Pro Tools 11 Announced, 64 bit, offline bouncing, etc.

You have got to be fucking shitting me, I got 10 two weeks ago...

Looks awesome though!!

Some of the new features, the new audio engine for example, should make PT less of a pain in the ass to work with. But 64 bit and offline bounce are just bringing it up level with other DAW's.

If everyone can get their plug ins up to date for 64bit AAX, I'm looking like I'll upgrade.

Wonder if they're still gonna sell / require that production toolkit expansion to get those HD specs with native systems?

Any native guys without expansions to comment, how you manage? Technically only VCA and maybe extra track counts might be interesting for me..

Whats my cost is the only question. Love the new features, but if its too pricey it wont be worth it. I just got 10HDX 4 months ago so justifying the cost may not be possible.

$599 to go from 10HD to 11HD

around 38:30 is pricing info

Wonder if they're still gonna sell / require that production toolkit expansion to get those HD specs with native systems?

Any native guys without expansions to comment, how you manage? Technically only VCA and maybe extra track counts might be interesting for me..

That video I linked above says CPTK will be scrapped, so the only options to get the extra HD features now will be HD Native and HDX. Kind of annoying because then you're tied to avid interfaces, which I think was what made the CPTK such a great option since allowing third party interfaces in version 9.

My only gripe with this upgrade is the fact that I bought an educational version of PT9 two years ago, which came with 4 years of free upgrades, but according to that video where they're telling us info directly from avid, apparently I now have to pay for my upgrade. It's still cheap, but kind of irritating.

EDIT: Oh yeah I was excited about the new metering, but that's HD only http://apps.avid.com/protools11/

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing i thought that was great (being a reaper user) was all the metering options
great idea really

edit: also Dynamic Host Processing looks awesome

I've been reading that you need an i7 processor just to run PT11

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-11-System-Requirements

from the link:

Desktops

Supported
Mac Pro mid-2012 5,1 (all models, all speeds)
Mac Pro early 2009 (all models, all speeds)

Not Supported
Mac Pro 3,1 "Harpertown" models and lower

Laptops

MacBook Pro & Air

MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch (Mid 2012: 10,1)
MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch (Late 2012: 10,2)
MacBook Pro 15-inch (Mid 2012: 9,1)
MacBook Pro 13-inch (Mid 2012: 9,2)
MacBook Air (mid 2012 models)
MacBook Air (2011 models)

Mac Mini

2012 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)
2011 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)
Mid-2010 Mac Mini (all models, all speeds)

iMac

2012 iMac i5 (all models, all speeds)
Mid-2012 to Late 2009 i5 & i7 (Unibody)

This makes it perfect to upgrade!

"If you have a collection of 32-bit RTAS-only plug-ins, you can still comfortably upgrade to Pro Tools 11. That's because Avid has created a special co-install of Pro Tools 10 and 11, which lets you switch between versions, without managing multiple disk partitions or restarting. In fact, Pro Tools 10 and 11 sessions are fully cross-compatible. Most AAX plug-ins will run in Pro Tools 10's 32-bit environment, and thanks to Pro Tools 11's Offline Bounce function, you can easily render tracks with 64-bit-only AAX plug-ins. Your Pro Tools 11 registration even comes with an iLok authorization for Pro Tools 10, so upgrading from Pro Tools 9 or an earlier version is totally painless."

That video I linked above says CPTK will be scrapped, so the only options to get the extra HD features now will be HD Native and HDX. Kind of annoying because then you're tied to avid interfaces, which I think was what made the CPTK such a great option since allowing third party interfaces in version 9.

What??? Really??? That would be terrible, I hope they're wrong! :(
When do they say so?

EDIT: Damn that was at the very end of the video, had to endure the 44 minutes of "genius, awesome, killer, fantastic"... Users of PT 10 + CPTK2 (like me) will be able to upgrade to PT11 HD, so apparently PT HD can run without the HD hardware... Still annoyed that I will have to pay $999 for the upgrade (same as HD users), while it should have been $399 if the CPTK wasn't scrapped, but, well, it's a brand new software rewritten from the ground up so it does make sense in a way...

I half want to upgrade as I'm planning to get a new Mac Mini this year anyway, but I really can't be bothered with having to jump from one version to another for certain plugins. Might be time to trim the fat and keep my plugs to just the bare essentials.