Preliminary 2010 Album of the Year?

99.9% of it just bores or annoys the hell out of me.

+1... which is kinda weird since metal is the music I play, yet rarely there's a new album that really makes me feel that I should keep listening. I'm not even following the scene that much anymore, first time I heard that pain of salvation and solution 45 released an album was in this thread and I plan to listen to them soon.

If I had to choose right now I would go with Soilwork.

Hell, I think my main justification for calling myself a metalhead these days is because when I pick up a guitar, first thing I do is pinch harmonics and chugging riffs really.
As each month passes, I listen to less metal on average each day than I used too.
But that said, I haven't entirely lost faith in the genre and from time to time, there's always gonna be a few metal albums that get released that will just totally kick my ass and make me say "Fuck yeah!".

I think prescribing oneself to a genre is doing yourself a bit of a disservice. Your brain is capable of thought... and how much thought does it take to be all 'I'm into metulzz'

Personally, I'm into loads of shit. But I've really been just rediscovering old music, like Plaid and Amon Tobin. There is so much good shit in the past, that this year I've not even really bothered to keep tabs on new releases.

This week I've listened to two metal albums, three Steely Dan albums, a load of Porcupine Tree, some Incubus, and the crabpeople song from South Park. I never got the impression that listening to non-metal things is uncommon around here...

Jeff

I think prescribing oneself to a genre is doing yourself a bit of a disservice. Your brain is capable of thought... and how much thought does it take to be all 'I'm into metulzz'

Personally, I'm into loads of shit. But I've really been just rediscovering old music, like Plaid and Amon Tobin. There is so much good shit in the past, that this year I've not even really bothered to keep tabs on new releases.

Heh, I just call myself a metalhead because it's just easier really.
If someone comes up to me and says "What do you listen too?" , I think saying "Well, I'm a metalhead" is probably easier than saying "I like drone doom, 20th century classical music, romantic era classical music, jazz fusion, avant garde jazz, bebop, melodic death metal, post rock, post metal, indie, prog rock, classic metal etc etc etc etc".
And also has to do with the fact, no matter what I find myself listening too, at the end of the day, something inside me always says I'm a metal guy at heart anyway.

I always take the hard route. I don't want to give people an easily digestible soundbite as to what I like. That's just me anyway, wasn't really disagreeing with your statement - just sort of expanding on it in my own way.

I'm sure a lot of you guys will disagree, but mine so far is Whitechapel's A New Era of Corruption.

Yer totally love this album, its all I listened to for a month!

I was also digging the periphery album BEFORE it got released, then I listened to it and was like wtf. . . let-down. . .

I'm looking forward to After the Burials new album, and more importantly Tesseract when they get round to releasing it! that album is going to be so good!

Goddamn, the more I listen to The Panic Broadcast, the most I realize it just shits all over anything In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Arch Enemy have done in recent years.
The only other melodeath band I think that's put out amazing records in recent years is Scar Symmetry, but then again, that band seems to just consistently put out great records.

Last Arch Enemy album (wont count The Root of All Evil because that doesn't contain actual new material) was not bad, but Dark Tranquility and In Flames just haven't done anything good in years. Most recent Dark Tranquility album was kinda 5/10 I guess.

I suppose when genres start to get old like melodeath, it gets harder and harder to bring out something interested and inspired sounding.

Goddamn, the more I listen to The Panic Broadcast, the most I realize it just shits all over anything In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Arch Enemy have done in recent years.
The only other melodeath band I think that's put out amazing records in recent years is Scar Symmetry, but then again, that band seems to just consistently put out great records.

Last Arch Enemy album (wont count The Root of All Evil because that doesn't contain actual new material) was not bad, but Dark Tranquility and In Flames just haven't done anything good in years. Most recent Dark Tranquility album was kinda 5/10 I guess.

I suppose when genres start to get old like melodeath, it gets harder and harder to bring out something interested and inspired sounding.

I agree with most of what you said, but last SS was pretty weak IMO. Latest DT and IF have been huge let-downs, I agree. Arch Enemy just lack *the* tasty riffs a la Wichers to be interesting.

Scar Symmetry never got to me - I couldn't get through any of their things (Pitch Black Progress and Holographic Universe) without thinking I should have just put on a Soilwork album to begin with.

Jeff

Then don't ever try to get into Disarmonia Mundi! (Well, the first one isn't that Soilwork-ish but the others... :p)

Mindtricks had some pretty slick songs indeed. In fact, DM's second and third albums were really good IMO. However, one could have rebranded them as Soilwork albums and nobody would have known.

edit: By the way, how the hell do you treat your mixes as math problems? Read that a while ago when I was digging for information. I'm quite interested in your workflow. :)

Yer totally love this album, its all I listened to for a month!

I was also digging the periphery album BEFORE it got released, then I listened to it and was like wtf. . . let-down. . .

I'm looking forward to After the Burials new album, and more importantly Tesseract when they get round to releasing it! that album is going to be so good!

I didn't even expect to like it, since I didn't like their previous album and that's all I knew of them.

So far I'd have to say no particular order, just for metal...

Soilwork - The Panic Broadcast
Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Pt. 2
Twilight - Monument to Time End
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimonaes
Burzum - Belus
Alcest - Ecailles de Lune

patiently waiting for the new Krieg, the new Swans and a possible new Deathspell Omega to totally shit on everything else 2010 has brought. I don't think the new Gorguts will be out before the year is over, but that will shit on everything else too.

I honestly don't have any 2010 non-metal releases on my ipod yet other than Drake and Eminem.

The contenders so far:

Fear Factory - Mechanize
Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
Stam1na - Viimeinen Atlantis
Front Line Assembly - Improvised Electronic Device
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

Let's see what the end of the year brings :cool:

Still waiting for the albums from Fredrik Thordendal, Melechesh, Crystalic, Darkane, Dagoba, The Crown, Vulture Industries, Helloween, Die Krupps, Unit:187, Necrophagist, Ulver, and The SinDecay, in case they come out this year...