Prog Rock Standouts

sixxswine said:
If FW isn't prog what in the f%#k would you call it?!

Fates Warning is prog now, has been since No Exit, a little bit on that album as well. But their first three were in no way progressive Metal. They were Traditional/Power Metal, derived from NWOBHM.

I was just saying, he mentioned specific albums of theirs that were not Prog, and the thread subject is prog rock. I mean, Spectre Within and Awaken The Guardian are two of my favourite albums of all time. \m/

Fates Warning - Part of the Machine, The Ivory Gate Of Dreams, Epitaph, Life In Still Water
Dream Theater - A Change Of Seasons, Scarred, Trial of Tears, Stream of Conciousness
Queensryche - Neue Regel, London, Speak, Eyes of a Stranger
Rush - 2112, Time Stand Still
Opeth - The Lepar Affinity, To Bid You Farewell
John Arch - Relentless
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain

Well I said once in radio that "The Bleeding" was the most prog album of Cannibal Corpse (during a Cannibal special I was playing that night) :lol: My friend Darren (the DJ) was like
p085.gif

As prog as may be considered I never liked (and still don't) Fates Warning nor Symphony X. What's prog for one person can be nothing for another (misquoting Burkhard).

Angra - "Holy Land" is pretty prog on its own right, and what do you do with albums like Týr - "Eric The Red" or Wuthering Heights - "Far From The Madding Crowd".
How prog has to be your prog?

sixxswine said:
I hear you. Weren't you the guy that said he only cared for No Exit from the Ray era?

I am, but I was talking about the earlier albums. I agree with "No Exit" being more on the progressive side, but it's a little more straightforward at some parts as well - sort of a Power Thrash album. The 20 + minute closing track can definitely be considered Prog Metal though, same with "Shades Of Heavenly Death" . However, I personally think they lost the ability to write interesting compositions after No Exit, plus I enjoy Ray Alder's vocals more than most people I know. Nowhere near John Arch, but he suits what they're doing now.

a few of my faves are

up the downstair by porcupine tree
shimo koto by the ozric tentacles
keep talking by pink floyd

crystal dawn

Only got a sketchy knowledge of prog but here's some of my faves:
Pink Floyd: Comfortably Numb + Learning To Fly
Spocks Beard: Skin
Marillion: He Knows, You Know + Punch And Judy
Rush: Xanadu + Tom Sawyer
Alan Parsons Project: Eye In The Sky + Pyramania
Dream Theater: Pull Me Under,
Camel: The City Life + Rhyader Goes To Town
Saga:It's Time + The Perfectionist
Kansas: Magnum Opus
Jethro Tull: The Witches Promise + Broadsword
Genesis: A Trick Of the Tail
Hmm This list ended up longer than I planned.

Vanden Plas- "The God Thing, Far off Grace" and "Beyond Daylight"
Dream Theater - "Images and Words"
Queensryche -"Operation Mindcrime" I think it's iffy to call it prog, but I think it could be argued either way.
Fates Warning - "Perfect Symmetry"
Balance of Power - "Heathen Machine" (the Lance King era was great as well, but more power metal with a few prog tendencies)
Avalon - Eurasia (another that could be argued either way prog or power, but great release)
Pagans Mind - Celestial Entrance
Ice Age - Liberation
Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories (hard to label as prog, but hard to label as anything)
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - ST
Symphony X - The Odyssee

Bryant

Bryant said:
Queensryche -"Operation Mindcrime" I think it's iffy to call it prog, but I think it could be argued either way.
Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories (hard to label as prog, but hard to label as anything)
Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force - ST
Bryant
Again another mindbreaker post by Bryant :tickled:

Queensryche: I've never considered them prog in any way, but again I had never been a fan of the band. And I agree that they surely doesn't sound like GNR or Metal Church, so maybe they are a style of their own (especially in early albums and towards OM).

Lacuna Coil: as a fan of the band I say they are gothic metal (whatever that is). Less power than Sentenced or Misery Inc, and surely less depressing, but alike with Within Temptation and the "new" Nightwish :yell: I consider them ambientally more akin to goth.

Yngwie Malmsteen: the debut is maybe the essence of what is call "neo-classical" metal. To me have more of classic music integrated into metal and the obvious influence of Deep Purple/Rainbow than prog like ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Magma, Gong, etc.

Jean-Pierre said:
I am, but I was talking about the earlier albums. I agree with "No Exit" being more on the progressive side, but it's a little more straightforward at some parts as well - sort of a Power Thrash album. The 20 + minute closing track can definitely be considered Prog Metal though, same with "Shades Of Heavenly Death" . However, I personally think they lost the ability to write interesting compositions after No Exit, plus I enjoy Ray Alder's vocals more than most people I know. Nowhere near John Arch, but he suits what they're doing now.
I think "No Exit" was a great transition album. Arch era had it's share of prog moments and even Alder are (post NE) had a few straight-forward songs, but I do consider "No Exit" to be a different style than all other Alder era recordings, though I do like it.
To be honest, I have a hard time really trying to distinguish a power-metal band with strong prog tendencies from a light prog-metal band with power-metaql tendencies as does every other red-blooded metal-head so my point is really ..... well pointless.

Bryant

Bryant said:
a power-metal band with strong prog tendencies from a light prog-metal band with power-metaql tendencies as does every other red-blooded metal-head so my point is really ..... well pointless.

Bryant
No is not. To me is great, it shows how different people have different appreciations towards music. I have a really hard time in this and another forum getting people to understand how I can dig Testament but not Overkill, Helloween but not Rhapsody, Yngwie Malmsteen but not Symphony X, etc.

Personal appreciation is what is all about. ;)

Bryant said:
I think "No Exit" was a great transition album. Arch era had it's share of prog moments and even Alder are (post NE) had a few straight-forward songs, but I do consider "No Exit" to be a different style than all other Alder era recordings, though I do like it.
To be honest, I have a hard time really trying to distinguish a power-metal band with strong prog tendencies from a light prog-metal band with power-metaql tendencies as does every other red-blooded metal-head so my point is really ..... well pointless.

Bryant

I totally get what your saying, but you have to admit - absolutely ZERO prog influence on "Night On Brocken". :D

But I consider "Spectre Within" and "Awaken The Guardian" to be pure Power Metal, just as I do with early Crimson Glory and Fifth Angel. It's all good though.