Pro Tools 10/Windows 8 Support

LuketheDuke

Storm Trooper
Sep 19, 2011
Zanesville, OH
I just installed Windows 8 and besides it's extremely awesome and badass presentation, my Pro Tools doesn't work! Giving me the good 'ole DAE Error -13001.

So, do any of you guys know how to get around this, or if Avid is feverishly making an update for those who have upgraded to W8?

If history is any indicator, you can expect an avid update in six months to a year. In general it's a bad idea to early adopt new OS's if you are serious about your DAW. It will break things every time.

I don't use Pro Tools, but I can say that Reaper has no problems with Windows 8 whatsoever. Actually, no programs I had installed on Windows 7 have any problems in Windows 8... no updates or patches required. I had heard this was the case going into the update, and it's held true for me. not sure what the issue is with ProTools...

Hate all you want, guys, but Windows 8 is way more light on resources/snappy than Windows 7, and Windows 7 was already good. That alone is worth the $40 upgrade.

I've been thinking about doing it but im scared to see what doesn't work(PT10, plugins, interface). Maybe ill install on a second hdd and test!

It's all the "trying to be a tablet os" bullshit I can't stand. There was nothing wrong with having a desktop with a start button in the bottom left corner that lead to everything. Now they've moved shit around, added these stupid tile things etc. Totally counter intuitive for anyone who's been using Windows for the past 20 years.

I think winsows 8 is great, fast and fresh. everything is just faster.

Also when the ecosystem is complete now.

Cubase 6 runs like butter on win8 aswell :D

It's all the "trying to be a tablet os" bullshit I can't stand. There was nothing wrong with having a desktop with a start button in the bottom left corner that lead to everything. Now they've moved shit around, added these stupid tile things etc. Totally counter intuitive for anyone who's been using Windows for the past 20 years.

It's pretty much the same shit, man. People are way too afraid of change. If you'e been using computers for any decent amount of time, it should be easy to get used to.

You hover over the bottom left and you see this:

Win8Start1.png

Right click on it and look what you get:

Win8Start2.png

That looks pretty familiar, huh?

OR you could just left click and start typing the name of something, and it will automatically bring up the search to find any program, file or setting. You see the results instantly after only a few letters entered. It works much faster than the search in windows 7. It literally takes 3 seconds to click down there and start typing the name of what you're looking for.

anybody try an m-audio profire 2626 with windows 8 yet? Only thing keeping me from installing. I have Windows 8 installed on a web surfing pc and for that it's perfect. Fast, stable, and the modern interface is great when it's synced with all your e-mail social media accounts. it also boots up fast and runs smooth.

If you ignore "apps" it's just a new style of start menu, all the guts of windows 7with speed improvements and refinements...

The surface Pro should be awesome for a portable studio...