Prog!!!

Jethro Tull is great, kind of symphonic music with folk influences. They have some really strange songs. Exellent musicians!!

My favorite albums are: heavy horses and songs from the wood

Don´t know if it fits in this thread but the music is intresting and adventurous (I am sure you´ll like it mr V)

I like prog very much! Specially King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King and Lark's Tongues in Aspic. I like Yes too. The albuns Relayer and Close To The Edge are great! I'm also a big fan of all Pink Floyd stuff. Prog Rox!

what do you think about italian prog bands like P.F.M or Area? do you know them?
I know PFM a little... but there is a junk techno band called PFM too. Every time a look for PFM on the web or file share programs this band appears, so i've given up.

Im a huge prog head myself...i had never heard anyone else mention Focus - Moving waves before in here...which is a great album...im glad there are people out there that dig the stuff. I love yes, rush, camel, spring, PFM, ELP, genesis, jethro tull, floyd, cressida, gracious, still life, soft machine, hawkwind, Van der Graaf generator, renaissance, yada yada yada...as far as reccomendations go:

Rush - Hemispheres
Yes - Close to the edge
Camel - Moonmadness
Jethro Tull - Thick as a brick
Gracious - Self Titled

those should get anyone new to the stuff a good place to start.

I just getting into prog such as Rush and Geddy Lee, what a great bass player and have only heard 2112, counterparts, vapour trails and the best of from 74-80 which are all goo as well as a sprinkle of Floyd and Yes. Anyway may point is that it's all very well saying about 70's prog, what about prog metal lik Opeth, Death and are very own Borknagar. It seems funny that all this time has passed and only now bands are touching on the idea of putting prog into metal which stops the same music being produced and reproduced. An example of this is Maiden, Maiden are one of the best metal bands on the planet and jet still black metal seems of copy maiden guitar lines as best they can. Not being a true black metal fan i can happly say that most black metal is dull along with most death metal. Where is the fun in playing as fast a you can without anything intresting to play.

I think metal has had bits of prog injected here and there. Sabbath did it, Maiden certainly did it, Queensryche did it. So many bands tend to try emulating other bands too much, even though metal as a genre really thrives on the bits that are injected from other styles of music. I think part of the problem in a lot of modern metal is people molding their views of music on which scene they're a part of. Here's the part where I start to sound like an old man: When I first started getting into heavy music, there were a few different sub-genres, but people pretty much listened to whatever they liked.....a Maiden fan probably had some Metallica and Megadeth albums, some Sabbath, some Priest, some UFO, Van Halen, Anthrax....whatever they thought rocked, no matter if it was happy hard rock like Van Halen, Speed Metal like Megadeth, or old-school sludgy metal like Sabbath. Think about a band like Maiden---who influenced them? Sabbath, Deep Purple, Genesis, Rush, UFO, Van Halen, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, Jethro Tull....Now it seems that people segregate themselves under the banners of the music that they like, and in the process prevent themselves from actually doing anything other than what everybody else is doing. Opeth is getting fairly popular---it won't be very long before everybody and their dog is trying to sound like them.

I'm very into prog, old and new.

Anglagard, Angra, Arcturus, Ark, Camel, Captain Beyond, ELP, Enchant, Evergrey, Fates Warning, Genesis, Gentle Giant, IQ, Jethro Tull, Kansas, King Crimson, Marillion, The Moody Blues, Nektar, Pain of Salvation, Pink Floyd, Van der Graaf Generator, Dream Theater, Green Carnation, Rush, Spocks Beard, Symphony X, Yes, TransAtlantic, and lots more.

You can check out any of the bands I mentioned, but everybody elses' reccomendations are just as good, so happy downloading to you.