Pro Tools 9

Hahaha ahh gotcha! Yeah that "deal" is shockingly retarded!

Ive been thinking about doing similar for if/when I make the change....buy a new mbox mini then I can get the PT9 crossgrade from LE, sounds like a decent deal!

I'm sure I remember someone in a video saying 'no hardware required' and yet when I launch Pro Tools whilst also running Reaper (for purposes of doing a screenshot) it wont let me launch PT unless the ASIO driver isn't busy. Fucking gehy.

I'm sure I remember someone in a video saying 'no hardware required' and yet when I launch Pro Tools whilst also running Reaper (for purposes of doing a screenshot) it wont let me launch PT unless the ASIO driver isn't busy. Fucking gehy.

It should at least start and ask you to select an alternative audio driver if the currently selected one is busy...

yeah i think that statement was from a Mac perspective because of the aggregate io feature,
With windows to get aggregate io (no hardware required) you need to have ASIO4ALL installed so PT Can see you onboard audio device as ASIO compliant.
So "no hardware required" is a wrong statement, shoulda said no Avid hardware required.

It should at least start and ask you to select an alternative audio driver if the currently selected one is busy...

Nah mate. It doesn't. It just gives you the old 'hardware not ready' prompt.

yeah i think that statement was from a Mac perspective because of the aggregate io feature,
With windows to get aggregate io (no hardware required) you need to have ASIO4ALL installed so PT Can see you onboard audio device as ASIO compliant.
So "no hardware required" is a wrong statement, shoulda said no Avid hardware required.

Well tbh.. I imagined that I could launch PT9 even without any ASIO drivers... ie... edit audio without a soundcard connected.. just sitting on a train like. I can do that with Reaper no problem.

Well tbh.. I imagined that I could launch PT9 even without any ASIO drivers... ie... edit audio without a soundcard connected.. just sitting on a train like. I can do that with Reaper no problem.

You can on a mac, thats one differnce between core audio and ASIO,
just install ASIO4ALL and you can on a PC.

You can on a mac, thats one differnce between core audio and ASIO,
just install ASIO4ALL and you can on a PC.

Nah. That piece of shit isn't going anywhere near my machine! I'll just close Reaper before I open Pro Tools.

Btw, it isn't that the Mac lets Pro Tools run without an interface. It doesn't. It's just that there is always a CoreAudio driver running on OSX, whether that is your sweet-ass interface, or the built in one. I'm sure you understand that, just wouldn't want others to be confused.

Nah. That piece of shit isn't going anywhere near my machine! I'll just close Reaper before I open Pro Tools.

im not sure exactly the reason why you need both open at once but you could just rewire Reaper to PT if its a must. (just trying to help).

Btw, it isn't that the Mac lets Pro Tools run without an interface. It doesn't. It's just that there is always a CoreAudio driver running on OSX, whether that is your sweet-ass interface, or the built in one. I'm sure you understand that, just wouldn't want others to be confused.

Yes im aware of that but seeing as you cant exactly have one without the other it doesnt really need to be said (in the vain of not trying confuse others :) )

And its more because PT Mac runs on Core audio which is an integral part of Mac OS whereas PT PC runs on ASIO which is a 3rd party add on and not an integral part of windows, but this conversation is getting too anal geek for my liking so im done :wave:

Does Protools 9 use iLock2? Sorry if it's been addressed already, 23 pages . . .

Edit: Never mind. On the Avid site it appears it's using the same old iLock.

And now,
Every goddamn emo kid locked up in his bedroom would be operating a cracked version of pro tools. Well done Avid ;) I love you.

Avid spent all day with me yesterday helping me with my problem. I take back what i said about them needing to step up there costumer service. They really have, I was just frustrated and did not even think about how crazy it must be for them right now. They spent 8 hours with me yesterday going over stuff and I think we got it narrowed down. I got a few more things to try but man they really stepped it up in there support! They even overnighted me a new power harness for my 002.

If you are under warranty digi/avid has always had great customer service on the phone IME. Their website definitely still leaves a lot to be desired but if you've just upgraded your software you get phone support free (90 days I believe).

im not sure exactly the reason why you need both open at once but you could just rewire Reaper to PT if its a must. (just trying to help).

Yes im aware of that but seeing as you cant exactly have one without the other it doesnt really need to be said (in the vain of not trying confuse others :) )

And its more because PT Mac runs on Core audio which is an integral part of Mac OS whereas PT PC runs on ASIO which is a 3rd party add on and not an integral part of windows, but this conversation is getting too anal geek for my liking so im done :wave:

:lol:

Generally I don't need to run them at the same time. But it just struck me as odd... anywaaayyy..... it's not important.

you can open Reaper without an audio device but not Pro tools. Not sure how much work you can do without being able to listen.
With an interface the ASIO driver can only be used with one program at a time. It's been like that forever. Your built-in soundcard on the PC probably doesn't have an ASIO driver.

Pro Tools + Reaper Rewired would be the solution.

i presume PT9 is gonna be strictly ASIO, Reaper (for better or for worse) can also use waveout or directX, but those probably aren't really good options for most applications. besides like...editing drums on an airplane. which i suppose is actually a totally legit situation... heh.

edit: ASIO and WDM, WDM is comparable in usability to ASIO, although ASIO seems to have become the defacto standard for hardware layer abstraction in recent years.