PRO GUITAR TRICKS

Mahdes

Dec 2, 2014
Hi guys!!

Im new here and I can imagine that there are million threads about "wide/spread guitars" but...No matter how I tried (Mid side eq, stereo wideners, HAAS, different eq, dual mono processing, inverting polarity, great eq, good processing, OH more narrow...) I failed.
I found some moments in pro productions where only right guitar is playing and did a comparison with normal hard pan (right) guitar.
On the PAZ analyzer I can clearly see that there is also something out of phase combined with normal signal, but when I tried it (in fx - invert phase put the little delay on it - 100% wet ) I had a headache!

I did a comparison so you can help me! :)

HERE IS A LINK ON AUDIO:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Guit...ACuo_WSy18rvdNMwdDzlUdNLRagrLH1YYTU8K0dourcWw

AND THE PICTURE OF PAZ:
http://postimg.org/image/mpzsytmjh/

Is it because of some difference between console panning and digital? or what?
Can you reach that place?:)

These spread guitars I love mainly on production by Jens Bogren, Mikko Karmila, Sascha Paeth or Martin Birch.

If anyone can help I will be the happiest person in the world!!

Thanks!!

I think that got to do with Quad tracking, 1 hard pan at left 1 mid pan left 1 hard pan right, 1 mid pan right... but I'm no expert, so maybe I'm wrong

for a great guitar tone you'll want to be doing as little processing as possible. In general, the more you're fighting it, the harder making it sound good will be.

there are no tricks that pro's are doing that aren't available to you. just really concentrate on getting the source sound the absolute best you can and then do whatever EQ is necessary and you should be close. no plugin will be able to transform anything other than that into a great tone.

wide guitars are an effect of a difference between left and right. usually the technique is to eq left and right slightly differently and pan most of the other elements of the recording in a bit to create the illusion of super wide guitars. if something is out of phase in you analyzer it may be that someone put a widening plugin like shredspread on it, these are best used in a more subtle way to avoid making the guitars sound detached from the mix.

Just hard panning double tracked guitars has always seemed like a winning move to me. If the tone is good it doesn't need to be more complicated than that.