Profire 610 Standalone

Studdy

Jan 24, 2012
I own a fireface 800 which has 10 inputs. I always feel like I need a couple more for room mics etc. would a maudio profire 610 be a good choice in standalone mode connected to my fireface via spdif? It seems like it would be a great choice but I'm not sure. Thanks everyone.

Can anyone else chime in? Im not really looking to be cheap, but if this little box can do the job im good with that.

I have one but I've never synced it up with any other interface before. I'd imagine it would work fine, it's digital - all or nothing. I will say it's not going to be good for reamping but for just micing a set of OHs, sure. Might get more bang for your buck with a 2626, though, especially finding a used one. You can reamp fine with a 2626.

I have one but I've never synced it up with any other interface before. I'd imagine it would work fine, it's digital - all or nothing. I will say it's not going to be good for reamping but for just micing a set of OHs, sure. Might get more bang for your buck with a 2626, though, especially finding a used one. You can reamp fine with a 2626.

I've heard a few guys here say they reamped completely fine with their 2626's alone and no DI box/reamp box. I still haven't tried and I should play around with that today considering I have my Mark IV and 2x12 Marshall cab sitting right next to my recording rack.....

It will only be used for additional mics on drum recordings. (rooms, hats, snare bottom, spot mics. etc). I just dont want sync / timing /phase problems. I also want stability. My RME Fireface will do everything i need otherwise.

I've heard a few guys here say they reamped completely fine with their 2626's alone and no DI box/reamp box. I still haven't tried and I should play around with that today considering I have my Mark IV and 2x12 Marshall cab sitting right next to my recording rack.....

Can anyone explain how plz?

Lo, sorry... I was Just curious about reamping without a reamp box.. I've always readed they are needed for impedance matching

Pretty sure roflsaurus uses the 610? I have the 2626 and have never connected it with anything else so far.

Bryan speaks the truth! I haven't used it in standalone but I do have to say it's an awesome interface for what it is. The only real problem I've had is the occasional BSOD. The sound is awesome though, pick one up used if you can

Well bsod won't be a problem in standalone. Okay I will give it a shot, it's gotta be as good or similar as anything else in that range (presonus, focusrite , behringer) just less channels. But I only need 2. Thanks again.

I have one but I've never synced it up with any other interface before. I'd imagine it would work fine, it's digital - all or nothing.

That's actually not the case. It can appear to record fine and then start dropping a sample here and there over time.

To the OP - To sync the 610 with the FF800 you set the last device in the chain to internal sync (the 610) and set the one at the computer (FW800) to external ADAT. Clock is sent with the adat out, so whichever device is receiving needs to be the slave.

The exception would be if you are sending and receiving. You can set either way but they can't both be on internal or external sync. One on internal, one on ADAT.

Another thing to mind is that simultaneously recorded sources will have a slight time/phase offset between the two devices that you might have to adjust manually.

That's actually not the case. It can appear to record fine and then start dropping a sample here and there over time.

To the OP - To sync the 610 with the FF800 you set the last device in the chain to internal sync (the 610) and set the one at the computer (FW800) to external ADAT. Clock is sent with the adat out, so whichever device is receiving needs to be the slave.

The exception would be if you are sending and receiving. You can set either way but they can't both be on internal or external sync. One on internal, one on ADAT.

Another thing to mind is that simultaneously recorded sources will have a slight time/phase offset between the two devices that you might have to adjust manually.

So I can't use the RME clock? I would have to use the profire clock when using it via spdif for 2 additional inputs? If so, can I simply switch fireface to external clock when tracking with the profire for extra inputs (drums only). Then unplug the profire and switch RME back to internal for tracking/mixing the rest of session?. Sorry for questions first time trying a spdif a/d converter.

Wouldn't the rme have a much better clock? Would using the profire clock when tracking drums technically affect my drum recordings? Thanks so much.

Use 2 ADAT cables, you might want the extra monitor options anyway. Then you can use the RME as the master clock and Profire as slave. Set RME to internal and Profire to ADAT. The setting you choose is what inputs that device listens for clock, not which one is sending clock, clock is always sent on the digital outs. That got me confused the first few times.

Same deal with S/PDIF.

So I need to use 2 spdif cables in and out in order use fireface clock? That makes sense.