Prog Power Headliners

Glenn,
I think most have no problem with booking Amorphis.
As Diabolik and others have said though, I think because of them being a headliner, it has more of an "out of left field" feeling than if they were in a different slot.

I think most people have no issues with going outside the prog / power scene for the fest, and agree it's good for keeping things fresh.

, I think because of them being a headliner, it has more of an "out of left field" feeling than if they were in a different slot.

quote]

No argument there at all. From a behind the scenes perspective, my options were not as large as the average fan would think due to various reasons ("just don't know right now, not doing any shows in the fall," etc). Once that happened, it became a situation where I could go back to the well again or throw the curve.

Batter up.

That's what I figured.

I understand people who would rather have that prog/power standard as a headliner. But its not like you necessarily can choose from each of the 'standards'.

Also, from people on the ProgPower forums, there are people that have been attending the festival for a long time. But now they have children and other expenses that keep them from attending. Some new blood has to come in. I also saw a pretty decent reaction when I asked a long while back on the PPUSA forums if people would be open to other styles of prog (meaning progressive death/doom/thrash).

I'm really fired up to see Amorphis, but can Borknagar be not too far away from a PP appearance?

Well, now we are getting back to the debate on what makes a band progressive.

There is nothing progressive about Symphony X other than their label.

Amorphis have truly progressed.

Therefore, I guess we can all get into another debate as to what makes a band progressive. Does their music evolve? Or is it limited to just a genre description?

Anyhow, I think its a good move.
Power metal is not as underground in the states as it was when Prog Power got things rolling ten years ago....

The fest itself is truly progressing.

I know there aren't nearly enough dragons and trolls and elves and unicorns for your liking, but all things about PPUSA considered, they may not be an ultra-risky booking, but Amorphis > Evergrey, Kamelot, or Symphony X playing yet again...

Oh noes! I expressed an opinion someone doesn't like! My world is at an end.

*snerk...guffaw*

In my opinion, this whole thread doesn't belong here. It's for those that are fans of Prog Power and there is a separate forum for that. Again, just my opinion, but if I wanted to read and talk about that fest, then I'd go to that forum.

Well, this is a forum for another metal festival in the United States. Therefore, I think this is indeed a valid place to discuss. Some of us who are outsiders (IE - never attended the fest), might have some differing (but valid) thoughts and opinions on Prog Power, and the lineup this year. I am sure any promoter would be interested in reading anyone's opinion of his or her fest.

I am sure any promoter would be interested in reading anyone's opinion of his or her fest.

Are the promotors of Powerfest the same as the promoters of Prog Power? I don't think so. Besides, I'm not speaking about what the promoters think. I'm talking about the fact that if you want to speak about prog power, go to that forum and do it. It's pointless to do it here. Most of the people who care about that fest would be hanging on that forum...not here.

I'm talking about the fact that if you want to speak about prog power, go to that forum and do it. It's pointless to do it here. Most of the people who care about that fest would be hanging on that forum...not here.

Actually, there's a lot of Chicago people that go to Prog Power.
We talk about a lot of shows on this forum and it's not just limited to Powerfest. I don't see anything wrong in having this thread.

Actually, there's a lot of Chicago people that go to Prog Power.
We talk about a lot of shows on this forum and it's not just limited to Powerfest. I don't see anything wrong in having this thread.

I never said you couldn't discuss this or any other fest. I'm just saying that it's pointless. Most of the people that would care about that fest would be on that board. For example, if I wanted to talk and hear about tap dancing, I wouldn't go to a ballet dancing forum. Know what I mean?

BTW, saying a lot of Chicago people go to PP is not a valid point for talking about it here...not unless you can say a lot of people that attend Chicago Powerfest attend that fest....and that is just something you will never know.

Are the promotors of Powerfest the same as the promoters of Prog Power? I don't think so. Besides, I'm not speaking about what the promoters think. I'm talking about the fact that if you want to speak about prog power, go to that forum and do it. It's pointless to do it here. Most of the people who care about that fest would be hanging on that forum...not here.

That's kinda ridiculous. It'd be like if any news from any band/cd you would rather go troll their forums instead of just reading 1 general music forum

I never said you couldn't discuss this or any other fest. I'm just saying that it's pointless. Most of the people that would care about that fest would be on that board. For example, if I wanted to talk and hear about tap dancing, I wouldn't go to a ballet dancing forum. Know what I mean?

BTW, saying a lot of Chicago people go to PP is not a valid point for talking about it here...not unless you can say a lot of people that attend Chicago Powerfest attend that fest....and that is just something you will never know.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Actually, it makes perfect sense...but what you're saying does not apply here. This is not a general fest forum. This is a specific forum for Powerfest...just like prog power is a specific forum for that fest. Again, if I wanted to read about prog power, I would go there.

Actually, it makes perfect sense...but what you're saying does not apply here. This is not a general fest forum. This is a specific forum for Powerfest...just like prog power is a specific forum for that fest. Again, if I wanted to read about prog power, I would go there.

so then why did you open the thread? :p

so then why did you open the thread? :p

Ummm...what are you talking about??? Jasonic started this thread. I'm merely voicing my opinion that it doesn't belong here. Period.

I will stop replying in the hopes it gets buried.