professional filtered earplugs

mephisto_loh

Green Tea Member
Dec 9, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hey guys

For rehearsals, or rock concerts the normal earplugs doesn't work good if you want to enjoy the music. I've been searching the internet and found some earplugs that attenuate in a very flat response all the audible spectrum. I want to take care of my ears and enjoy the music at the same time.
have anyone of you guys used this kind of earplugs? any suggestion for brand or type?

I found these ones.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/er915and25pr.html

http://www.earinc.com/p2-specialty-musician.php

thanks for your support!:kickass:

And as for Gigs where i don't mix? the normal earplugs suck!

What you do on your free time it's up to you. But when you are working and if you mix foh with earplugs (you can mix mons with plugs tho), you can make people deaf in the worst case scenario, like I noticed on this one minifest where the only guy who mixed with earplugs, the band came 10dB louder than the o ther bands and it was really awful to listen to as he boosted the highs like... a lot.

Go to your local audiologist and ask for musician's earplugs... I got some for $150 a few years ago and I can't imagine living without them. I take them out when I'm mixing (at least until the mix is 95% there) but for band practice or just checking out shows they're awesome. Slight HF attenuation but they sound much better than any of the generic ones.

How does it work with the Fletcher-Munson curves? If everything is attenuated 20dB it will sound different to your ears, even if the frequency response is identical when measured with a microphone. Can you get custom molded earplugs that compensate for this? Slightly off-topic, but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

How does it work with the Fletcher-Munson curves? If everything is attenuated 20dB it will sound different to your ears, even if the frequency response is identical when measured with a microphone. Can you get custom molded earplugs that compensate for this? Slightly off-topic, but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

From what I was told, this is why the high frequencies (and low) are attenuated, at least with the model that I got. I haven't heard of any that compensate for that. You can buy 15, 20, and 25db filters and obviously the more volume is attenuated the less you're going to perceive the extreme treble and bass frequencies. I use the 15db for everything and they sound accurate enough for me.

My custom molded Westone ear plugs are the best $150 I've ever spent on musical gear. I wear them to shows all the time, sometimes onstage depending on stage volume, I even wear them when mowing the grass sometimes. I have the 25db filters, and yes it does slightly attenuate high and low frequencies, but the lack of ear damage and lack of headaches are WELL worth it.

I've seen some data sheets and for the 15db's its like the fletcher munson 's curve but with a 15dB offset. obviously is not that accurate but that's the principle i guess.

I mix with earplugs but I dial in the first song (or two) in without them then put them in, and occasionally I take them out throughout the set just to hear how everything is sounding

I do agree it is easy to mix a lot louder and not notice it.

I mix with earplugs but I dial in the first song (or two) in without them then put them in, and occasionally I take them out throughout the set just to hear how everything is sounding.

This is the way I do it too. Once I've got the mix together I'll leave the eq's and just ride the faders. If I've gotta mess with delays/reverbs I'll pop the plugs out as they're pretty hard to judge with plugs in.

proper plugs are the best pieces of gear you will ever own. perpetual ringing of the ears has been horrible for me... get them now

ive tried to do FOH with plugs about three different pairs and can not get along with it!

you can be exposed to about 25 mins of loud music a that volume without hearing damage. so in betwween bands put plugs in then when the club has music on in the background, this is how i do it everytime now.

I mix with earplugs but I dial in the first song (or two) in without them then put them in, and occasionally I take them out throughout the set just to hear how everything is sounding

I do agree it is easy to mix a lot louder and not notice it.

for me it depends. i have very good earplugs which i use to mix in a few occasions.

example:
I have full control over the mix, festival, big venues -> never wear plugs

If I have a small club with a band i can work with (they lower amps and i can gain as much control as i need) -> dont wear earplugs

if i have a long tour going on with one hall sounding like shit and my ears are already suffering on fatigue -> i wear earplugs after the sound is best (after 2-3 songs in the show) then put them out here and there

if i have a loud band in a small club being loud as hell from stage
-> i wear earplugs after the half of the first song, as i dont have any control over volume.

in general if i have control i dont. if i dont have control i use earplugs if necessary.

i once had a band on tour 40shows in 46 days... loud as hell 115 db/a in the first row without any amplification from the pa system. this means approx 110 at front of house. i told them to lower down but they didnt "we are a rock band, we're loud". my answer "i am a sound guy i mix, i am not an amplifier and do loud. you'll sound like shit as i dont have control, it'll be bassdrum and vocals in the mix and i will use ear plugs to be able to do sound again when the tour is over. but there will be house personal that is not ok with that volume somewhere within the tour. i will forward any comlains to you as i dont have control. i would kick you guys out of my venue."

they were ok with that and to my supprise just one house guy complained.

as for me, i am a sound guy i make bands sounding good. no control no mixing. if the band is to loud i have to protect my ears to be able to do my job for more then 5 years. of course the audience suffers as well, but if the band decides to be loud they are gonna do it and pull all volume knobs to eleven.