Presonus Firestudio Project worth buying used?

ArsMemoria

Apr 4, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Been looking into a used FSP the last couple days just to have the ability to record more than 2 channels of audio. Though, I've heard Presonus' quality hasn't been all that great these days. Anyone think they're worth it?

Edit: I'd be recording into a MBP using Logic Pro X and OS X Yosemite.

I've seen a couple MOTU units flying around, but never had much experience with them. They seem to have drivers for some of their legacy products too. I'll give them a look.

I've seen a couple MOTU units flying around, but never had much experience with them. They seem to have drivers for some of their legacy products too. I'll give them a look.

I've used them on PCs and they're my second choice to RME. Decent hardware and driver support. (RME's support is better, which is why I use their interfaces. MOTU units can usually be had cheaper than RME though, which can be a factor in purchases.)

i've been running two FSP's for years. they work for me.

Mac or PC? Sometimes driver support for Macs can lag a bit, MOTU is very Mac-centric.

I've used them on PCs and they're my second choice to RME. Decent hardware and driver support. (RME's support is better, which is why I use their interfaces. MOTU units can usually be had cheaper than RME though, which can be a factor in purchases.)

Mac or PC? Sometimes driver support for Macs can lag a bit, MOTU is very Mac-centric.

Just for the sake of discussion, I've been happy with the sound and reliability of my Focusrite 2i2 and have looked at the Saffire Pro and thinking of getting the Clarett down the line when I'm ready to step up. What do you think about Focusrite vs MOTU if you've had the chance to mess with the latter?

Also, Sloan, definitely curious what system you're running as well.

Just for the sake of discussion, I've been happy with the sound and reliability of my Focusrite 2i2 and have looked at the Saffire Pro and thinking of getting the Clarett down the line when I'm ready to step up. What do you think about Focusrite vs MOTU if you've had the chance to mess with the latter?

I got burned being an early adopter of the Scarlett series. It took them months to get a stable driver out. F them.

I am on PC. The FSP is almost a legacy product now so it's drivers should be mature enough to run on most anything I would hope.

That can be an issue with Macs. Apple will bring out a new OS and wreak havoc with third party products. MOTU is pretty much on the ball with updates. Of course it's a bad idea to update your OS when you're using the system for recording but why take chances, especially with a legacy product. Presonus will just declare it too old to write drivers for it. A company like RME is still releasing drivers for interfaces that are going on 15 years old. :D

I got burned being an early adopter of the Scarlett series. It took them months to get a stable driver out. F them.

That can be an issue with Macs. Apple will bring out a new OS and wreak havoc with third party products. MOTU is pretty much on the ball with updates. Of course it's a bad idea to update your OS when you're using the system for recording but why take chances, especially with a legacy product. Presonus will just declare it too old to write drivers for it. A company like RME is still releasing drivers for interfaces that are going on 15 years old. :D

Hmm, been stable for me, but I got mine long after the product had been out. Think I'll keep my money for a bit and see what comes along, though there's an 828mkii well within my price range I've been eyeing. And MOTU's site still says they support it.