M-Audio Profire 610 or Firebox?

Teaboy

Cor blimey guv'nor
Nov 22, 2008
London
I've been using my PODxt as an audio interface, but it's horrible and I'm getting glitchy recordings. It's just not ideal, so I want to buy something a bit better.

I've been looking at the M-Audio ProFire 610 and the Firebox. The Firebox has been recommended to me by a few people, but it seems to have a lesser spec for the same price.

They're both about £230ish. They will both suit my immediate needs, but the 610 looks better for future proofing.

I've heard the 610 has some noise issues though, so I'm not entirely sure. But I do like M-Audio stuff in general.

So for recording metal, and the occasional acoustic track (two mics; one vocal & one guitar), which would be best?

Any suggestions? :D

Profire 610 is way better than the Firebox. The Firebox kind of blows, and the 610 from what I have heard is quite good for the money. The Firebox is a step below the Firepod/Firestudio gear, and the Profire gear seems to be a step above the Presonus stuff entirely.

I'm not really fussed about re-amping; I don't even have an amp. I'll only be recording from my PODxt :)

Looks like I'll be getting the M-Audio then!

With 610 you can't reamp correctly because the line level output is too low. Don't know about the firebox

I have tried the 610 with a reamp through a couple of different amps and haven't had any problems. What did you find about it that doesn't work?

I have tried the 610 with a reamp through a couple of different amps and haven't had any problems. What did you find about it that doesn't work?
It works. But, according to specifications, it has 16 dbu at output, 4 db lower than more expensive M-Audio interfaces like ProFire 2626 or FastTrack Ultra 8R.
It seems that reamp-boxes (at least Radial`s) better suited for 20 dbu.