PRO TOOLS IS BEING A DICK

I made a session the other day, File > new session> 48khz, 24bit, I recorded alot of jamming with 8 tracks NO plug ins NONE, DAE playback buffer at 8!
I start to play the song, and halfway through it stops , the spinning wheel pops up and then the music stops and i get an error message that says "DAE can't get from the audio drive fast enough. Your drive may be too slow or fragmented.. blah blah blah"
And so i ignored it. and closed it. And mixed something else
Now today, i open a new session in the same band folder. i record 7 tracks of audio and it does it again. then it tells me pro tools is unable to communicate with HUI power.. i have no idea whats going on.
The wierd thing is.. i took track 4 off of the track.. made it inactive and the song played fine.. is there any reason track 4 is doing this? hah
Thanks ahead of time
ALec

I had sorta the same problem. What finally fixed it was that I had the compress box on the propeties for the drive checked. I uncheck it, which then uncompressed the drive, and subsequently the problem has been fixed. Felt like such an idiot on that one. So check that and see if that helps ya.

well also protools isn't supposed to be recorded to the system drive or any drive under 7200rpm it hink there is a min data access time as well. if you have all that, then reinstall it. at the repair shop we had ppl do it all the time, sometimes digi's stuff jsut gets weird and you gotta reset it is all.

Onset: I'm assuming your using a PC. Go to my computer, open that, then right click the drive or drives you are using for audio recording, then scroll down to properties, left click on properties, underneth the pie-chart looking thing there should be two boxes (at least on my computer) next to two sentences (in lack of a better term), the top one is "Compress drive to save disk space", the bottom one being "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching". Unclick or make sure the top one is unclicked. The bottom one doesn't affect anything really (as far as I can tell anyway). Hope that helps.

I'd guess that you're recording to a usb based hard drive? and maybe have a control surface also plugged in on the same usb hub?

Try moving the session to a different drive (not your system drive) and see if the errors pop up. Try a different hub for usb on your computer, and def not the usb plug on the keyboard (on a mac...)

Disabling spotlight solved all of my inexplicable spinning wheel/"too fragmented" woes.
Sometimes if there is a coruption issue w/ the session if you create a new session and import all of the session data (tracks) from the old one it will work fine.

Try setting your DAE buffer back to 2, setting it to 8 tends to cause problems. It may be trying to buffer too much and just can't keep up since it's running both the application and the audio off the same drive. Best bet would be to grab another HD or an external drive, and run the session off that...

Im recording into the internal hardrive on a mac G5, not intel. I have a project Mix I/O going into the firewire port in the front... ill try plugging in the back and see what happens

Recording to the system drive is not recommended by Digidesign.

This should be a hint "Your drive may be too slow or fragmented."
Using disk utility to repair permissions isn't a bad idea, but getting yourself another hard drive (or a few) to record to and only use it for recording is what you should do.

Project mix should work better on the back as well, less likely the plug will get damaged too.

So i was listening to a song that i had recorded that used to work, then i got the message and the drive inside made the wierdest like.. click noise i have ever heard. So i closed all applications and turned off the computer. I came back a few hours later and turned it on and well.. it wont go on now. it just sits on the white screen with the apple and sits and sits, i tried the Apple Option P + R and that did nothing. Im going to have to call mac, i hope i didn't lose anything

Can anyone else help? some band messaged me for the first time in a long time to record saturday... so if i could get it fixed before then that would be awesome.
Ill have to call mac to get the computer to start, i hope the processors aren't fried

sounds like you just killed the hard drive... Get an external drive (for $60 you can get 120gb...), and a new internal drive to replace the dead one. Install the OS on the internal, run all sessions off the external drive...