Primal Fear North American 2010 Tour

Y
I'd think, on top of the argument you made, something else must be going on... Maybe the main metal promoter from the area went out of business or something (wild guess).
Consolidation, and then back to what I said.

Or so that's what I've "heard".

Also notice that this is another BraveWords sponsored tour for Primal Fear. Not sure how much they are backing, but it provides advertisement for both parties.

I'll be curious as to how Edguy does the next time around. They gained quite a bit of exposure on their tour with Kamelot here the last time around.

I agree. They had a lot of support on that Kamelot tour, but on their most recent tour, from what I hear a lot of people didn't turn up that much. I know their last disc wasn't very good and that seems to be a consensus. They really need to put out a killer album to save themselves. In my personal opinion, I think Tobias is putting much more effort in Avantasia, and rushing out the Edguy releases.

This tour is a head scratcher. For the second time in a row, they skip Chicago which is one of the bigger markets in general. I think these guys could do better in the US if they got promoted properly, but unfortunately I don't see this happening and their support really blows to be honest. As others have said they should've gotten a better support, even someone like Echoes of Eternity or Leaves Eyes, something.

That was another example I was going to use on my post. They must have had an amazing turnout on this tour with Kamelot, especially if you compare it with the other tours they've done in the US (such as the one they headlined previously). Another one tour that was pretty solid was the Symphony X one with Epica as direct support. I am curious as to how many people Epica will draw in this upcoming tour (January 2010). They got tremendous exposure when they toured with SX, incomparable to the weak turnout they had in their previous headlining tour.

Who are the top power metal drawers in the US in your opinion nowadays? Is it safe to say Sonata Arctica, Kamelot and obviously Dragonforce are the big dogs? I still find it so amazing how popular Sonata Arctica has gotten in North America...

I would say it's either Kamelot or Sonata Arctica. I think the reason why Sonata Arctica does so well in the US is they seem to be the only ones working their asses off to draw more in the US year after year. No one else has tried as much. I know in Chicago, at least when the Pearl Room was around, Edguy drew really well. As with my previous post, I think their latest output has hurt them. As for Dragonforce...they just got lucky. I don't like comparing them. Let's be honest, they have the popularity they have due to Ozzfest and Guitar Hero.

Honestly Stratovarius/Pagan's Mind in Baltimore this past September was dismal. Again, I almost felt bad. Not as much for Pagan's Mind as Strato. PM got a fantastic response from the crowd that was there, but Strato performed to a sluggish, tired, somewhat unenthusiastic crowd of under 150 people.

Stratovarius is screwed in the US. To be honest, they were lucky to get PM for that tour. The fact is, they hadn't toured in the US for a while, and now that Timmo isn't in the band anymore, probably half of the fans dismiss them completely (to be honest, I'm on the fence with this)

I completely disagree! The floor was full and the balcony was standing room only. What is your definition of packed? Thats mine.

Uummmmmm. I was there and it was not an issue just to move your way to the front at all. Sure there were lots. Being there when it was packed for Iced Earth and Testament. There it was hard to move around at all. For Helloween we could see lots of open space from the front area. Plus I think there was issues with payment because of it not hitting what it should have that actually delayed the show.....remember the hour plus break between bands? The crowd for that show was about the same or a little more than the first Pagan Fest show there....

Zod, great call with Iced Earth. I was waiting for someone to mention them as a power metal band that draws crowds.

I am excited about this Primal Fear tour as they are one of my favorite bands but Luna Mortis as support is not going to cut it. I feel they need to open under a slightly bigger band such as Iced Earth or Kamelot much like Edguy did to get more support.

As far as Edguy goes, I feel they did slightly better on this last tour after opening for Kamelot as in NYC they had to move from the Blender to Irving Plaza to support a bigger crowd. Only thing was Irving is much more massive in size so it seemed empty. Also gotta factor in that Motorhead played the same night in NYC and aside from the Prog Power faithful more people probably heard promotion and buzz about the Motorhead tour then they did the Edguy tour.

Zod, great call with Iced Earth. I was waiting for someone to mention them as a power metal band that draws crowds.

I am excited about this Primal Fear tour as they are one of my favorite bands but Luna Mortis as support is not going to cut it. I feel they need to open under a slightly bigger band such as Iced Earth or Kamelot much like Edguy did to get more support.

As far as Edguy goes, I feel they did slightly better on this last tour after opening for Kamelot as in NYC they had to move from the Blender to Irving Plaza to support a bigger crowd. Only thing was Irving is much more massive in size so it seemed empty. Also gotta factor in that Motorhead played the same night in NYC and aside from the Prog Power faithful more people probably heard promotion and buzz about the Motorhead tour then they did the Edguy tour.

I completely disagree! The floor was full and the balcony was standing room only. What is your definition of packed? Thats mine.

The venue was at half capacity at the most. We all commented at the lack of attendance at this show afterwards. I thought this lineup would sell the place out but about double the people showed up for Testament than for this.

Instead of speculating about how this tour is going to bomb, why not do your part and start to drum up some interest for these guys? It should be an easy sell to your average rocker: "These guys are Germany's Judas Priest. The singer is amazing, and the band crushes it live. Check out the tunes at http://www.myspace.com/primalfearofficial." I mean, they at least sound like JP...sure, they don't want that to be the only selling point, but if it gets more bodies out to see them, so what?

from www.melodicrock.com :
"The dates, which go on sale today through EnterTheVault.com exclusively until December 29 (at which point they will be made available through all normal ticketing systems), will include a special VIP meet-and-greet ticket which not only gains the ticket holder 60-minute early entry but also includes a very special pre show meet-and-greet and an autographed customized poster. VIP tickets will be limited to 50 per show."

A little late to the party, but I see they are playing the small stage in Worcester... will be an awesomely intimate show! (this smaller stage at my local venue holds 250 max). I can't wait!

Check out Luna Mortis. I know its not everyones cup of tea but I think some here might enjoy it. The main guitar player and composer, Brian, has a lot of great solos. I ordered a CD off their myspace page and he delivered it to my shop and gave me a signed poster. That was super cool.
Aaron

Check out Luna Mortis. I know its not everyones cup of tea but I think some here might enjoy it. The main guitar player and composer, Brian, has a lot of great solos. I ordered a CD off their myspace page and he delivered it to my shop and gave me a signed poster. That was super cool.
Aaron

wow...things have gotten tough for them...first they are dropped by Century Media and now they have to hand deliver thier own merch....things are tough all over.

Luna Mortis would have been bigger about 5 years ago, if they toured with bands like In Flames, Haunted, etc.
Saw them at Powerfest.
Not a bad band, but that sound is SO dated nowadays.

As others have said, their addition to the tour will not help ticket sales.

Sorry, as much as I like Primal Fear, they are still VERY unknown to the mass metal market in the states.

They need to hook up with like a HammerFall or Kamelot.
Sure, it might mean less $$$ in their pockets, but it will have a stronger long term impact, if they desire to return to the States.