Prog Power Headliners

Neil -
Yes, we are all making generalizations.....
As you said, "So what??"
You seem to agree with most of what I say.
Therefore, why are you surprised I said it?

I said it before, I am basing my opinions of a lot of the attendees solely on posts I have seen on the forum.

It's my opinion (which I am allowed to have) that the majority just go with the flow and love everything that is booked. Very rarely are there posters there who truly express their feelings about each band, esp if it is negative.

Hey, once again, this all speaks to how successful the festival is.

I said it before, I am basing my opinions of a lot of the attendees solely on posts I have seen on the forum.

Same here. I have yet to attend a Prog Power. Last year I was all set, I even had my ticket for the Jon Oliva acoustic performance on Wednesday but unfortunately my gramma passed a couple of months before the fest and she lives south of the border so my Prog Power cash was spent on plane tickets for some people.

It's my opinion (which I am allowed to have) that the majority just go with the flow and love everything that is booked. Very rarely are there posters there who truly express their feelings about each band, esp if it is negative.

What he said.

Same here. I have yet to attend a Prog Power. Last year I was all set, I even had my ticket for the Jon Oliva acoustic performance on Wednesday but unfortunately my gramma passed a couple of months before the fest and she lives south of the border so my Prog Power cash was spent on plane tickets for some people.

Sorry to hear about Grandma Saladbar
(Or was it your mama's mama....)

Anyhow, yea, I remember you saying you WERE going.
I didn't know that you didn't end up going.

Sorry to hear about Grandma Saladbar
(Or was it your mama's mama....)

Anyhow, yea, I remember you saying you WERE going.
I didn't know that you didn't end up going.

Yeah Grandma. It seems that I will have to wait a loooong time to see Pagan's Mind, I had my chance and it didn't happen.

I think I'll continue to go to ProgPower every year as long as I can afford it because I believe it's the best concert atmosphere anywhere in the country...regardless of lineup. I could probably like only one band in the lineup and still and go and have an amazing time.

It also helps that I live in South Carolina and it's in Atlanta, so it's much closer than say, Chicago Powerfest or Maryland Deathfest, or other festivals that are popping up.

Yea, there is definitely a built-in audience.
I have heard many people say that they will go regardless of the line-up

I guess it depends what kind of concert-goer you are too.

Personally, due to various reasons (IE - finances, family, work, etc), I am very select about what shows I go to, even in my hometown.

If I were ten years younger, and all my money was only spent on myself, I would think differently. Therefore, I can't look at a festival or show and say, "Well, not much for me here, but I will go anyhow, just to hang out, etc..." Sure, sometimes I go to shows even if I am not the biggest fans of all the bands, but I know they are all solid bands and it will be a good gig. Pagan Fest is a perfect example for me of this. I have heard select tracks from each band and like what I have heard. I am not too big on the whole viking thing, though I know these are top players, so it's a gig to attend!

Now, I wouldn't travel to another state to see it though.

if someone says that they hate a certain type of music (i.e. Growl vocals) and 2 weeks later they say that Amorphis is the greatest thing ever just because they are headlining the fest, that makes me wanna puke.

Ok, but that has never happened.

It's not a generalization, it's a complete fabrication![/Johnnie Cochran] Jon Oliva dancing a naked jig on the ProgPower stage and then taking a bath in a tub filled with his own shit makes ME wanna puke. But so what? That has no connection to reality. I can invent all kinds of imaginary situations that are distasteful. It's the real situations that are the only ones worth talking about.

It's my opinion (which I am allowed to have) that the majority just go with the flow and love everything that is booked.

What mechanism do you use to differentiate between someone saying that they like a band because they're "going with the flow" and someone saying that they like a band because they genuinely do?

And fear not! I was attempting to enact legislation to prevent you from having an opinion, but that got blocked in the Senate, so you're safe on those grounds. :mad:

Very rarely are there posters there who truly express their feelings about each band, esp if it is negative.

ha...I'm sure this elicited at least a rueful chuckle out of Glenn!

Neil

Get over it.
I admitted that these are generalizations.
It's how myself (and apparently a few others) perceive the actions of some of the Prog Power faithful.

Think about it...Part of what I am saying must be true.
For example (and I don't mean to pick on the band or their music), would Freak Kitchen go over well at Keep It True or Wacken?

Ok, but that has never happened.

It's not a generalization, it's a complete fabrication![/Johnnie Cochran] Jon Oliva dancing a naked jig on the ProgPower stage and then taking a bath in a tub filled with his own shit makes ME wanna puke.

I'm gonna end this discussion right there. Rock on.

I'm honestly considering going now... Iced Earth with Matt Barlow is something I'd rather not pass up. Granted, the tour will most likely be right after, I wouldn't mind seeing them play a few times as long as they pull out some classics from Burnt Offerings.

As for Amorphis, I'm sure they were selected to headline based on their later albums, which while disappointing to Death Metal fans, were pretty damn good for Progressive Metal/Rock fans.

That said, I'd rather of seen someone else headlining the first night. Namely Orphaned Land. :p

No crap from me. LOAD was a fine album
I bet dollars to donuts that people here who say the album sucks never even heard it aside from songs on the radio.

The same goes for the Black Album.
Unfortunately...the WORST songs on the album were selected for singles.

I got Load, Reload, St Anger....not really sure cause all of them blow.