Pretty Good DI

ApolloSpeed

Oct 31, 2005
Texas
www.myspace.com
I need a pretty good DI box for say, -sub $60 dollar range. And it need to have to have an output and a thru out.

I was looking at Behringer (i have pretty good luck with them)

Or maybe the 70 dollar radial... ?

or Rolls?

And what is the main difference in the passives v.s. the actives?

I'm looking to mainly use for bass guitar tracks and maybe some reamping guitars at some point later on.

I have the behringer ultra g, it has an cab sim which isnt too bad. But you could always disengage the cab sim and use impulses. Fairly clean signal, not brilliant but it does the job if you can't mic or crank the volume. Costs about $35-$40.

a bit OT but I was wondering if i can use the passive behringer DI as a cheap ReAmp box??

ApolloSpeed said:
nope.....gotta go into the daw with DI box and come back out with a "re-amp" box.
no I mean using input as output and output as input... this just works with passive DIs.. I'm interested if someone actually tried this

Samson S-Direct is very good (very low noise), cheap and has a proper input impedance (1Mohm)

Behringer is noisy & IIRC only ~350 kohm [edit] just checked - its only 250kohm [/edit]
Radial's input impedance is lower than 1Mohm too (IIRC) = not enough for passive pickups.

If you think you don't need 1Mohm, better read this page.

what about the BBE DI-100 ??

It claims to be an Active DI with built-in maximizer and it also claims to be able to "re-amp".

....it has some good ratings on it too.

Anyone tried one of these out ??

368190.jpg

ApolloSpeed said:
really? And Rolls is cheaper than Behringer! Like $25...

In my experience, the Rolls stuff rivals more expensive stuff, and is built to a much higher quality standard than Behringer. They don't make anything amazing, but everything they make is high quality and very transparent. We use Rolls DI's at every show to send our samples to the house PA, very hi fi and noiseless signal.

xmarcelx said:
no I mean using input as output and output as input... this just works with passive DIs.. I'm interested if someone actually tried this
I tried it with behringer's ultra Di400P (~20euro). There's a constant noise while there's nothing being played but it's not too much and I think that when you play the guitar track there's no noticeable noise. Here's a clip:
http://cmusicforum.com/sw/reamp_dry.mp3

guitar-di-emu1212
emu-di in reverse-amp
left and right channels are two reamps of the same track. Different mic position; left channel has guitarsuite's tube screamer on.

ApolloSpeed said:
I guess I'm gonna give Rolls a shot, and I'll let yall know if it goes ok.
Hell, even if it doesn't, $25 shouldn't break me.
It'll probably work better than a Behringer, I bought one because it's cheap and because there're little alternatives here, none of which I can afford:rolleyes:

ApolloSpeed said:
what about the BBE DI-100 ??

It claims to be an Active DI with built-in maximizer and it also claims to be able to "re-amp".

....it has some good ratings on it too.

Anyone tried one of these out ??

368190.jpg

i'd like to know too

A friend of mine really likes his palmer, the only problem about it is you can't turn off the speaker emulation. I Don't know about the other models.