Prog!!!

TravisW

Jul 24, 2002
Fargo, ND USA
Visit site
Okay fellow Borknagar fans, who among you are into groovy old 70's prog? I have lately been spinning Genesis' Foxtot, King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King (and Larks Tongues in Aspic), Focus' Moving Waves, Yes' Yesstory, Kansas' Leftoverture and Point of Know Return, and a bunch of 70's Rush. Any other prog-heads out there want to comment on what you've been listening to?

Well, I beg to differ. I think this should be a great board for prog-discussions as there is a lot of this music present in the Borknagar expression. I am a huge fan of progressive music from '66/'67 up to around '76. Early Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson (I even like Robert Fripps soloalbums), Gentle Giant, Camel, Backdoor, Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson is great) and EL&P to name a few. I am also into the prog-revival that took place in Sweden during the early nineties. Änglagaard, Landberk and Anekdoten are among the favourites from that musical movement.

I think prog has had a lot to say when it comes to the development of black metal and related music. Where would Emperor be without their progressive influences? Or Arcturus? Or Borknagar for that matter?

Originally posted by TheRealLazare
Well, I beg to differ. I think this should be a great board for prog-discussions as there is a lot of this music present in the Borknagar expression. I am a huge fan of progressive music from '66/'67 up to around '76. Early Yes, early Genesis, King Crimson (I even like Robert Fripps soloalbums), Gentle Giant, Camel, Backdoor, Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson is great) and EL&P to name a few. I am also into the prog-revival that took place in Sweden during the early nineties. Änglagaard, Landberk and Anekdoten are among the favourites from that musical movement.

I think prog has had a lot to say when it comes to the development of black metal and related music. Where would Emperor be without their progressive influences? Or Arcturus? Or Borknagar for that matter?

I tend to agree (of course, as the starter of this thread, I probably should)
Prog has been an integral part of metal in general for many years. If a person listens to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, for example, there are a lot of progressive influences there, as well as on many tunes from the likes of Maiden, old Metallica, etc.
Truth be told, I personally think the true spirit of progressive music has been taken under the wing of a lot of heavy bands like Emperor, Borknagar, Opeth, etc...even moreso than most modern "prog" acts, which often seem to be rehashing what was done in 1973.
I guess that's one of the things I love about the development of music. You could theoretically have a mellotron playing Nidelven over a Uriah Heep-type groove with grim black metal vocals and somehow make it work....well, perhaps anyway...hrm...
I'll go back to work now.

Best prog CD's I own:
Camel - The Snowgoose
Camel - Moonmadness
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
EL&P - Tarkus
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Mats/Morgan - Live

As far as I'm concerned, the progressive elements make music more intricate, interesting, listenable, and the tunes will generally "last longer" ;) Heck, I play in a band where prog is an essential part. I recently got hold of a Yes-collection from my father. It's been spinning around in my CD-player alot. Especially the older Yes-albums. This is cool shit!

Music should be intresting and adventurous in my point of view, and many prog bands are using those two simple tresholds, so I'm a fan of proggresive music.

mr V

Originally posted by Vintersorg
Music should be intresting and adventurous in my point of view, and many prog bands are using those two simple tresholds, so I'm a fan of proggresive music.

mr V

Owning all but 2 of Vintersorg, Borknagar, Otyg & Havayoth, I'm shocked that you feel this way! ;)

Dangerous music is often interesting music. Deep Purple's live improvisation is another example of that, but in a totally different way than prog-rock. I think, though, that most great metal bands have some sort of progressive leanings. Sabbath did, Maiden does, and on and on down the list through the years. Metal and Prog go together like beer and....more beer.

Thought I dig this thread out again :)

Been to the Prog Power Europe in baarlo and it was a great festival! Unfortunately the band I was looking forward most, wasn't there... Theory In Practise :cry:

Of those bands who were playing: Antares, Divided Multitude, Stonehenge, Dead Soul Tribe, Heaven's Cry, Threshold, Arabesque, Sun Caged, A.C.T., Ashes To Ashes, After Forever and the two cover bands The Song Retains The Name + Up the Irons

I enjoyed most: Heaven's Cry, Dead Soul Tribe, Stonehenge and Sun Caged.

well early Rush , most of the seventies & early eighties albums like 2112.