Primal Fear North American 2010 Tour

fueled25

New Metal Member
Mar 19, 2009
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet...unless I missed it in the forum somewhere.

Primal Fear will be returning to North American grounds in May/June of 2010 with special guests Luna Mortis. Dates are as follows:

5.20 New York - Grammercy
5.21 W. Springfield, VA - Jaxx
5.22 Worcester, MA - Palladium
5.23 Quebec City, QUE - Imperial
5.24 Toronto, ONT - Opera House
5.26 Cleveland, OH - Peabody's
5.27 Detroit, MI - Blondie's
5.28 Louisville, KY - Phoenix Hill Tavern
5.29 Milwaukee, WI - The Rave
5.30 St. Paul, MN - Station 4
6.1 Denver, CO - Bluebird
6.3 Seattle, WA - El Corozon
6.4 Portland, OR - Peter's Room
6.6 Santa Ana, CA - Galaxy Theatre (w/ Redemption, Luna Mortis)
6.8 W. Hollywood, CA - House of Blues (w/ Redemption, Luna Mortis)
6.9 Mesa, AZ - U.B.'s Bar
6.10 Tuscon, AZ - The Rock
6.12 Houston, TX - Meridian
6.13 Austin, TX - Emo's

(Editor's Comment: Looks like the Southeast US gets screwed again.)

Yeah Palladium.

Detroit: I see a lot of tours starting to show up at Blondie's. I haven't been there, but I'm all for shows going somewhere besides Harpos.

I read on Blabbermouth that Redemption was going to join Primal Fear on this tour. I even posted it here the other day, can anyone confirm that?

Looks like Redemption is only guesting on the Cali dates, as it indicates on the posting above.

Are these guys really a draw though? I don't see these guys packing any houses over here without some stronger tour support. Idk, I've never heard much buzz about these guys outside of PP discussions.

The places booked here - that I'm familiar with - seem appropriately sized for Primal Fear. The Palladium has an upstairs room. If they play downstairs, I assume the balcony will be closed. I expect a crowd comparable to the Hellowen/Gamma Ray crowd last year, which was pretty small. Peabody's in Ohio is an appropriately-sized place for them to play too.

Yet another power metal tour with no solid support.
Sorry, but let's be realistic.
Primal Fear are NOT that big of a draw here in the states.
This tour needs another solid co-headliner.

Them and HammerFall would be an attractive lineup.

I don't think PF with Luna Mortis will draw more than 200 in any city.

Primal Fear toured here earlier this year (though having ProgPower on that probably made it much easier) as well as several years ago. They probably know what to expect and have budgeted accordingly.

You're right. It's rare to see power metal tour with solid support and/or co-headliners. Edguy/Hammerfall/Into Eternity was a rare example back in 2005. That packed BB King's in NYC. Primal Fear probably won't draw much, especially with Luna Mortis as an opener.

You're right. It's rare to see power metal tour with solid support and/or co-headliners. Edguy/Hammerfall/Into Eternity was a rare example back in 2005. That packed BB King's in NYC. Primal Fear probably won't draw much, especially with Luna Mortis as an opener.

I'll be curious as to how Edguy does the next time around. They gained quite a bit of exposure on their tour with Kamelot here the last time around.

Yeah Palladium.

Detroit: I see a lot of tours starting to show up at Blondie's. I haven't been there, but I'm all for shows going somewhere besides Harpos.

This looks like a good tour. And I'm glad to see a Michigan date.

You're right about Blondies. Looks like Harpos is out as the Detroit venue of choice. I haven't yet been to Blondies, either. But I'm thinking of popping over there for either Korpiklaani or Primal Fear. Or both.

But this is great news. I'd like to see PF and Luna Mortis. I hear Luna tore it up at the last Flight of the Valkyries fest.

Bill

Oh look! They're playing in NYC! Opening night of the tour! How nice. ;)
Seriously, I think the Gramercy is the right size for them, but it probably won't sell out. They really do need a stronger support band or co-headliner. I too, will be interested to see how Edguy does the next time around. I've been to multiple shows on their tours and it really seemed to depend on the market. NYC was about 400 I think. NH - like 80? Evil can correct me on that.

I'll be curious as to how Edguy does the next time around. They gained quite a bit of exposure on their tour with Kamelot here the last time around.

That was another example I was going to use on my post. They must have had an amazing turnout on this tour with Kamelot, especially if you compare it with the other tours they've done in the US (such as the one they headlined previously). Another one tour that was pretty solid was the Symphony X one with Epica as direct support. I am curious as to how many people Epica will draw in this upcoming tour (January 2010). They got tremendous exposure when they toured with SX, incomparable to the weak turnout they had in their previous headlining tour.

Who are the top power metal drawers in the US in your opinion nowadays? Is it safe to say Sonata Arctica, Kamelot and obviously Dragonforce are the big dogs? I still find it so amazing how popular Sonata Arctica has gotten in North America...

I can see this being an upstairs show at the Palladium (downstairs would, in my opinion, just be a very silly move, I don't think they've quite got the draw for that, especially with someone like Luna Mortis as support). I'm not entirely sure about what kind of draw they have, but while the Helloween/Gamma Ray show last year didn't do too great in Worcester, there was enough of a turnout to justify it being downstairs IIRC.

I'll be there, regardless! Should be awesome.

Who are the top power metal drawers in the US in your opinion nowadays? Is it safe to say Sonata Arctica, Kamelot and obviously Dragonforce are the big dogs? I still find it so amazing how popular Sonata Arctica has gotten in North America...

That list definitely needs Nightwish. Probably Blind Guardian too. But I would agree with you aside from that.