Pro Tools 9

Ok, so adding to the list of issues I've just encountered... with Melb_shredder present to verify...

- Software crashes every time you try to import an mp3
- DAE error upon attempting to process using VocAlign
- System hard lock and subsequent blue screen/restart upon attempting to load CLA vocal plug-in

So far the PC release of PT9 is an absolute joke. I can't believe they had the balls to do this, and that I paid money for it. Just no words... it's not even functional anymore.

Shit that sucks Guy's.
Avid really don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to windows users. But then again that's not been their main demographic, certaintly not classically!
Sucks to be you ;) E-mail their support.

I did yesterday. No response as yet, over 24 hours later :)

Hmm
the only alternative is to call the extortionately expensive support number where you'll speak to a brain dead idiot who doesn't know the answer to your enquiry and will tell you to trash the databases and prefs.

Or post on the DUC
UGHHH

Awesome. Avid consistently release stuff with major bugs but I think all DAW manufacturers have a tough job getting things straight with all of the third party stuff. It's also true that for every 1 guy like you there are 99 guys who are contacting Avid support wicked pissed that their 4 year old waves cracks are crashing PT9.....totally clogs the system.

So 3 days later I get a reply to the problem I already solved myself, from Digi support. The best they could muster is 'look at this Windows 7 optimization page and make sure you've done all this'. I feel sorry for the poor bastards that paid for support entitlement.

So 3 days later I get a reply to the problem I already solved myself, from Digi support. The best they could muster is 'look at this Windows 7 optimization page and make sure you've done all this'. I feel sorry for the poor bastards that paid for support entitlement.

Judging by the problems you're having Ermz...I think I'll hold off on PT9 (for Windows) for now.

Oh man, SynchroArts for the absolute win. Within 10 minutes I was sent this:

http://www.synchroarts.com/faq/ProTools9/

Turns out there is an issue with how PT9 supports VocAlign Project. All users will have my issue until they update. Seems there's an extra process now in the aligning workflow due to this problem... damn.

Yea Synchroarts even sent me a update to try as well. They did a great job helping me get Vocalign pro running on Protools 9 the same day i purchased it. Wish Avid would take note and step up there technical support. Avid took 3 days to reply to a email and they gave me the same run around of the Windows 7 tweaks bullshit. Which is no help to my problem what so ever and I already had that stuff done.

Im glad my other half talked me out of buying it right out of the gate. All the problems I keep hearing about would have me LIVID if I spent the $500.

I'm thinking Sonar X1 may be my solution considering the way Avid is handling support. Kinda sucks cause I was really looking forward to Elastic Audio and Beat Detective... :(

Well I have been working without them this long ...so ...

This just sucks, I was so looking forward to moving to PT :(

first time to the forum in a good while.... but i wanted to read was being said about 9.... and i noticed the "slip" editing thing come up again.

in the past i never really snapped to what everyone was on about because PT has a "Slip Mode", which just means that the grid is disabled....

but then i watched the vid, and wasn't really interested in the functionality...

then today in a convo with a colleague, he pointed out to me that PT has indeed had this type of functionality for some time, so i tried it out on 7.4.2, and sure enough, it works just fine. i never discovered it simply because i never wanted it.

it's called "nudge within region" and works by holding the Control key down while hitting "+" or "-" on the NumPad. you just set the NUDGE value in the usual place... and setting it to "samples" and choosing between 200 and 400 as the nudge value (they aren't choices in the drop-down so you have to manually enter it once) results in a nice smooth flow.

i never use this type of functionality myself, i prefer editing drums with BD, for a couple very good reasons, as opposed to editing by hand, but since some seem to enjoy working that way, i thought i'd mention that it actually is available in PT, and while it's keyboard-based, and not a mouse tool, you certainly can get quite smooth and quick with it at the right nudge settings.

so for those of you using PT already, and wanting to try out that type of editing... there ya go.

FTR, here's why i DON"T do this type of editing.....

1. with "by hand" editing like this, you are moving one hit at a time.... so, for instance, in an 8 bar passage where every hit is too loose, you have to move each kick and snare "slice" individually... while with BD i do that in a couple mouse clicks for the entire 8 bars.

2. .... and this is the most important one.... with this "by hand, slip" type of editing you are def not slamming things to the grid, and that's great... but you may very well be destroying a drummers "feel", since each hit is basically randomly moved by the user some degree closer to the grid... in BD you set a percentage. so for instance, if i take the hypothetical 8 bars that need "tightening up", i'll just set a percentage (say 30%) and each hit will be moved that percentage closer to the grid... so relative to each other the "feel" of the drummer is intact, just tightened. not an issue with a lot of metal drumming, but i certainly can be with some of it... and pretty much most rock.

i don't expect or intend to change anyone's mind about anything... this is all just FYI.