PreSonus FireStudio Project [hands-on review/party]

I've dicked around with it a bit.
I've got a wireless card in Vista that fucks everything up, but in the fresh XP with nothing installed, it seems really stable.
Only thing is some of my plugins don't work because they were installed in Vista.

I messed with some amp sims and the latency was super low, pretty much realtime, so that's a good sign.

I haven't messed with any mics or anything yet. If i can get the house to myself, I might mic up the drumkit and bang around a bit.

I knew it had to be something else screwing it up. I have not really heard much of the Firestudio's having any problems on their own. It's usually some conflicting hardware somewhere else in the comp. Good to hear it's stable now though. :kickass:

Ok, I switched in the VIA firewire card to test it and I'm back to square one. I believe the firewire ports on the PreSonus unit have shorted out or something from the VIA card perhaps. I tried it with the TI card again and it didn't work either.

PreSonus tech support is pretty sweet, this dude's been emailing me about it and I can have it repaired for free. They don't do replacement, just repair, which is strange. I messaged the store on eBay I bought it from to see if I can just get a replacement, that would be faster me thinks.

Ok, got the replacement FSP and it works great with the Belkin firewire card.

MY GUESS:
The cheap $5 firewire card I had was frying the Presonus ports.

On the other hand, I moved last week and somehow my videocard is super fucked.
I can hardly use the computer without my monitor shutting off, random reboot, or garbled shit.
My card's an old eVGA GeForce 6800gt. It's the second one, the first one had to be RMA'd within months. fuuuck.

Anyway, before and after working at the tiki bar today, I did my first real experiments with some impulses:
http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/52/impulse_test.mp3

has kind of a MOTORHEAD vibe.