Problems reamping

natasinfected

Sep 19, 2007
Hi guys. A while ago I posted this same problem in OZ' Preparing your tracks for reamping: A Guide thread, however I wasn't able to find a solution, so I gave up reamping until this week, when I tried to give it a try again. The issue is that my reamped tone sounds without gain and force...

Here are three files:

The DI signal
Schecter Devil Custom -> DI -> Firepod

The Recorded signal
Schecter Devil Custom -> DI -> 5150 -> Randall XL -> SM57 & e609

The Reamped signal
Firepod -> X amp -> 5150 -> Randall XL -> SM57 & e609

I created a MONO output in Cubase SX3 to send the signal to the X amp using a balanced cable, there were no clipping during the recording neither the reamping. X amp output is full.

From the advise I got in my first post, Oz pointed me to be sure set the firepod's to a +4 output, however I wasn't been able to do so :guh: I read the whole thread again and other different forums, and although there are similar issues, I wasn't able to find how people fixed the problem.

Can the "+4 output missing step" be my problem? Any idea why is this happening? Thanks in advance!

Well, notice how quiet the DIs are? Seems like they're averaging about -20db. You'll either have to turn the DIs up in Cubase or use more gain on your amp.

In fact, the gain in the 5150 is 6... If I set the gain to 10 then it sounds much more like the original tracks. However one would expect to get almost the same sound reamping or using the guitar... Do you think if I pull the fader I will get more gain? Then that means that I need to get more power in the DI signal!

Thanks a lot guys! I will check that in a couple of hours!

Just wondering, do you know how to set the output of the firepod to +4? I really don't know how to... Have been checking the manual, cubase manual as well and some other forums, but there's no too much info!

Use a clean channel on your amp, plug straight in and play a little, get your bearings, and then patch in the reamp and adjust the output until it's about the same. With the clean channel you should be able to hear if there is any undesirable distortion. I keep finding myself putting my TS9 on the reamp out, gives me a really good gain adjustment going into the amp. Try to make it close, but absolutely don't be afraid to twist knobs after the fact if it sounds different, it may not be quite the same, but it's no different than the difference between two guitars, and is much less significant than the difference between two players.

I tried the tips above and wasn't able to get the expected results. DI fader was turned up and never got a decent tone. I looked for an option to change the output from the FP10 from -10 to +4 and wasn't able to find were to do so. I asked Presonus Tech guys and they don't know about that option neither.

Everything points that the tracked DIs are very low, however when I tracked them, highest peak was at -6db.

Does someone reamp with a FP10 or a Firepod and Cubase? If so, did you change the "stock" settings for input/output dbs at some point? I believe maybe it has something to do with the -10/+4 option that I haven't been able to modify...

Any ideas? I will download a DI track from a random thread and will look if that works. That's the only thing I haven't tried. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm not that sure... When I tried to apply the tips above, I used the following chain

DI (Track) -Output to-> Reamp (Group) -Output to-> Main Stereo L&R Output

All faders were at 0db. Then, I tried increasing the faders, but the sound of the reamped track wasn't good, even when the 3 faders (track, group and main output) were at +6.02!

That is why I think that maybe there's a setting (in my DAW or the Interface setup) that is decreasing the level I need to reamp (of course that is just a guess...)

^ haha

I seem to remember with the Firepod there being some problems with the "mix knob"? I don't know, try that maybe.

Inherently the XAMP does drop the level a tad as well, there has been threads about this before.

yes, x-amp's output is all the way up (in fact, I have never seen the clipping led working for it :p)

no, i'm using Cubase SX3

me too, I read somewhere about the mixing knob, however you will start getting an awful feedback if you turn it to the wrong way! I also remember reading about some issues with the XAMP dropping down the level, however what I'm getting is far too down. Also I found people here being very happy reamping with their own XAMP :S

btw, socks are black :p

You are using a TRS to XLR correct? Not a TS?

I have the XAMP and it works fine, but I boost with a TS before the amp. It does drop the level a bit , even admittedly from Radial who sent mod info to get it to unity gain.

yes, the cable is a XLR to TRS. Did you have chance to check the examples I uploaded? Your reamped tone, without the TS, sounds more or less like mine?

Is there a chance you can share with me a piece of DI track you have reamped and that have worked for you?

Try plugging your XAMP into something that doesn't color the tone, like a headphone amplifier, and compare it with how it sounds when you plug an electric guitar into the same thing(i.e. headphone amp). See if you notice anything strange, like if the reamp track sounds a lot weaker than a guitar, which has got to be the case. It'd be easier to find what's wrong if you could figure out what the XAMP does to the DI signal, and it's easier to do that by skipping the amp.

If your reamp track's level is too low going into the amp you will get the same effect as if you have your volume pot on your guitar on a very low volume, you'll get much less gain out from the amp, which seems to be what's going on. Using a tubescreamer as a boost after the XAMP sounds like a great idea.

I thought it had already been established that your DI's are too soft? Anyway, try re-amping the DI's from the Guitar tone Comp. 2 package, if they sound fine then there's your answer ;)