingy so... maybe you get my point right now...

Help much appreciatted, cheers :Smokedev:

/edit/ sorry, budget should be something like... i dunno... 300 dls... or something like that /edit/

Ok.............i'll take the dive seeing as no one else is....

All you need, if you're looking for a simple setup for recording guitar, is an audio interface with a mic input and preferably an instrument input. Firewire is better than USB according to most people here, and PCI would be fine (as long as it's not a laptop you're using ofc). Someone who knows more about different makes and models, come in please..............

EDIT: http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=4 that'd do fine. But be aware that if your firewire chipset isn't made by Texas Instruments (TI) then you may have problems with firewire devices

thanks a lot man, guess i'm just looking for usb stuff as i don't have firewire ports yet =C , so, what's the difference between this two? http://line6.com/podstudiogx/ and http://line6.com/podstudioux1/ ? i'm seeing that mic input and the headphone output ond the second one, is that for some sort of monitoring? or is the soundcard monitoring enough in this case?... are these good options? so as far as i know pod is a 24bit input right?... ow shit well basically how do preamp? ¯\(°_o)/¯

if you were gonna choose between those 2 i'd say the UX1, seperate mic and instrument inputs are a must.

you don't need any other hardware than an interface like the UX1. Don't get hung up on 24bit, almost all modern gear has what you need in that regard.

heya dudes how about that NI session thing? worth it's cost?... and the tascam US-144 looks good enought to me but... i dunno... are these actually.. REALLY zero latency? or is it just super low?

Nah, the "zero-latency" on interfaces (esp. USB) just means there's a mix knob that's infinitely variable between monitoring direct from the analog inputs (pointless if you wanna use an ampsim in the computer, cuz you'll just hear the clean guitar) or monitoring what's coming from the computer. My housemate has the Audiobox USB, btw, and it works great!

heya dudes how about that NI session thing? worth it's cost?... and the tascam US-144 looks good enought to me but... i dunno... are these actually.. REALLY zero latency? or is it just super low?

I have the an older US-122, it works fine for playing guitar through an amp sim like Revalver. There's no real noticable latency.

kool guys thanks a lot, i tried the us-122 and the 144 too and they work fine as u said sphykik, but for like 30 dollars plus, i got the UX2 =D, first timer so, couldn't sleep all night and i've already been warned at work about checking in late B(
thanks a lot again