Problem with ugly hiss/noise/fuzz with high treble guitar sounds

BrutalTruth2013

New Metal Member
Nov 3, 2012
Hi there. I tried to replicate some older sneap-sounds, like Machine Head TMTC, to learn from it. I tried to get more or less close, and did matching EQ against solo riff guitar passages from the corresponding CDs.

While it sounds as first nice, it appears that it sounds like there's a static hiss, noise or fuzz added to it. I tried with all Amp-Sims I have (even without using any cabinet sim), including Ez Mix Andy Sneap. It's always the same.

Usually I would EQ this static noise out. But if I do so, the sound looses it's character and becomes dull.

It's like in the originals there's something going on, which isn't there.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks in Advance for any tips.

Amp simulators should be used with impulse responses(cabinet simulators), your best choice is to use a low pass filter, start at 11khz, and start sweeping it down until you feel the fizz is somehow gone. EQ makes wonders, but make sure not to kill too much treble frequencies.

I spent way too much time and effort trying to get real amp sound out of a fake amp. you can definitely make them sound good, but if the tone you want came from a real amp, that's where you should start. I recommend a real amp + impulses if you don't have the space to mic correctly. the "cheap/harsh treble" is usually around 4000hz just boost an eq band by 10db or so make the q relatively tight and sweep around that area until you hear an area that's way harsher then the others and then just dip out at that frequency until you are happy. that being said, posting a clip would help us help you a little better.

This is a problem I sometimes have too. The best advice I can give is to keep trying different impulses(if you use them),
adjust your amp-sim EQ controls, and sweep around with a low pass filter starting at 10k and moving back until most of
the hiss/harshness is gone and your guitar sounds good. Also, be sure to be listening/monitoring at a low volume level so
your ears won't get tired and fooled by the loudness.