Essential Prog Rock

Yes - Union, The Ladder.
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
Rush - All Albums. There really isn't a bad one.
Asia - Silent Nation
Camel - Moonmadness
Genesis - Foxtrot
Procul Harum, Popol Vuh, and many others.

At last, somebody mentioned Camel other than me :D

Great list BTW, really. Except the fact that i don't know Procul Harum and Popol Vuh.

And whenever you want to get rid of a moody or depressive psychology, watch Hocus Pocus from Focus. You can search it on youtube :D

I'd say don't waste your time or your money. Get some Turisas or Månegarm and watch as your life takes on new meaning.

C'mon man, the classics are fucking awesome.
yes, big generator,union.

Big Generator is a good song.

Yes - Union, The Ladder.

Hah! See, don't listen to Ken, those are easily the worst albums.

Don't bother with the commercial bullshit. There is an "acceptable list of great prog rock" and everyone always seems to spout it off like they memorized it, but it's as true as rolling stone's "greatest bands of all time" :zombie:

By more commercial you mean better songs? Because the Ladder and Union were both lacking in the song writing category.

Gentle Giant - S/T

Gentle Giant's best album is easily Acquiring the Taste.

Hah! See, don't listen to Ken, those are easily the worst albums.

By more commercial you mean better songs? Because the Ladder and Union were both lacking in the song writing category.
That's your opinion, buddy.

Close To The Edge is one of the most overrated albums in the genre, and only because Dream Theater fans are even worse, else it would be THE most overrated. Groupthink is fuckin lame.

That sentence doesn't even make sense. :lol: It's the snobs that glorify it, along with Fragile and Relayer (which are better) and Topographic Oceans, but they foolishly dismiss the rest of Yes' catalogue.

These are the same people who think Jethro Tull only put out one good album (Thick as a Brick) or that Genesis was better without Peter Gabriel.

I see the children are going at each other tastes again.... What a shame...

Rush - Hemispheres & Permanant Waves
Genesis - Foxtrot
Yes - Close to the Edge & Relayer
King Crimson - Court, Red, Thrack
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Queen - A Night at the Opera

As for newer releases with the old school feel...

Syzygy - Allegory of Light
The Tangent - Music that Died Alone
Tea Party - The Edges of Twilight
Karmakanic - Entering the spectrum

That sentence doesn't even make sense. :lol: It's the snobs that glorify it, along with Fragile and Relayer (which are better) and Topographic Oceans, but they foolishly dismiss the rest of Yes' catalogue.

Whatever. It's obviously subjective anyway.

These are the same people who think Jethro Tull only put out one good album (Thick as a Brick) or that Genesis was better without Peter Gabriel.

Anyone who thinks like that should be shot.

If you are into checking out some old fusion...

Al Dimeola - Land of the Midnight Sun
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

When bands like Genesis and Yes were fresh ..... thats what the girls listened to.

Now the boys ..... we rocked, keyboard and synth saturated music didnt cut it, lack of driven rhythmic groove didnt cut it.

Today their music is noteworthy for its tecnical structure ........ but the rest is subject to taste and personal preference. I was always more willing to sacrifice a bit of sophistication for raw energy and driven groove.

thanks goodness the handful of progressive metal bands I listen to today have the best of both.

Jethro Tull ? I thought they were one hit wonders, did they record again after their top 10 hit Thick as a Brick ?

When bands like Genesis and Yes were fresh ..... thats what the girls listened to.

Now the boys ..... we rocked, keyboard and synth saturated music didnt cut it, lack of driven rhythmic groove didnt cut it.

Today their music is noteworthy for its tecnical structure ........ but the rest is subject to taste and personal preference. I was always more willing to sacrifice a bit of sophistication for raw energy and driven groove.

thanks goodness the handful of progressive metal bands I listen to today have the best of both.

Jethro Tull ? I thought they were one hit wonders, did they record again after their top 10 hit Thick as a Brick ?

What the hell are you talking about? I think you need to end yourself. And while you're at it, acquire some decent musical taste or GTFO.

Yngvai X said:
You missed probably the most important (IMO) 70s progrock band - Genesis.

Start with Selling England by the Pound, since its their most solid release from beginning to end. From there go with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (their concept album and most mature offering, musically, from the Peter Gabriel era) and Foxtrot (some really key songs from their catalog on this one, including their 20+ minute epic Supper's Ready). If you really dig Foxtrot, check out Nursery Cryme and Trespass last, cause those two are the hardest for new fans to get into, even though Nursery Cryme has two of the best songs they've ever written (The Musical Box and Fountain of Salmacis), much of the album is *very* subdued. The live album is cool if only for the version of The Knife thats on it, since it blows away the studio version on Trespass.

I don't acknowledge Genesis past The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, so someone else is gonna have to step in to give Collins-era reccomendations ;)

sorry to butt in, but this calls for my favourite quote from American Psycho:

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual.

:lol: - sorry, that will be all..

At last, somebody mentioned Camel other than me :D
I love Camel, I really do, but none of their albums is as indispensable as the great classics by Genesis, King Crimson and the like. I love me some "Moonmadness" or "The Snow Goose" time and time again, though, and "Lady Fantasy" is a song absolutely on par with the heavyweights of the genre (plus, it rocks!).
One of the most fascinating things about Camel is that their (or rather "his") contemporary albums are all concept albums based on true stories you totally don't expect prog rockers to write about... I've always wanted to have a listen to "Nude" or "Stationary Traveller".

Dude, just stop right there. I'll assume the first statement you're not referring to girls in the literal sense but rather as an attack on a man's macho-ego, because literally, that statement is false.

Secondly, Genesis especially isn't about technical structure... neither are pretty much 90% of oldschool prog bands. Maybe it is compared to straight ahead mainstream rock music, but these bands simply approached writing rock-oriented music with the same care and thought process that one would put into writing orchestral music, or in the case of more jazz-influenced bands like King Crimson or Zappa, a jazz tune. When I listen to Yes and Genesis, I hear a band that is orchestrating itself as a true ensamble, rather than applying typical "rock" roles to the instrumentalists. I hear way, WAY, more "tech" writing in modern progmetal bands, like Dream Theater, than I ever do in the classic 70's progrock bands. When I listen to old Genesis the first things I notice are the strong melodies and lush harmonic textures to the music, not crazy tech chops or insane time signature shifts (because they aren't there). yeah, the shit doesn't "ROCK" but thats not what those bands were about either, and thats not why I listen to them.