Pro Tools 8 freezing...

fade_2_black

Apr 11, 2006
www.keirlefoh.com
Im almost certain I read about this first here a while ago but now cant find it! Im having a huge problem with my PT8 LE setup as when I try bounce a file, pro tools freezes right at the point where conversion of the file should be taking place. Pro Tools doesnt recover from this and I have to close it in the task manager.....

Whats going on?! Im sure this never has happened in the past, and in fact, Ive bounced files down in PT8 on my computer recently and it has all gone fine.. And ideas?

Thanks!

I bounce several things but it's never freezed.
Could I add a question? When I bounce a project, PT starts playing the song...as he has to record the song in real time. Is there a method to bounce the tracks like any other daw?

Could I add a question? When I bounce a project, PT starts playing the song...as he has to record the song in real time. Is there a method to bounce the tracks like any other daw?

Nope, Pro Tools processes audio in real time (RTAS=Real Time Audio Suite) so you have to let it run through the whole song.

Yeah I have bounced several tracks also and it has never happened up until just recently.. And im sure I read something about this happening to someone else too.
It just freezes on the screen saying remaining time 00:00 or whatever it says....

Just set your master output to a stereo bus and make a new stereo track and make the input that same bus and record the entire song and then grab that file out of your audio files folder.

try bouncing your mix down to a stereo track in pro tools and then exporting that file (on mac command+shift+k)

Just set your master output to a stereo bus and make a new stereo track and make the input that same bus and record the entire song and then grab that file out of your audio files folder.

Anyone else have any ideas as to how to sort this??

Read the first two comments, which are exactly the same, and see if that brings you any good results.

I had the exact same thing, but only with PT7.4 = BAH, at the time i couldnt really find anything good to solve this...without having to do everything all over...which i did at the end...GRRR

It sounds Better In Real Time. I always used to do it in Real time when i was on cubase anyway. It seems to sound a bit more organic. it could be psychological lol

Anyone know why?

Hmm, I'd be interested in hearing more about this. Better yet, I'll do a bounce normally, then do a real-time bounce and listen to them. :)

~006

Ok... so, I finally bounced something down this way as explained above... or tried to at least.
As soon as I change the master fader from out analog1-2 to a stereo bus, nothing goes through that master fader. What the fuck??

Sometimes if I had the buffer set too high when I was using 6.7, it would give me an error message right after finishing the bounce and would not convert/print the file. Try to turn the buffer down a level right before bouncing, and see if it helps...it always worked for me. I can't remember who originally gave me the tip, it might have been one of my audio teachers.

Ok... so, I finally bounced something down this way as explained above... or tried to at least.
As soon as I change the master fader from out analog1-2 to a stereo bus, nothing goes through that master fader. What the fuck??

You can't just change the master fader. The only way to do it is to use a AUX instead of a master fader. When you switched it to Bus 1-2, all you did was set the master fader to control anything going out Bus 1-2.

I never use bounce to disk.
I'll do the mix, change the master fader to bus 1-2, set all the tracks and effects returns to bus 1-2 outputs. Then create a new stereo track with the input set to bus 1-2. Record the mix to a new track.
Why?
*Recording doesn't fuck up like bounce to disk does.
*If it does fuck up and doesn't complete, you can actually punch in and continue.
*The final mix is now with the rest of the files, in the audio folder.
*After your mix is done and you need to make tweaks, just alt+K to switch between the old mix and new (record input/playback)
*With each mix revision, you can record to a new playlist and instantly compare.

Audiogeek, what do you do if you record a project at 24bit and you have (of course) to export it at 16bit? If you record the mix to a new stereo track, in the same project it remains at 24 bit