Logic and Guitar pro (midi)

diseasedmind

Nov 29, 2005
Hi guys,

Very close to buying my first Mac and Logic, but need to overcome one more hurdle before i take the plunge. I'll explain my situation:

Currently my DAW is cubase,

I write my bands songs on Guitar Pro (hopefully someone on here uses this...!)
I then export as midi, imort it into cubase and program the bass/keyboards/drum tracks using various VSTs/effects then record live guitar. I use these as demos.

While i was at a friends house, i was playing around with logic, and imported a midi i had from guitar pro, the tracks looked like they were playing and could see notes on the piano roll, but no sound came out. When we tried to re-create a midi track from scratch it seemed to work smoothly.

Is there anything special i need to do to get these two working seemlessly? I'm quite set in my ways and would like to avoid change if poss! Razz But i've always wanted a mac/logic setup so i hope this can be resolved...

Any advice would be fantastic

Sam

Strange, every time I tried that it even recognized the right instruments and created them automatically (guitars, drums, bass, etc).. just with drag and drop.
Guitar Pro writes some strange MIDI controller information in the files, though.. you might want to check if that's the problem.

Every other daw i've used its worked fine...
Prehaps it was my friends setup, he was using an insanely complicated soundcard and he's a self-confessed novice with midi. I'm just using an m-audio fast track.
As i said you can see the levels moving up and down, and it imports the tempo track too, but no sounds!

It gives the track weird names too, like GM output, or something. cant remember exactly now

jipchen: Have you done this with logic/GP or another DAW? I'm thinking its the way he has stuff setup and prehaps when i'm starting from scratch it'll be ok

I use it in exactly same way and I had no problems so far. Guitar pro adds midi controller information that needs to be deleted after you import your song into Logic. Also, guitar pro sets midi channels for each instrument and you need to set them in Logic after importing. Probably, they were playing on let's say 8th or 10th channel, so you saw the levels but didn't hear anything since your software intrument was set to midi channel 1 or so.

Ah, right, makes sense!

How would i go about changing the midi channel and deleting the midi info guitar pro adds? now i know it's possible i think i shall be purchasing this iMac!

What is the "correct" way of adding the midi? i assume it's file/import, which is the way we did it..

Every other daw i've used its worked fine...
Prehaps it was my friends setup, he was using an insanely complicated soundcard and he's a self-confessed novice with midi. I'm just using an m-audio fast track.
As i said you can see the levels moving up and down, and it imports the tempo track too, but no sounds!

It gives the track weird names too, like GM output, or something. cant remember exactly now

I bet you $1000 he doesnt have his Sounds Card properly configured for MIDI, or hes using an interface that DOES NOT HAVE A BUILT IN GM SYNTH (General Midi)