Preliminary 2010 Album of the Year?

Genius Gone Insane

http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com
Aug 19, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
www. ̄\(°_o)
2010 has been great musically. Before Dimmu's new one comes out and destroys everything else, what are the albums of the year thus far? Mine:

Stone Temple Pilots - Stone Temple Pilots
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Nevermore - TOC
Soilwork - Panic Broadcast

Can't believe I'm not including Exodus here.

Soilwork, Periphery and last but not least our very own Gareth and Jonas' Slice the Cake are the bands that released to me the best and most memorable releases of the year to this day.

Enditol's self-titled is well ahead of everything else that I can think of... the next would be The Panic Broadcast, Mechanize, Periphery, and The Obsidian Conspiracy. I'm still waiting on a few and I haven't heard some recent releases, so that may change soon...

Jeff

2010 seems pretty crap pretty far unfortunately.

Master Musicians of Bukkake - Totem Two was every bit as excellent as I expected it to be.
I was looking forward to the new Cephalic Carnage, but after hearing another new track I'm almost tempted to pretend they haven't got a new record coming out. I'll listen to it, sure, but I'm not that stoked.
Other than that, new Gorguts and Atheist, but I doubt either will come out any time this year.

Maybe some more cool stuff will come out in John Zorn's Book of Angels series. Can never have too much jew music.

I was never one of those Bulb fanboy people, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I like Periphery's debut.
Unfortunately, Nevermore's new album doesn't quite make it over an 7.5/10 for me. There's some very great songs on it, but it's a little inconsistent.
Soilwork has definitely powered through with a fucking awesome album in the form of The Panic Broadcast.
Haven't even heard it yet, but I'm convinced that the new Reign of Kindo album is going to kick major ass.
Need to hear the new Circa Survive album too. I really seem to be getting back into indie a bit more lately it seems.

Need to hear the new Circa Survive album too. I really seem to be getting back into indie a bit more lately it seems.

It's not that great, IMO - good, I guess, but nothing like On Letting Go.

2010 is a weird year for me - we have a few really good metal releases (Soilwork, Solution .45, etc.), but a lot of releases that, if I'm perfectly honest, were quite shit (Nevermore, Dark Tranquility, Veil of Maya, etc). The biggest thing 2010 has done for me is essentially confirmed any inkling feeling I had of metal not being the genre for me, as 99.9% of it just bores or annoys the hell out of me.

Yeah, I agree there Jeff.
Heavy music will always be my heart and soul, but that doesn't necessarily mean anger, or distorted guitars or shouting and screaming and growling.

I spend more time listening to improvised jazz, funk and dub lately, but it is just as powerful, if not more so, than most metal.
As long as the music comes from a genuine place with the musicians pouring their heart and soul into their sonic creations, the music will be "heavy" in a sense.

But you're a smart enough guy, I'm sure you already figured that out :)

(Now go start exploring 70's funk, you'll love me for it)