Pro Tools LE 5.3.1

Orelans

www.trole.org
Sep 20, 2002
Visit site
I downloaded the setup.exe file from kazaa and installed the said software successfully...

When I go to open it, however, it says that it cannot detect any digidesign hardware and thus does not open...

Do I need only digidesign hardwre to run this?
What kind of hardware might it be referring to (microphone?)???

I always thought Pro Tools was computer based recording software... :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help...

cheers

You need to get the several thousand bucks hardware to use protools. Alternatively, there is a demo/light version that is 100% free and itworks more like a typical computer mastering program but it has an enormous downside: Win98se only.

In my opinion: Fuck that, cubase is just as good ( as the free one mind you ) and works on xp/

Yeah... I d/l the free ProTools as well and it would not see XP as a higher version of Windows...

Cubase eh?
I'll have to look in to that... Thanks Misanthrope...

What's a good version?
I'm seeing Cubase VST32 v. 5.0 rev 6 paradox... whatever that means... There's an SX full version with crack...

Yeah, you need a digi 001 to run pro tools LE.

I do. :D

It was a grand... not bad, considering i can make cd quality stuff in my room. Now i just need a band. :rolleyes:

I guess that the hardware needed to operate Pro Tools is just for the serial port; proof of purchase so to speak...
I heard that there was a crack for this... Does anyone know anything concerning this?

The hardware you need is a pci card and an IO box... it's so you can plug shit into your pc... It's not for proof of purchase, it's so you can use the bloody thing... the only thing you'd be able to do without it is use midi, and there are better midi programs around...

There's an update for win XP for the latest pro tools, not sure if there is one for the pro tools free though, pt free is pretty... uh.. scarce... if you know what i mean, you can't do much at all.

like a couple of people have mentioned, the message you are getting refers to you needing the digi 001 in out box and card, or the m box or something else in the digi line to support the software you have downloaded.
This is because of one thing. Pro Tools works on what's known as T.D.M files. They have done this because the only hard ware that works with T.D.M files is digi design, or other affiliates of digi design, so it means you have to by their hardware in order to run their software.
It's a scandelous money making scheme obviousley, Pro Tools and digi fail to realise how much more sales they would get if it was a V.S.T based system.
What does all this mean to you??? Well it means you can't go out and by yourself an interface like an echo audio layla, or an M audio Delta 10/10 or some other equally high end brand of card that is equally as good as the ones digi produce because Pro Tools won't except those cards when you're installing it all. I think in some instances there are some cards other than digi that work, but not many.
The other main area where it is a problem is use of third party plug ins.
Due to Pro Tools being a T.D.M based system it basically narrows your options of plug ins to use to almost zero, as the biggest selling format for 90% of the plug ins available is in the V.S.T format. That's what the V.S.T part of cubase V.S.T is referring to. It means it supports V.S.T files, which is very good because there are litterally thousands of very well made plug ins made available to you at your finger tips.
As good as the Pro Tools system is, I am so glad I researched all this and ended up opting for Nuendo.
I was told about Nuendo by a friend, he said check it out. People are saying it's better than Pro Tools. I agree, it's fucking awesome. It's made by Steinberg, the makers of Cubase.
My advice is go to www.audioforums.com and do a lot of research. 4 months ago all this was double dutch to me, and now I know quite a bit about it all just from researching.
My personal advice is to get something like Nuendo or Cubase, find yourself an interface that will suport either program. You can find this out by looking up particular interface companies web sites. They will list what software programs are compatible with their hardware.
I reccommend running win 98 lite as an operating system, for this reason.
It's the most commonly used O.S in most percentages of Digital Audio Workstations, it's very stable. Most software companies, basically all of them are supported for win 98. Where I personally think win 98 has advantages is that say win XP, a lot of the most common software companies, the programmes they produce seem to clash with win xp a lot. This is something I saw pop up a lot on Audio Forums. Plus, XP is way bigger than win 98. And it's not cause it's better, it's just full of pretty shit and crap you don't need which takes up more of your computers memory which could be more valuably spent on going towards processing the audio you are recording more effeciently and cleanly.
I'd go Win 98 lite, keep your O.S as bare as you can.
Also stay away from Via Chip sets. They aren't a good idea.
You can't go wrong with all genuine Intel components basically. That's what seems to have the best reputation when you're talking about Digital Audio Workstations. But it is a little more expensive.
There are plenty of other companies that make perfectly fine Mother boards and C.P.U'S for use in digital audio workstation applications, it's just an issue of researching and making positive that everything is going to work in harmony with one another.

Hope I've been of some help

Thanks fo the response... and all the info...

Nuendo, eh?
I may as well look for that somewhere... I just downloaded cubase to my laptop... haven't run the install yet, though... I'm checking out as much recording based software as I can...

cheers

Will I experience the same problems with Cubase?

Because I am... I downloaded Cubase SX and installed it, yet when I run it, I get a error message which states that there is 'no protection device connected'...

This download said it came with a crack, but I have no clue how to get this to work...

Originally posted by Orelans
Will I experience the same problems with Cubase?

Because I am... I downloaded Cubase SX and installed it, yet when I run it, I get a error message which states that there is 'no protection device connected'...

This download said it came with a crack, but I have no clue how to get this to work...

What operating system are you running??
What kind of Mother board??
What kind of c.p.u??

They all have the potential to conflict with various recording programs if the components you are using are not compatible with your recording programme.
i.e, some recording programmes won't have a bar windows XP.
I reccomend using windows 98 lite. That's probably the most popular and most painless O.S to use in a digital audio workstation.
I also reccomend staying away from motherboards that run off a VIA based chipset.
If you can afford to, go all genuine Intel and you basically can't go wrong

Cubase SX needs a thing called dongle to run, but yes there is a crack floating around, but the one I came across wasn't working that good, so I tried the software a bit and uninstalled it.