Essential Prog Rock

progmetaldan

Nov 25, 2006
South Australia
www.myspace.com
I've been really getting into the whole progrock stuff lately, especially the more old school like Yes, Kansas etc.

I'd like to know which albums i should get first by bands such as:

Yes
Kansas
King Crimson
Rush
ELP
Jethro Tull
Asia

and any other bands I don't yet know about... Cheers! :)

Yes - Close to the Edge, Fragile, Tales of Topographic Oceans, Ultimate Yes Collection. (Ignore Kenneth on this one, he doesn't know what he's talking about)
Kansas - Point of Know Return, Leftoverture
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (That's really it, Trilogy is okay)
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick, Aqualung, A Passion Play, War Child
Rush - Caress of Steal ( And for all you progsnobs who'll say 2112 is the best album, it isn't. Tremendously overrated album IMO.
Asia - Don't bother. OK band but not essential in the least.

The only ones of those that I really listen to a lot are Yes, Rush, and a little bit of King Crimson, Asia, and Kansas.

For Yes I'd reccomend Tales of Topographic Oceans, Relayer (not as popular, but probably my favorite), and Fragile.

For Rush....just start buying. Moving pictures is a probably the easiest place to start. Fly by Night, Caress of Steel (even if ONLY for the fact that the narrator in The Necromancer sounds disturbingly similar to the sexal harrassment panda), 2112, Farewell to kings, Hemispheres, Grace Under Pressure, and Snakes and Arrows are all very worth getting IMO.

The only Asia albums I have are Aura and Silent Nation, which I honestly only bought because Guthrie Govan plays on them. I haven't listened to either enough to go reccomending or condemning them.

I'm only familar with Kansas' more popluar stuff and their greatest hits CD is the only one I have, which I do enjoy.

King Crimson is a band where I only have some of their stuff, but I love the stuff I do have. In the Court of the Crimson King, The Power to Believe, and In the Wake of Poseidon are all pretty cool. I've heard bits of Lizard as well, which seemed pretty awesome.

For other reccomendations.....definitely get U.K.'s self titled album. It's got Holdsworth on guitar duties....that should be all you need to know. You are failing at life if you choose not to get this. I also think Transatlantic (I know you're a Neal Morse and Dream Theater fan so you're probably at familar with the transatlantic stuff) does a great job of capturing the vibe of the older prog bands. Both studio albums are fantastic as is the Live in Europe dvd. I don't have the other one yet. Echolyn is another new band who captures that old-school prog rock vibe fantasically. I only have their live release "jersey tomatoes" but have been meaning to buy more for some time now. Marillion is another must-listen-to band. I've got a couple of their CD's, the only one of which I can remember the name of is Season's End (which is also my favorite). I'm pretty sure only the re-release version of it is available anymore, which is good because the bonus disk has a fantastic song called The Bell in the Sea.

That's all I've got for now...

You missed probably the most important (IMO) 70s progrock band - Genesis.

Start with Selling England by the Pound, since its their most solid release from beginning to end. From there go with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (their concept album and most mature offering, musically, from the Peter Gabriel era) and Foxtrot (some really key songs from their catalog on this one, including their 20+ minute epic Supper's Ready). If you really dig Foxtrot, check out Nursery Cryme and Trespass last, cause those two are the hardest for new fans to get into, even though Nursery Cryme has two of the best songs they've ever written (The Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis), much of the album is *very* subdued. The live album is cool if only for the version of The Knife thats on it, since it blows away the studio version on Trespass.

I don't acknowledge Genesis past The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, so someone else is gonna have to step in to give Collins-era reccomendations ;)

As far as King Crimson goes, theres less to breakdown, I'll just give you the essentials from each era:

late 60's - 70's
** In the Court of the Crimson King
** Larks Tongues in Aspic
** Red
(note that ItCotCK has a *very* different sound than the latter two albums, due to a totally different lineup, and Crimson's knack for constantly evolving (read: progressing ) their sound, however since its the first KC album, and arguably the album that created progressive rock, it is essential.

1980s:
** Discipline
** Three of a Perfect Pair

1990-2000s:
** THRAK
** The Power to Believe

With Rush, you're golden starting with anything from 2112 through Moving Pictures, with Moving Pictures being the most logical choice for most newbies. I *highly* reccomend going with A Farewell to Kings or Permanent Waves from there. 2112 loses some steam after the title track (which is worth the price of the album alone) and Hemispheres is amazing, although I just personally dig AFtK and PW more.

Like most of the other 70s progrock bands (King Crimson being the one huge exception) Rush forwent their roots for a more mainstream sound in the 80s, although out of all of them Rush is the only one that maintained some amount of integrity (going for a mainstream ROCK sound as opposed to mainstream POP - like Genesis and Yes).

Camel's - Mirage, The Snow Goose, and Moonmadness albums are perfect to begin with. Perhaps they are arguably "the best" to begin with.

Rush, hemispheres,power windows,grace under pressure!!!

yes, big generator,union.

I love all that old stuff as well and you should try a band called the flower kings, they are in that vein with long songs and incredible musicianship:worship:

enough to try that new thing we talked about?

