Pro Tools 9 Questions

JayB

Oct 10, 2009
open.spotify.com
Hey guys, just have a few questions about PT9. I currently have Pro Tools 8 LE. How many people here have upgraded from 8 to 9 and are happy with it? Is it pretty much the same as 8? Any major headaches when upgrading? I'm pretty happy with 8 save for the fact that I don't have a PT interface, so I need to record stuff in ableton, then export and import into PT. I would love to be able to record stuff with any interface and record straight into Pro Tools (that is how 9 works, right?). Also, does anyone know of any holiday deals etc for Pro Tools 9 upgrade from 8 to 9? I'm also a bit confused about what a "crossgrade" is. Finally, is there a Pro Tools 9 LE? I can't seem to find it if there is.

Go for it!

There's only Pro Tools and Pro Tools HD now (excluding MP and SE versions).
Going from 8 to 9 was smooth, biggest GUI changes were done already in 8.
If you have a PT licence AND a Digidesign/Avid hardware (with "unused" serial number) you can use it to crossgrade into PT 9.
If not, you have to buy the full version. Some people bought the smallest Mboxes with PT8 and then with crossgrade it was cheaper than buying only PT 9.

And yes, you can use pretty much any interface with PT9.

Except of course now that PT 10 is out, you probably can't get 9 .. :saint:

Hey guys, just have a few questions about PT9. I currently have Pro Tools 8 LE. How many people here have upgraded from 8 to 9 and are happy with it? Is it pretty much the same as 8? Any major headaches when upgrading? I'm pretty happy with 8 save for the fact that I don't have a PT interface, so I need to record stuff in ableton, then export and import into PT. I would love to be able to record stuff with any interface and record straight into Pro Tools (that is how 9 works, right?). Also, does anyone know of any holiday deals etc for Pro Tools 9 upgrade from 8 to 9? I'm also a bit confused about what a "crossgrade" is. Finally, is there a Pro Tools 9 LE? I can't seem to find it if there is.

PT8LE to PT9 is an excellent upgrade, definitely do it if you can find a good deal on PT9 software.

The PT9 to PT10 leap is not as dramatic, though there are some cool new features. If you're a student you can find student discounts on PT10 if you look around.

Thanks for the tips! Holy crap, I didn't realize PT10 was out already. I actually have the thing you were talking about, the smallest PT interface , the mbox mini micro. I'm confused what you mean by unused serial though. Is it possible to upgrade from 8 LE to 10? Are there even any good changes from 9 to 10?

PT8LE to PT9 is an excellent upgrade, definitely do it if you can find a good deal on PT9 software.

The PT9 to PT10 leap is not as dramatic, though there are some cool new features. If you're a student you can find student discounts on PT10 if you look around.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not a student, and tbh I wouldn't really want to jump into 10 anyway, especially considering that you said there's not much changed. I basically want to figure out the cheapest way to upgrade my 8 LE to 9...

well the whole disk scheduler was re-written in Pro Tools 10 and it makes the playback of big sessions much easier. I personally think that the changes introduced in 10 are way more "dramatic" than those introduced in 9.

Buy a new, unopened version, of 9 on eBay for like $250 and then when you register it, you can upgrade for free to PT10. Sure beats paying $500 for the crossgrade to 10, or a similar price to just buying the full version to crossgrade to 9.

Buy a new, unopened version, of 9 on eBay for like $250 and then when you register it, you can upgrade for free to PT10. Sure beats paying $500 for the crossgrade to 10, or a similar price to just buying the full version to crossgrade to 9.

The cheapest ones I'm seeing on ebay are about 450 , the price seems to vary wildly which is strange. And what is PT9 M powered? I keep seeing that.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...13&_nkw=pro+tools+9&_sacat=See-All-Categories

do you mean a new unopened upgrade/ crossgrade/ whatever? Where does it say that I'd get a free upgrade to 10?

They're are either an M-Audio version (requires M-Audio interface) or a very limited one.

As for the serials, you need to use the serial number from a Digidesign/Avid interface for the crossgrade.
That way they (Avid) can see that you've actually bought a previous version of PT...

They're are either an M-Audio version (requires M-Audio interface) or a very limited one.

As for the serials, you need to use the serial number from a Digidesign/Avid interface for the crossgrade.
That way they (Avid) can see that you've actually bought a previous version of PT...

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I have the Mbox micro mini with pro tools 8 LE, is that ok? Also, I can't find the PT9 version I need (is it upgrade or crossgrade?) on Amazon or ebay or even Avid's site. They even have PT 8 on avids site for purchase but no PT9! What the hell is going on lol

http://shop.avid.com/store/searchResults.do?phrase=pro+tools+9

maybe just buy it outright instead of trying to cross/upgrade?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tools-PT-9-0-RETAIL/dp/B004CQRT4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323448017&sr=8-2[/ame]

^ yes but if he buys 9 outright, doesn't he get the free upgrade to 10?

if its not been registered I mean

I didn't check the facts, but I don't think you'll get the free upgrade if you buy 9 AFTER 10 was released? That wouldn't make much sense for Avid.

I never considered Pro Tools to be worth more than $250 personally.

Please, please, please, not this again.

It's strange that they still let you buy 8, but not an upgrade to 9. They're making this way too complicated. Just shut up and take my damn money Avid