Recommend prog bands!

Alex78

Fretbuzz Virtuoso
Jul 12, 2002
Germany
Visit site
Currently I'm kind of running out of albums to listen to...
I like: Fates Warning, Anacrusis, Psychotic Waltz, Prototype, Devin Townsend,
Opeth, Meshuggah, Voivod, late Death, Jason Becker, for example.
other bands I tried, but didn't like that much: Atheist, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Nevermore, Coroner, Cynic...

Now, what are some other good progressive thrash/power/whatever metal bands?
I have a weak spot for long, emotional solos, actually...but not just guitar wanking.

Try (if you haven´t already done so):
Atrox (you can download one new song featuring their new male vocalist and 7 songs from their first 4 albums in the "retro"-section featuring Monika Edvardsen on vocals - my favourite album is still "Terrestrials", followed by "Orgasm")
Sieges Even
Mekong Delta
Toxik
Hexenhaus

np: Tactile Gemma - "Deep"

Just a few month ago, I asked the same question on this board and was turned on to the following three AWESOME bands:

Ark
Communic
Circus Maximus

Other fantastic prog bands are:
Arena, Shadow Gallery, In the Woods, Spock's Beard
(although Arena and Spocks Beard are more prog rock than prog metal)

Ayreon
Ark
Manigance
Rush
Angel Dust
Redemption
Shadow Gallery
Liquid Tension Experiment
Spastic Ink
Transtlantic
Acid Rain
Adramelch
Anubis Gate
Skyclad
Gordian Knot
Helreid
Presto Ballet

I just got in touch with Devin Townsend. Damn the music is great. He's really a great artist.

Dream Theater is also a progressive band I really like.

About Opeth, I think they are very good I still have to buy there cd's.

Not metal but i'm now listening to The Tangent third album and it's exactly what I look for in a prog band.

The Tangent - 'In Earnest'

Not metal, per se, but I never see anybody talk about Jethro Tull here, and they are about as prog as it gets. Once you get their vibe, you'll realize that a lot of bands like Opeth owe them mightily.

ElectricWiz said:
Not metal, per se, but I never see anybody talk about Jethro Tull here, and they are about as prog as it gets.

Because I sensed the original thread was more into prog metal, now if we going to hit the classic prog vein we have:

Pink Floyd
ELP
King Crimson
Camel
Goblin
Yes
Genesis (old)
Van der Graaf Generator
Magma
Curved Air
Tangerine Dream
Amon Düül II
Renassaince
Gong
Ange
UK
Atoll
PFM
Roxy Music (early)
Caravan

Hawkwind
Uriah Heep
Rush

etc.

ElectricWiz said:
Not metal, per se, but I never see anybody talk about Jethro Tull here, and they are about as prog as it gets. Once you get their vibe, you'll realize that a lot of bands like Opeth owe them mightily.

Yeah, you might say that they started the prog revolution. Best record: passion play(hare who lost his spectacles), thick as a brick.

Opeth is considered death metal, isnt it? Not relly prog.......like meshuggah... both good, but not prog........prog is volta, Symx, townsend , ect.

Evergrey is one of my personal fav prog bands.. if you like dark atmospheric stuff with intriguing messages i definently recommend them