Prog Power Headliners

I'm going to ProgPower, but I will NOT be watching Amorphis. IMO, that was a very lame choice for a headliner. Iced Earth, I understand, regardless of my personal opinions about John Schaffer.

As for the people skipping out on RAGE for Evergrey autographs: I heard about that. Had I been there, I would have been seeing RAGE. :)

I'm honestly considering going now... Iced Earth with Matt Barlow is something I'd rather not pass up. Granted, the tour will most likely be right after, I wouldn't mind seeing them play a few times as long as they pull out some classics from Burnt Offerings.

They haven't played anything off that album in a LONG LONG time.
Something tells me Matt's multi-year departure from IE isn't going to help in changing that.

Maybe this has been addressed. Maybe not.

Will Marlow be performing Ripper-era material?

Probably - he does sing all of the songs originally sung by Gene Adams and John Greely.

Well, there's a big difference in performing material from vocalists BEFORE your time in a band, as opposed to material from your successor.

Dickinson has performed select BLAZE tracks (Clansman, Lord of the Flies, etc).

I have read both Halford and Belladonna state that they felt they didn't have to perform material that their successors perfomed.

I will get egged for this....
The Dark Saga might be my fav IE album.
Either that or Something Wicked.

DS was the first IE disc I ever got.
Guess I am partial to it.

If that's the case then we're getting egged together. Dark Saga and Something Wicked are my two favs. It doesn't get any better than when Matt sings the middle section for "A question of Heaven", the part where he says "Why don't you let me diiiiieeeeeeee!!!"
Awesome.

That is why Halford > Most people

Lee...quick message m'kay?????
fun.jpg

If that's the case then we're getting egged together. Dark Saga and Something Wicked are my two favs. It doesn't get any better than when Matt sings the middle section for "A question of Heaven", the part where he says "Why don't you let me diiiiieeeeeeee!!!"
Awesome.

I gotta disagree and say the chorus to Burnt Offerings is orgasmic worthy

I think I'll continue to go to ProgPower every year as long as I can afford it because I believe it's the best concert atmosphere anywhere in the country...regardless of lineup. I could probably like only one band in the lineup and still and go and have an amazing time.

Agreed, however I ended up not going last year because of burn out on the fest, the lineup didn't appeal to me either so it worked out. Outside of the show it's the same people doing the same things every year, so yes it's fun but after you've done it for 6 years it got a little old.

I'm going to ProgPower, but I will NOT be watching Amorphis. IMO, that was a very lame choice for a headliner. Iced Earth, I understand, regardless of my personal opinions about John Schaffer.

As for the people skipping out on RAGE for Evergrey autographs: I heard about that. Had I been there, I would have been seeing RAGE. :)

I know there aren't nearly enough dragons and trolls and elves and unicorns for your liking, but all things about PPUSA considered, they may not be an ultra-risky booking, but Amorphis > Evergrey, Kamelot, or Symphony X playing yet again...

I know there aren't nearly enough dragons and trolls and elves and unicorns for your liking, but all things about PPUSA considered, they may not be an ultra-risky booking, but Amorphis > Evergrey, Kamelot, or Symphony X playing yet again...

I agree that Amorphis is a interesting choice but as the headliner, it is a let down for the people that made the fest what it is. I am glad they didnt go the Symphony X, Evergrey and Kamelot route, but Amorphis would have been a better choice as the slot right before the headliner.

DS was the first IE disc I ever got.
Guess I am partial to it.

I'm with you, The Dark Saga is king. To me it shows that sometimes less is more with music, everybody is always wanting complex riffs and crazy solos but Jon managed to write an amazing metal disc with very simplistic songwriting.

I agree that Amorphis is a interesting choice but as the headliner, it is a let down for the people that made the fest what it is. I am glad they didnt go the Symphony X, Evergrey and Kamelot route, but Amorphis would have been a better choice as the slot right before the headliner.

Personally I'd rather see Oliva headline and Amorphis take their spot, I'm honestly still not sure why a legend like Oliva is not worthy of headlining. Then again, I'll take Iced Earth, Amorphis, and Oliva in any combination I can get them these days.

Who are these people who "made the fest what it is"? I've been to every single Prog Power USA event, and I'm happy as a pig in shit that Amorphis is headlining :)

Mountain King has been to like 7 of these things, and he's happy Amorphis is playing. General Zod has been to nearly all of the events .. again .. happy. Dark One ... a two time festival sponsor .. happy as hell that Amorphis is playing.

Sure, theres some folks that would like to see the Stratovarius, Edguy, Symphony X, Kamelot, Helloween and Gamma Ray types headline every single year ... I even like most of those bands .. but it just gets stale. As you say Amorphis is a great change of pace.

Britt

I mean defitenely there alot of people who branched out into the other subgenres after starting out as a powerfag, I'd say most if not all do...but I'd rather have 3 growling 3-4 slot bands and 1 good headliner than reversed :zipit: