Pro Tools10 Fades

TonyS.

www.SoundCollab.com | www.risingstorm-music.com
Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
Have a question about editing all fadeouts of one track at once.
Ist this possible in PT10? Its very easy in Cubase, you can simply select all clips and do it with the mouse.

I need it for following situation, when cutting out noise on tom tracks with the strip-silence function.
Its just possible to set a fade time for both, fadeins and outs...but I want to keep a longer time for the fadeouts.
Any idea?

Man, same problem here and I'm afraid that we can not do that in PT. Maybe someone has a tip?

You can do it in PT using "batch fades" (cmd-f on Mac) as shown here :

Last edited by a moderator:
@gail
I need two different Fade times, a short one for fadein and a longer one for fadeout, how could I do this with this function?

@Potshot
I want to fade all all clips in one track, neither of groups.

It would be so stupid, if this is not possible...

@gail
I need two different Fade times, a short one for fadein and a longer one for fadeout, how could I do this with this function?

I don't hink you can do it, the cmd-f will let you apply the same setting on fadein fadeout.
I gotta check it out, since it's a lot since I used cmd-f, I use beat detective even on guitar tracks to apply fades, or I do it by hand

Although PT10 is great for the most part, it still sucks for some details like that. We can easily do such edit things in Nuendo & Cubase... don't know why Avid doesn't fix that!?

yeah, it's the only thing in pt10 that bugs me. so stupid that you can't select multiple regions/clips in the same track, then trim and fade them alltogether.
it's a totally natural thing to do in cubase

Don't have PT with me here but doesn't it work with the Fade Tool and holding SHIFT?

But anyway in that particular case why would you need to put a short fade in?

EDIT: Oh maybe you don't have PTHD or CPTK2, these versions have auto fades which I believe the lower PT versions haven't. Mmmmh, then maybe a workaround (besides the help of macros) would be to set two different default fade curves of the Fade In and Fade Out in the PT Preferences, with the Fade Out having a long decay and the Fade In having a short and more abrupt curve (by that I mean having the curve reach the Top more quickly). Again, can't validate that this works here as I don't have my iLok key on the laptop to use PT, but it probably should.

I can't think of a way to do specifically what you're asking. When I edit drums I just place a fade after each edit. I like to have control over the sustain of each edit I'm making. If you don't know the fade shortcuts, hitting 'G' (with keyboard focus on the edit window) will fade to the end of the region from your cursor. So just click on where you want the fade to start, hit g, and move on. That's what I do anyway.

At the moment, I do all the short Fade Ins with the Fade Tool and the outs manually with shortcuts.
..it's ok, but "The best DAW in the whole universe" shouldn't lack of this simple feature.
:puke:

As I said, try setting your fades preferences or use a Batch Fades like this one (say you want your fade outs to be 1000 ms and your fade ins very quick). Somehow the display of the fade ins is still 1000 ms though the curve does not update to the reality, but that might save you time.

fades.png

don't do it with strip silence, do it by hand!
every hit needs a different fade length etc, depending on the part and what's ringing into it etc.
for optimum results you really have to do every single tom hit by hand

As I said, try setting your fades preferences or use a Batch Fades like this one (say you want your fade outs to be 1000 ms and your fade ins very quick). Somehow the display of the fade ins is still 1000 ms though the curve does not update to the reality, but that might save you time.

fades.png

Thanks, now I understood.
every hit needs a different fade length etc, depending on the part and what's ringing into it etc.

Yeah, I did it this way, just used strip silence to take out the trash and set the Fade In...did the Outs manually.
Just wanted to know how it's working in PT10.

Yeah but this tips can be also useful to edit some guitar/bass parts.

The best way I've found for editing toms, is to set the nudge value to what ever you think would be a good start pad,
Tab to transient on the tom, nudge back, Trim start (a) tab back to the tom and fade in, or click and fade in.

I'm fucking quick doing it this way, The fade outs definitely have to all be different.