Professional studio=bad mix?!

kool98769

Mar 9, 2011
So, i'm from fargo, ND and a local band These Hearts recently got signed to victory records and today they released their new album.
they are friends of mine, and the fact that they are a local band makes me want to help them out, so i bought the album.
Sounds like shit. (I can't do better, but hey, I don't do this for a living)
It honestly sounds like they took the most annoying part of the singers voice (which lots of people hate to begin with) and made it prominent. You can barely understand what he's saying. They recorded the vocals, and had the album mixed with Matt Dalton at 37 Studios (did. In one of the songs you can hear where the vocals were cut. Like, seriously dude? I honestly feel bad for the band.
Or is this maybe something that was slaughtered in mastering?
Here's some clips. I posted a clip of their older stuff, which, i think sounds MUCH better, and as a reference for how the singers voice sounds like for real.
New Stuff
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16665737/Apology Rejected clip.mp3
Old Stuff
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16665737/Friends dont let friends clip.mp3

So, they recorded everything and then hired him to mix? It could be a lot of people's faults if that's the case. If you've ever been handed terrible tracks to mix and then be expected to fix them and mix (often with absurd deadlines) you can end up doing work that is below your own standards.

So, they recorded everything and then hired him to mix? It could be a lot of people's faults if that's the case. If you've ever been handed terrible tracks to mix and then be expected to fix them and mix (often with absurd deadlines) you can end up doing work that is below your own standards.

They did the vocals at the studio where it was mixed. and i think the vocals ruin thhe whole mix

Holy shit, sounds like they made the formants pitched higher than the real vocals for no reason except than getting a whiny as fuck sound that pisses everybody up.

Last mix I worked on. Absolutely terrible DIs and the track had about 3 punch ins the whole way through. Ended up shitty and I wasn't comfortable putting it out under my name

Last mix I worked on. Absolutely terrible DIs and the track had about 3 punch ins the whole way through. Ended up shitty and I wasn't comfortable putting it out under my name

The instrumentation honestly doesn't sound that bad though, IMO. It just sounds like the whole mix got over processed and then the vocals just ruin the possibility to enjoy the music. Dudes are fun as hell to watch live, and write catchy stuff, but I'm having a hard time listening to the music because i'm so annoyed by the sound of the vocals.

My band did a demo at a "professional" studio and received a terrible mix with THE worst guitar tone ever and pretty much zero low end. Vocals were the only good thing because they were running through a couple grand of API's... Lol. The guy mixing probably didn't give a care because our drummer took like 6 hours to record one song... :(
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3689406/Conqueror (Sound Lair Demo).mp3

On topic: But yeah, Victory is a joke to me now. That was pathetic to listen through.

If you think thats bad check out what my band got from a "professional" studio. He didn't even ask us if we wanted to track to a metronome. He just rattled on about his avalon pre amp and how eating drugs are bad (his assistant disagreed with him.)

We were 14 at the time and the music is really shitty.... maybe thats why the mix blows but 6 years later I feel like I'm getting better mixes out of my basement
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1950013/VCDS.m4a

OT- I don't think that the mix is bad just the way the singer sang is annoying

I wrote them a while about their record since it took them quite some time to get it done. They told me that they had it produced by craig owens (I'm assuming doing prepro) and then recorded it at Paper Tiger Studios. They said that the mixer was having a tough time with the vocals and that they planned on rerecording it.

*Edit*

Sorry missed this post:
They did the vocals at the studio where it was mixed. and i think the vocals ruin thhe whole mix

I do feel sorry for this band, since it seems like a lot of locals decide to spend a lot of money and go out of state to have someone with a name do their record, only to have it sound like garbage.

I've also wondered what is the label's role in this... maybe they don't care or can't do anything or are maybe just deaf and can't tell that there is a problem.

I wrote them a while about their record since it took them quite some time to get it done. They told me that they had it produced by craig owens (I'm assuming doing prepro) and then recorded it at Paper Tiger Studios. They said that the mixer was having a tough time with the vocals and that they planned on rerecording it.

*Edit*

Sorry missed this post:

I do feel sorry for this band, since it seems like a lot of locals decide to spend a lot of money and go out of state to have someone with a name do their record, only to have it sound like garbage.

I've also wondered what is the label's role in this... maybe they don't care or can't do anything or are maybe just deaf and can't tell that there is a problem.

One night I talked to their drummer right after they got the final mix back. basically, they recorded it a LONG time ago, and were putting off releasing it because they hoped to get signed and then have label support on the release, which is basically what happened.
Victory didn't really have much to lose, they already had the album recorded. They'll probably do alright because they have a good appearance, which, like it or not sells music.