Probably an old, old question for y'all...

Tyrannorabbit

Dec 5, 2001
Visit site
Years back, so long ago I don't even remember if I'm just kidding myself, I seem to recall hearing that there were plans for SymX to re-record the S/T album - or at least to re-record the vocals with RA. Now, that hasn't happened yet, and given the pace of real SymX recordings of late, I won't be holding my breath even if it's still on the table.

So am I just imagining things?

Well...when I played the interview on the special edition release of S/T, they were indicating there probably wouldn't be time for a full remake. But you never know, there may be a song or two occasionally.

Yeah, from everything I have heard, they will probably record a couple more favorites from the album, but I remember reading somewhere that they said that they would "never rerecord the WHOLE album...."

However, they SHOULD think about performing it live in its entirety once similar to the way that Dream Theater did with When Dream and Day Unite and record it. Whether on CD or DVD, I would just like to hear Russell Allen sing all of the songs on that album...that way, they would also not have to waste time in the studio with the album. That is one thing I love about Dream Theater is their robust collection of demos and live performances...I really like the Official Bootlegs idea...really cool...though I would certainly wait until a special anniversary date for the live performance of the S/T...it wouldn't make sense to do it any other way...

I dunno about "Absinthe and Rue"...while Russ is an inhumanly talented singer, I don't think I've ever heard him do that almost Arabian-sounding bit that Rod does on that one in certain spots. I imagine he could get it just fine...but that's just one I have a hard time imagining anybody else singing.

My vote for a remake would go to "The Raging Season"...especially since one passage from that already revisited on Twilight!

I don't care if it's redone as a whole or not. I even wouldn't bother because I like the first one as it is. It has its place in the catalogue so why change this. To me it would be very strange if bands redo their old albums just because the singer has changed. Every singer has his own feel for a song and one should respect it. As Rose Immortal has said, some songs might be worth it some won't.

I think the idea isn't all that they have a different singer, but that the bands writing style hadn't fully evolved to what it is today. As MJR said, there are some good moments on that CD, and you can start to see everyone's influences and bits and pieces of what the SyX sound would later be. But as you may know MJR really likes good production, so that would be yet another factor. He aslo said, that they probably wouldn't re-do the whole album, because that would just be "overkill", It was on the interview on i guess the special edition S/T.

Rod Tyler did some cool things, but don't forget Russell Allen has done some Egyptian sounding themes, and well rpetty much ALL SORTS of music, most songs done by Russell Allen in itself has a unique quality to it. I still think they should re-do the whole CD just for the sake of seeing what it would be like and Sell like a collectors Pack that comes witht he Original Selr-titled, and the new Self-titled.. With some bonus features maybe bringing Rod Tyler back for a few words and hello's!