If it has to do with a truss, a rubber chicken, a ball gag, and an optional reach around, been there done that, get original MAAAAAAN! :lol:

Now, some may say it's not true "prog rock" and some may say it is. I won't argue about it. Try me. :heh:

Dan -
If you want GREAT prog rock stuff, I will reccommend 2 different things for you to dl/try:

1) Mike Keneally - Hat - Great stuff by the former (& last) FZ stunt guitarist
Hat has been recently remastered, and dude, it fucking rocks.
I'd even be willing to burn & send you a copy. Sluggo! is quite good as well, but is way OOP, and pretty expensive, even on the used market.
Go here and check out some stuff: www.keneally.com

2) Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming of the True - Big Genesis influence, some very twisted lyric content, but a MUST have for anyone into Prog Rock.
If you find this in Oz, get yourself a medal! Same offer as above

Its hard to recomend on the old stuff, for one because what people will like or not is easier to find out quick, those guys were more origional because they were breaking in roads with much fewer influences than later music, so some of its off the wall or not techical enough or to mellow or repetitous or maybe a few gems surrounded by less satisfactory stuff.

some safe music is

Rush - Just something about Caress of Steel, 2112's probably tecnically better, more advanced, more played or something but I just need a dose of Caress of Steel from time to time
Tull - Thick as a Brick, Aqualung
Kansas - Masque is an earlier work than the more overplayed later stuff and has some highlights

stuff I didnt listen to when I was younger because it wasnt guitar heavy enough but appreciate today
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery has its highlights, the song Tarkus from Tarkus which is one side of the album is note worthy
Yes & King Crimson ? I suppose I should give them a chance again and follow some of the advise given here. The songs Court of the Crimson King and Round About are def noteworthy but I cant speak for the rest

Focus - Is hit and miss, some classical influence, gems surrounded by hard to take songs, sometimes sound like ELP (keyboards) but have more guitar going on. Sometimes like Tull but these guys ran pretty much parallel in the time line so I dont think they were "cloning". Great instrumentals and pray you never hear one with much singing. Hamburger Concerto is one side of an album and interesting, We all should be fimiliar with "Hocus Pocus" ground breaking in its day. House of King is a great song, Sylvia is great. These guys may be the earliest example of a hint of what was to become classically influenced progmetal.

less tecnical stuff fit only for more diverse tastes and depending on what you call progressive

Chicago - Yes I just said Chicago - Early Chicago was good stuff in my opinion, Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II, a rock band with horns and some great grooves, experimental ideas and sometimes down right hard driving, then they went wanky after Terry Cath died

Alice Coopers - Killer - not super techical in theory but great ideas, one side is basically a concept and contains some of my old favorites. Halo fo Flies, Desperado

I still like my old Uriah Heep - Salisbury and Look at Yourself - not a tecnical band but they ran parallel with Sabbath in my opinion as heavy metal pioneers. Earliest example of choral and monkish chantings I can think of in rock with pedaling riffs. The song Salisbury is an interesting one side "progressive"epic but I suspect the record company brougt in outside help for the arrangement. Heeps downside was too repetitive and lack of additional ideas. Still something about that over driven Hammond B3 shoved through a Leslie and distorted guitar riffin out that drew them to my liking, with good lyrics and vocals.

Crack the Skys first album was great, they used alot of chromatic guitar breaks and counter point bass. Drums and bass tied at the hip. But they were different so thats taste oriented

Believe it or not pre Steve Perry Journey was progressive rock and had some great songs but I havent heard them in decades.

When your ready to step just a bit outside the rock/metal box and be impressed with virtuosity & composition - Dixie Dregs - Freefall and What If are a must have and should be easily enjoyed by anyone that likes intensely composed instrumentals.

Rush, hemispheres,power windows,grace under pressure!!!

yes, big generator,union.

I love all that old stuff as well and you should try a band called the flower kings, they are in that vein with long songs and incredible musicianship:worship:

I've got three of their albums, I really like 'em! I'm gonna have to check out the Transatlantic ones as well...

Now, some may say it's not true "prog rock" and some may say it is. I won't argue about it. Try me. :heh:

Dan -
If you want GREAT prog rock stuff, I will reccommend 2 different things for you to dl/try:

1) Mike Keneally - Hat - Great stuff by the former (& last) FZ stunt guitarist
Hat has been recently remastered, and dude, it fucking rocks.
I'd even be willing to burn & send you a copy. Sluggo! is quite good as well, but is way OOP, and pretty expensive, even on the used market.
Go here and check out some stuff: www.keneally.com

2) Kevin Gilbert - The Shaming of the True - Big Genesis influence, some very twisted lyric content, but a MUST have for anyone into Prog Rock.
If you find this in Oz, get yourself a medal! Same offer as above

I'll shall check 'em out fo sure! ;)

Rush - Caress of Steal ( And for all you progsnobs who'll say 2112 is the best album, it isn't. Tremendously overrated album IMO.
"2112" as an album isn't all that great, that's true, but it's still better than "Caress Of Steel", which contains exactly two good tracks ("Bastille Day" and "The Necromancer"), the rest ranging somewhere between mediocre filler and rubbish.

A couple of albums I wouldn't want to miss from my prog rock selection are...
- King Crimson's "Red" (one of the most heavy and disturbing prog records out there, especially scaring considering it was recorded in 1974... Bill Bruford's playing here is ungodly)
- Genesis' "Foxtrot" (their best and most consistent record, contrary to a lot of people saying otherwise ;))
- Uriah Heep's "Look At Yourself" (surprisingly heavy, technical and incredibly adventurous) and "Demons And Wizards" (70s flair personified, just all around great songs with fabulous playing by everyone involved)
- Queen's "A Night At The Opera" (can't go wrong with 70s-Queen as a rule, but this one right there is the best albu every recorded... you owe it to yourself)

Yes - Union, The Ladder.
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Rush - All Albums. There really isn't a bad one.
Asia - Silent Nation
Camel - Moonmadness
Genesis - Foxtrot
Procul Harum, Popol Vuh, and many others.

Don't bother with the commercial bullshit. There is an "acceptable list of great prog rock" and everyone always seems to spout it off like they memorized it, but it's as true as rolling stone's "greatest bands of all time" :zombie: